• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MMR Hunter Handguard Removal

RTR

Copper BB
I have a MMR Hunter (camo wrapped) and I’m looking for information on removing the handguard. I’ll be reins all of the OEM parts, just need to remove the barrel to have it sent out for threading. I’ve read a couple of older blogs (2013-14) on the proposed process. Anyone have any recent experience in doing this? Is the handguard threaded onto the barrel nut? Looking down into the handguard, it appears the gas tube runs through a milled recess in the interior of the handguard that would preclude the handguard from being threaded? Is this an optical illusion?

Any info on removal process and tools utilized is much appreciated.

If it is like a standard AR, the handguard could be held in place by a spring-loaded delta ring and the tool pictured is used to compress the spring to assist handguard removal. If it is like some other ARs with a floating barrel, the handguard could be screwed onto the barrel nut and you might need a strap wrench to assist with unscrewing. Or it might be clamped somehow. Pictures would be helpful here... ;)

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

deltatool.JPG

Back