• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Military Surplus Rifles

S

SHOOTER13

Just wondering if anyone else on this forum collects military rifles from WWI, WWII, the Korean War, or Vietnam War. Whether Allied or Axis...Friend or Foe...or from any other combatant nation. I would like to see pictures and hear the story behind the weapon...

Below is my M1 Garand... a Springfield build from November 1944...

Shown with an Adapter Grenade Projection M1a2 ( Lot UOD-500-12 1945 )...

a M1905 Bayonet {2nd Production-1942} ( 16" Blade / 4" Plastic Handle ) marked UC ( Utica ) 1942...

Not shown: M3 ( Detroit Gasket & Mfg Co. ) scabbard.

The M1 Garand is officially designated as United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 and was the first gas-operated semi-automatic "en-bloc" clip-fed rifle to be generally issued to the infantry of any nation. Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton, the Garand officially replaced the bolt-action M1903 Springfield as the standard service rifle of the United States Armed Forces in 1936 and was subsequently replaced by the selective fire M14 in 1957.

Nice Garand, Shooter!! My favorite rifle which I've yet to own, mainly due to 30.06 prices. I almost bought the Garand when I bought my Cammo M1A but after looking over ammo prices I chose the M1A.

I own a German K98 Russian Capture, Czech VZ24 Mauser and a Mosin Nagant 91/30.

The K98 Mauser, 8mm. This is the way I bought it and have since redone the gun. I wasn't going to but the Russian Captures are quite common.

Czech VZ24 Mauser, 8mm.

Mosin Nagant 91/30.

Love shooting all of these lately. I had my 590A1 out with the Czech Mauser a couple weeks ago and after shooting slugs out of the 590A1 the VZ24 felt like a 22lr!!! The VZ24 is a smooth straight shootin Mauser that feels like a Cadillac when firing it..

Very nice rifles Dave...

The ballistics of the 8mm Mauser and the 30-06 Springfield are not that different...both armies were well served by their ammo...but the semi-auto action and 8 round enbloc clip of the M1 made the difference in battle vs the K98's bolt action and 5 round internal magazine.

Thanks, Shooter.

I'm of to the gun club in about an hour and I'm torn as to what to bring. I was gonna bring my SCAR and the M1A as well as my tactical 10/22 for my wife to shoot but now I wanna bring the K98 and/or the Czech Mausser in place of the M1A..

Hey...take 'em all.

Enjoy the range and post a pic of a target or two when you get the chance...along with the rifle that shot it.

I've only got an old 42 Mosin Nagant 91/30, Its a fun shooter.
I almost had a deal with a Naval marksman who wanted to get married and didn't want to spend money on a wedding ring, But instead wanted to trade one of his M1's for it, Sadly it didn't work out :cry:

EDIT...
Here is a pic of my MN and another AR 15 I built
IMG_4475.jpg

Just the two Mosins for me...

1944 Izhevsh Mosin m44

1930 Tula "Hex" Mosin 91/30

On the hunt for an m38 as well...

Ya can't go wrong with a Mosin-Nagant...a battlefield staple since 1891 !!

The Russians originally chambered the rifle for 7.62x54mmR, but Polish variants are chambered for 7.62x57mm Mauser and Finnish variants have 7.62x53mmR chambers.

Other variants come from countries like Czechoslovakia, China, Estonia, Hungary, Romania, and even the United States...when the Russian government ordered 1.5 million M1891 infantry rifles from Remington Arms and another 1.8 million from New England Westinghouse before the outbreak of the October Revolution.

When the Bolsheviks took over the Russian government, they defaulted on the Imperial Russian contracts with the American arsenals, with the result that Remington and New England Westinghouse were stuck with hundreds of thousands of Mosin-Nagants. The US government eventually bought up the remaining stockpiles, saving both American companies from bankruptcy. Those rifles in turn were used to arm the US and British expeditionary forces sent to North Russia in 1918 and 1919.

The rifles still in the US ended up being primarily used as training firearms for the US Army. Some were used to equip US National Guard, SATC and ROTC units. Designated "U.S. Rifle, 7.62mm, Model of 1916", these are among the most obscure U.S. service arms.

You guys own some good looking pieces of history !!

I got to the club for some ballistic therapy but didn't shoot the K98 but I did dial my SCAR back in with new PWS brake. This is 100 yards sitting at a bench supporting the gun myself. Top 2" target was quick readjustment and the rest is history..

This a 2" splatter target, the first shot was the best one here..

This a 6" Splatter..

SCAR is dead on and I'm lovin this gun more and more, so much more I may be dealing some guns to get the SCAR-H...

Thanks LAZY, this one doesn't cease to amaze me. I've got it back to basics and finally have the brake it was suppose to come with. The Trijicon is almost like cheating and any other scope I own doesn't compare and not even close.

Some real accurate paper punchin' Dave...

The FN Herstal Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle { SCAR } L (LIGHT) fires the 5.56x45mm NATO and the SCAR-H (HEAVY) fires the 7.62x39mm M43 or the 7.62x51mm NATO round.

I think I would get the 7.62x51mm NATO as I already have an AKMS chambered for the M43.

Anybody else here want to share pics of their Military surplus rifles ?!

If I could figure out how to post pictures I would post pics of a 30 cal M1 Carbine manufactured by Rockola and completely restored by Miltech Arms. I bought this several years ago just before Clinton came into office and believe it or not has not been fired since it was restored. This along with a few other weapons are in my brothers gun safe back on the east coast. I am not sure that the state I am in now would like it if I had them with me. :lol: :D :roll:

Beat me to it Sniper...!!

Yea, man...I would love to see a pic of the carbine...please give it a try !! :cool:

I REALLY need to get some pics of my Pop's collection.

He's got his father's old M1 Garand and an old Inland Mfg./GM M1 Carbine. He's also got an old Japanese 6.5x50mm Ariska type 38 carbine his dad brought back from overseas. Really cool stuff...

I really want an M14, or M1... but the EBR kit would be awesome on an M14!!! Hellooooo 7 6 2!!!

whats been the favored or best way to find these 'ol relics? My grandfather served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam, I'm sad he passed away when I was too young to chat his ear off about his service weapons.

Back