• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MMR HUNTER

What about the difference in muzzle velocity with different length barrels ?

There is a slight loss in MV with shorter lengths, but the results on target will be negligible out to 300 yd or so. You likely wouldn't notice any difference shooting two rifles of different lengths side by side until you reach out to 500 yd and beyond...

There is a slight loss in MV with shorter lengths, but the results on target will be negligible out to 300 yd or so. You likely wouldn't notice any difference shooting two rifles of different lengths side by side until you reach out to 500 yd and beyond...
Is there much difference between bullet groups say between a 16 and 18 inch barrel??

Little to none.

Selecting the proper ammo to pair with the twist rate in the barrel will go much further toward putting up tight groups than a couple extra inches of barrel. Again, there won't be much difference either way out to 300 yd...

barrel length has not much of anything to do with groups in the since of velocity loss or gain.
That's what elevation adjustments are for.
Now if your rifle has the remote chance of trying to kill something at yardage or your trying to meet velocity #'s to match a BDC reticle then pay attention to velocity, velocity is killing power along with mass.
The ONLY way to pay attention to velocity is to use a chronograph, other than that you are just guessing and basing everything on a guess.....don't care what the manufacturer puts on the box, its wrong or inflated to sell or just simply wrong and various speeds out of yours, mine and his barrel.
Barrel material, type of rifling also have an effect on velocity
Accuracy is arguably better with a shorter barrel all else being equal.
A shorter barrel is stiffer, a stiffer barrel is more consistently accurate than a whippy barrel.
Go too short get real stiff, loose velocity but gain consistency in grouping.

That's only the tip of the iceberg of accurately shooting equipment......... now shooting accurately is an entire different conversation because it really is the Indian not the arrow

Last edited:
barrel length has not much of anything to do with groups in the since of velocity loss or gain.
That's what elevation adjustments are for.
Now if your rifle has the remote chance of trying to kill something at yardage or your trying to meet velocity #'s to match a BDC reticle then pay attention to velocity, velocity is killing power along with mass.
The ONLY way to pay attention to velocity is to use a chronograph, other than that you are just guessing and basing everything on a guess.....don't care what the manufacturer puts on the box, its wrong or inflated to sell or just simply wrong and various speeds out of yours, mine and his barrel.
Barrel material, type of rifling also have an effect on velocity
Accuracy is arguably better with a shorter barrel all else being equal.
A shorter barrel is stiffer, a stiffer barrel is more consistently accurate than a whippy barrel.
Go too short get real stiff, loose velocity but gain consistency in grouping.

That's only the tip of the iceberg of accurately shooting equipment......... now shooting accurately is an entire different conversation because it really is the Indian not the arrow
Thanks for the info,
I had read on barrel harmonics and the fact that a short bull barrel vibrates les.
What would be your choice in barrel length and twist rate in an AR 10 for medium to long range ??

I hate to answer a question with a question but can you tell me wht you consider long range ?

Also, what are you doing with the rifle ?

I have seen 1000 yard shots , on steel, with 9mm wheel gun

I have seen 1000 yard shots on steel with iron sighted, 20" AR 15 using military ammo

Hello everyone!
I'm new here, and have a new MMR Hunter.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a front sight that can be clamped on the handguard or the barrel.
I have a detachable A2 style carrying handle with the aperture rear sight.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hello everyone!
I'm new here, and have a new MMR Hunter.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a front sight that can be clamped on the handguard or the barrel.
I have a detachable A2 style carrying handle with the aperture rear sight.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Don't think you have much in the way of options for attaching a sight to the handguard itself. But, there are plenty of options for clamp on A3-type front sight bases. Most of them are replacement gas block/sight combos, but should work just fine for what you're looking to accomplish. Most will be spec'd to fit .750 diameter barrels, so first you'll need to measure the barrel diameter where you intend to mount the sight. Personally I like the A.R.M.S. collapsible design...

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...silhouette-folding-front-sight-prod26728.aspx

There are several companies that make clamp on front sight bases including PRI, Vltor, Midwest Industries, and Yankee Hill Machine to name a few...

Don't think you have much in the way of options for attaching a sight to the handguard itself. But, there are plenty of options for clamp on A3-type front sight bases. Most of them are replacement gas block/sight combos, but should work just fine for what you're looking to accomplish. Most will be spec'd to fit .750 diameter barrels, so first you'll need to measure the barrel diameter where you intend to mount the sight. Personally I like the A.R.M.S. collapsible design...

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...silhouette-folding-front-sight-prod26728.aspx

There are several companies that make clamp on front sight bases including PRI, Vltor, Midwest Industries, and Yankee Hill Machine to name a few...

Thank you very much Lazy Eyed Sniper!
I'm going to look into all you have mentioned.

I've read just about every post regarding the MMR Hunter and Tactical. One member posted that he " followed a barrel break-in procedure".
I'm not familiar with this process, can some provide some insight?

Depends on the type of barrel and what you intend to do with the rifle.

Some people follow a rigorous step-by-step procedure and others will tell you it's pointless. I tend to be in the camp that sees advantages to both, but in the end it all depends on what you're looking to use the rifle for. If I'm looking to squeeze every bit of repeatable accuracy out of a match grade barrel for precision shooting I'll go through a slow break-in process which involves shooting single rounds and cleaning the barrel in between (cliff notes version). There are literally hundreds of pages on AR-15 forums all over the web with endless debate on the process itself and the need for it. If it's a defensive weapon or something I'm going to use to smack steel silhouettes and put a LOT of rounds through I don't bother. In that case I just shoot the piss out of it from the get go...

Back