• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MMR firing out of battery

Has anyone encountered an MMR that will fire with the bolt pulled slightly to the rear and held an inch or two out of battery? I have a rifle that does this, and I think is very unsafe. I'm trying to see if others have encountered this with MMRs.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Slim Jim !!

Have you taken the rifle down and cleaned the bolt real well...then oiled it to run a function test !?

Thank you Shooter13,

Yes, the rifle has been cleaned and function tested.

It is not my rifle. When it was handed to me to look at, the first thing I did was check to make sure it was not loaded and then a function test.

I usually do an out-of-battery test after that, and when I did I was surprised to find that it would fire when the bolt was held an inch or two out of battery.

However, I did not do that with a live cartridge in the chamber.

So...it doesn't fire out of battery unless YOU hold the bolt back an inch or two...

Gotta see if my AR will function that way...next time I go to the range ( tomorrow )...

I work with firearms on a daily basis, and I have performed an out-of-battery test on quite a few ARs. The ones I have tested normally would not fire out of battery ... However, this is the first MMR I have tested.

Have you tested any Olympic Arms AR's...mine dates back to the mid-Clintonian AWB era !?

Yes ... Olympic Arms, Colt, Bushmaster, DPMS - Panther Arms, Cavalry Rifles, and quite a few others older and newer. It's a test I normally do with a semiautomatic firearm (pistol, rifle, or shotgun) the first time I handle it.

And your "out of battery" function test findings on the Olympic Arms carbine were...?

You are the first and only person I have ever heard do this and i cant understand why you would do it. What exactly is this test supposed to check or prove?

The bolt would have to be rotated closed before the firing pin would strike a primer. But you can release the hammer while the bolt is slightly rearward. I do this when storing my weapons to prevent loss of spring tension on my hammer. But I'd never do it with a live round. Just an empty chamber.

Also, the fire control group on the mossbergowners.com is no different than any other AR. AKs SKS MP5S and a host of other guns will drop the hammer with the bolt open or slightly open.

I have not found an Olympic Arms that would fire out of battery.

I work in the Firearms Section of a crime laboratory, and we receive firearms in a variety of conditions. Some of the firearms we receive have been altered, and that is another check that I perform on each firearm. The means of altering a firearm are as varied as the imagination of those who do the altering. Some will fire without the bolt being fully forward, and you could have an unintended discharge in that condition. I have heard of several unintended discharges within my profession. I have seen firing pins extend much farther forward than you would expect. Therefore, I tend to err on the side of caution.

I know several of the men that work @ oly personally.

An AR will drop the hammer with the bolt slightly open (including Oly and virtually any semi auto rifle).

But when the bolt is open, the firing pin on an ar isn't long enough to light a primer. Or at least isn't supposed to be. Not that i would want to try that.

Often times even simply chambering a round in an AR will dimple the primer but shouldn't light it off.

Back