• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MMR Tactical Review

ArmyVet14

Copper BB
First, I am a retired Soldier. That said, I have extensive knowledge of the Colt rifles, but not so much about the Mossberg line.

I purchased a MMR several months ago. I picked it up because it was inexpensive through Budsgunshop.com in the Police supply side. I paid $675 for it delivered. I figured it would be fine for my son and I to use for recreational purposes.

When I received it, I was surprised at how nice everything looked. Even the gas key stakes looked correct when compared to the Colt stakes. I decided to shoot it for a while before going too crazy buying things for it. Before shooting, I had to pick up a pair of sights....didn't come equipped for whatever reason. However, I did get a 30rd magazine.

After shooting several hundred rounds, without a single failure of any sort, my son and I decided that we'd keep this rifle. Normally, if it's something we do not enjoy, it gets sold as quickly as possible. We agreed to go with OD Green as our accent color.

OD Green Magpul ACS Stock...milspec
OD Green Picatinny Ladder Rail Covers
OD Green Magpul MOE Pistol Grip
OD Green Pmags 30rd
MaTech Rear Sight
G&G Flip Up Aluminum Front Sight
BlackHawk 2 Point Sling
Lucid HD7 Gen III Red Dot Sight
Zombie Engraved Dust Cover
Zombie Engraved Magazine Catch

As mentioned, this rifle shot quite well. It remains accurate with any ammunition. I did buy some reload ammunition that seemed to have difficulty repeating POI. I attribute that to the fellow who loaded it. All other ammunition did fantastic.

The rifle lacks a forward assist. Doesn't bother me in the least, but some folks seem troubled by it. I've been in combat engagements, throughout multiple tours in Afghanistan, and never once used the forward assist. The main reasons of the forward assist are primarily stealth and fussy bullets seating in dirty chambers.

If you are not certain that a round is chambered and pull rearward on the charging handle, you can see if the round is physically chambered before engaging your target. However, if noise discipline is in effect, you slowly guide the charging handle forward while engaging the assist to fully chamber the round and lock the bolt, with little to no noise at all.

If the assist is to be used to force a round into chamber and lock the bolt, just remain aware that you may end up with a case stuck in chamber...requiring you to rod it back out.

In the end, the forward assist is a nifty idea, but not necessary on a fully functional rifle.

Iron sight shooting was fine. The ability to hit a 6 inch steel plate at 200 yards was not difficult. We were using 55 grain bullets at the time. It was easy enough to do that we started timing 10 round groups of shots...to see who could hit them the fastest. We did this off a bench rest. So repeatable shots are definitely noteworthy.

Would I recommend this rifle to other people? Sure. The price is low enough to have money left over to make it look and do what you want it to. The AR Concept has been around long enough to have other manufacturers duplicate it at varying price points. Will you get a better AR from Colt? Of course. Only the individual can decide whether the extra money and purpose of use makes it worth it to spend the extra money.

I have no complaints of the fit/finish of this rifle. Everything I have bought for it has fit correctly and looks the same as it would on a Colt product. This is not a complaint, but I have to note that MMR does not have a chrome lined barrel. If a chrome lined barrel is a must have, then this rifle isn't for you. It does come with a muzzle brake styled like the A2 cage.

My son truly loves this rifle, which will be completely his when he moves out of the house. It's been very enjoyable for the both of us.

If you are on the fence, I encourage you to go to the gun shows and physically handle the MMR and several of the others out there to compare which one you like. I looked at a ton of rifles before deciding that this one will come home with us. I've owned Mossberg shotguns and found their reliability to be outstanding and felt that their rifles may be equally reliable.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Welcome aboard Sir.

First, many thanks to you for serving. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with your new MMR. Glad to see it's working out for you and your son. We'd love to see some pics if you get a chance...

Welcome to the forum from NY.

,,,,,and,,,,,

Attachments

• TY flag.jpg
    TY flag.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 173
nice write up, I haven't even had the chance to handle one but its nice to hear approval

Nice write up, you obviously put some thought into this and it good to hear feedback from someone with real experience with the platform.

I've only used the forward assist once, and it was with some cheap ammo when the gun was very dirty and only after I verified the barrel was clear. I'm usually scared as hell to just hit it without first making sire there's not a bullet lodged down the pipe.

Good to hear they are doing a good job staking the gas key, that seems to be a fail point for many.

I have used the FA once as well, but it was a reload that the brass snuck through without getting trimmed, when it crimped with the seating of the bullet it pooched out the shoulder a bit.....sticking the shell out of battery.....using the forward assist made it much worse lol, actually couldn't get it out without grabbing the charging handle and giving the butt a nice strike it the ground

I have seen so many troops jam the rifles badly using the FA. They also beak the pawl on the inside of the upper receiver causing that to bind into it's own remains...talk about bad ideas! Keep hitting it until something moves or breaks.... Gotta love young troops.

Thank you all for the greetings.

ArmyVet14 said:
I have seen so many troops jam the rifles badly using the FA. They also beak the pawl on the inside of the upper receiver causing that to bind into it's own remains...talk about bad ideas! Keep hitting it until something moves or breaks.... Gotta love young troops.

Thank you all for the greetings.

Wait... so you're not supposed to use a mallet on your FA? :lol:

Welcome to the forum ArmyVet, and much thanks for your review of the MMR!

1zoeqld.jpg

Back