• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model M - here is a couple you don't see too often

Headhunter2

.270 WIN
0YhcJpA.jpg
sRloSQT.jpg

These are a work in progress as both were bought as "parts guns". I have one working now but lots of FTF . Found that out at the range today. Still working on that issue. These are both late models but the bolt I am using is an early model I think.

I love it when people restore old guns. Just having that spare has probably saved you a fortune in parts alone. That's what I went through recently with an old bolt action shotgun.

The FTF may be something as simple as needing to clean out around the firing pin channel. Maybe some rust. Maybe a lot of grime and fouling. May even be a weak hammer spring. Maybe even a broken firing pin? But if you got the restoration this far, I'm sure you probably already know what to look for.

I'm going to congratulate you now for getting it this far.

Thanks John, I ended up pulling the parts from the first one and using them in the second. The action was then hard to jerk closed but smoothed out after some work and shooting. The safety needed changed over to be original, then didn't work. That was a quick fix. Took the bolt apart and cleaned it (also filed some metal on the sides). It appears the firing pin is a little worn as still the odd FTF. (very little dents in case) My first range trip (first M) I was using .22 shorts as the receiver is not in the best shape. The change over to the latter M lets me use LR standard velocity (I will stay away from high velocity).

Back