• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mississippi wild hogs - with recipes

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Front page in the local rag today: Hogs on the move. Y'all are invited to come on down and shoot as many as you can. :) Partial excerpt, recipes are at the link:

Although they haven't yet achieved the status of Sherman's March to the Sea, Mississippi's rapidly growing wild hog population is cutting its own destructive swath through the state, and along the way exacting a heavy toll on the state's ecosystem.

Wild hogs, sometimes referred to as feral pigs, are swine that were once domesticated and were released or escaped into the wild. Their ability to reproduce quickly and insatiable appetite, have make wild hog sightings a common occurrence for Golden Triangle sportsmen and farmers. More significantly they present a growing problem without an obvious solution.

The hog are particularly prevalent in Clay County, says Dr. Bronson Strickland, Associate Extension Professor, Wildlife Ecology and Management at Mississippi State University. "There are some true Russian or European wild boar in Mississippi, but they were deliberately brought here and let loose for hunting, he says.

Lowndes County Agent Reid Nevins said wild hogs are not as common in Lowndes -- at least, not yet.

"We don't have the number of wild pigs here in Lowndes County that have in, say, Clay County or Monroe County," Nevins said. "It's coming. It's only matter of time."

Strickland said that even though wild hogs are capable of breeding a couple of times a year, one of the major problems is the transporting of wild hogs.

"This is one of the biggest things we have to stop," Strickland said. "People like to transport wild hogs and let them loose in other areas so they can later hunt them. They don't think it's hurting anything but it is. The pig population expands naturally and that is a big enough problem. The transportation of hogs, which is illegal, only makes it worse."

Feral hogs can also be a threat to public health. According to research gathered by the MSU Extension Service, wild pigs are known carriers of at least 45 different parasites and diseases that pose threats to livestock, pets, wildlife and, in some cases, humans.

The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks has deemed wild hogs a nuisance species, allowing landowners to hunt them year-round without restrictions. They can be hunted with bait, such as corn and can even be hunted with dogs or trapped.

Ground zero for hogs

Pheba is a small community in western Clay County about 18 miles west of West Point. It has its own post office, zip code and Pheba's Diner, the local spot for biscuit breakfasts, plate lunches and burgers. The community is home to Hebron Christian Academy and miles and miles of prime hunting land.

It also the home to large infestation of wild hogs that are leaving a visible path of destruction as their numbers increase.

Read more: http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.a ... z2KVF3AJa3

Looks like we have a volunteer to host the first annual "Mossberg Owners Pig Hunt and BBQ"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We're supposed to have wild pigs here in MI and pretty much anyone with any type of hunting license or concealed carry permit can shoot them. I've tried and cannot find them anywhere not have I been able to find anyone that has seen any. But the DNR says they are a problem. ;)

Many farmers around here that would be glad to have a pig posse come on their property and hunt the things. Can't really use a helo, because most of the land is heavily wooded around streams and rivers where they like to hang out. So boots on the ground is about the only way. AR's, M-14's, Saiga shotguns with drums, etc. and large cap mags are fine. This is WAR! :D

I have a pig roasting box and am willing to travel!!! :D :D :D

dam gunny,,,,send me the coordinates. sure beats the 2 foot snow we got up here friday.
"i'm gettin to old for this chit" :)

old mossy said:
dam gunny,,,,send me the coordinates. sure beats the 2 foot snow we got up here friday.

Just look up Pheba, MS on Google Earth. Or Monroe County. They hang out in the cypress swamps and bottom land along the Tombigbee waterway and it's tributaries. Bring something along for cottonmouths also. :shock:

My uncle's alfalfa fields in east Texas are over run with wild hogs.

The land owners of the adjoining property are running helo hunts and it's driving more hogs into his fields. They're tearing up his fences and even burrowing under one of his sheds. Damn things'll destroy just about anything they come in contact with...

GunnyGene said:
old mossy said:

Just look up Pheba, MS on Google Earth. Or Monroe County. They hang out in the cypress swamps and bottom land along the Tombigbee waterway and it's tributaries. Bring something along for cottonmouths also. :shock:

,,,,,,,cottonmouths,,,,,,,maybe i'll stay with snow. :D

GunnyGene said:
Many farmers around here that would be glad to have a pig posse come on their property and hunt the things. Can't really use a helo, because most of the land is heavily wooded around streams and rivers where they like to hang out. So boots on the ground is about the only way. AR's, M-14's, Saiga shotguns with drums, etc. and large cap mags are fine. This is WAR! :D

How far from Tuscaloosa are you? Do you have an Alabama license to hunt?

PIMking said:
GunnyGene said:

How far from Tuscaloosa are you? Do you have an Alabama license to hunt?

About 75 miles. No 'bama license. No MS license for that matter (over 65).

I WANT IN ON THIS HUNT/BBQ!!!
I aint afraid of no snakes...LOL!
I got me a lever 30-30 that would love to take some wild pork!

MSU (Mississippi State U) has a pretty good website devoted to wild hog info. Traps, etc., in case anyone is interested. Of note is that poisons are not allowed due to potential harm to other species, pets, etc. http://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/index.html

There's also a number of websites that either sell or provide info for making and setting up snares. Google "wild hog snare" .

Back