• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modern but Rustic - My potential new pair (856 Defender and 10/22 M1)

ricky_bobby

.270 WIN
So, the Henry Big Boy 357 Carbine with side gate loading is out of stock for the forseeable future that I was jonesing for - I'm sure I'll get one someday -

In the interim, I have a 10/22 Takedown that my wife absolutely loves to shoot (who doesnt love shooting a 10/22?) and I hate to have 'lonely onlys' that people can't enjoy as a pair - Rarely go shooting by myself anyway - so I think I may want to pick up another - Basic wood stocked version with blued barrel and receiver is just under $300 - for another $140 I can have this version- I think its worth it, just for the exclusivity factor, If I'm going to spend money I might as well spend it on 'special editions' - thoughts? Rustic being the M1 design and modern being in a 10/22 rimfire -

DSC06370.jpg

Which brings me to revolvers - Colt King Cobra Target 4" is one of my dream revolvers (Really its the new Python but having a young child its hard to justify) - I have a Taurus 605 in stainless which treats me well and I really enjoy it - A S&W 642 Pro Series for when I want to pocket carry, and my wifes grandfather's model 66 which he passed down to me (I have to polish it up some but its in great shape)

A less expensive 6-shot 38 came to mind - and since my Taurus experience has been positive I am loving this Tungsten version of the 856 Defender, 3" barrel and beautiful Altamont wood grips - the grips themselves are $60 normally - Modern version of the 6 shot revolver with the front night sight and Cerakote finish -

856 extra grip.jpg

Am I crazy to be spending north of $400 each on a 6-shot 38 and a 10/22, even if they both are "special" or limited runs? I think these are special enough to pass on to my son someday (if he has the interest and as I alluded to in other threads), not heirlooms, but special runs of popular models.

I've wasted more money on less.

I'll be honest, I have a 7 shot taurus 357 model 66 and it's been a really good gun. The one I have is the 6" combat master style. I like shooting it a lot. And being stainless, made me feel better about it too.

$400 on the 10/22, that's a bit steep for my taste, but then again, there are people that spend $400 on after market barrels and triggers and other junk all the time.

You only get 1 trip on earth, you may as well be happy.

Looks like a pretty good pair. One of my wish list items is a revolver and a lever gun in the same caliber. I’m saving this for one of my last firearm purchases. I could signal me selling off all others except for a shotgun or 2!

Lever gun as I alluded to previously for me is going to be a 357 Mag - I really want a Henry Big Boy Carbine but they are just scarce and crazy expensive ($1k+) so I will wait until a special time or when they are available more

Yes the $400+ for a 10/22 is up there - The M1 style is sort of special so thats why I sort of was weighing whether its worth it, ideally I'd like to have two - the peep sights may be more fun to shoot - And you're right, people buy triggers and crap that exceed 3x the cost of the rifle - Only thing I added to my other 10/22 was about $80 of Kidd parts but factory bolt and trigger - If I bought this M1 version I'd leave it as is- As I mentioned, the best price I can find on the Hardwood stock, basic 10/22 is $300, so its about a 50% delta for this 'M1 Style' which is a Talo exclusive.

The only other thing I really am mulling over is a Kel Tec Sub 2000 9mm, Glock 19 mags (since I have multiple G19's), in nickel boron finish - that one I'm having a hard pill swallowing at almost $600, but a foldable backpack PCC, fills a niche I do not have and a niche that is not solved by AR pistols -

Last edited:
The KelTec Sub2K is out everywhere and at $600+ I'm not exactly running to get one, although I love it for what it is (super light, super compact, deploys quick etc) - at those prices I'd probably be happier with one of the Ruger PC Carbine models, either the standard one since the Magpul backpacker stock is out, or the chassis model with the adjustable stock -

For $280ish on the standard 10/22 I don't mind having a second one to plink with - thinking out loud, the M1 version looks cool but its really a lot more for looks.

I am leaning towards the standard model with the Magpul Backpacker stock because it will give me the truck gun/backpack capability and the half pound the Magpul stock saves in weight brings it to 6.3 pounds unloaded, as opposed to the tacticool looking version which although its great in itself, at 7.2 lbs for a pistol carbine is a bit heavy IMO.

So, the Henry Big Boy 357 Carbine with side gate loading is out of stock for the forseeable future that I was jonesing for - I'm sure I'll get one someday -

In the interim, I have a 10/22 Takedown that my wife absolutely loves to shoot (who doesnt love shooting a 10/22?) and I hate to have 'lonely onlys' that people can't enjoy as a pair - Rarely go shooting by myself anyway - so I think I may want to pick up another - Basic wood stocked version with blued barrel and receiver is just under $300 - for another $140 I can have this version- I think its worth it, just for the exclusivity factor, If I'm going to spend money I might as well spend it on 'special editions' - thoughts? Rustic being the M1 design and modern being in a 10/22 rimfire -

View attachment 26561

Which brings me to revolvers - Colt King Cobra Target 4" is one of my dream revolvers (Really its the new Python but having a young child its hard to justify) - I have a Taurus 605 in stainless which treats me well and I really enjoy it - A S&W 642 Pro Series for when I want to pocket carry, and my wifes grandfather's model 66 which he passed down to me (I have to polish it up some but its in great shape)

A less expensive 6-shot 38 came to mind - and since my Taurus experience has been positive I am loving this Tungsten version of the 856 Defender, 3" barrel and beautiful Altamont wood grips - the grips themselves are $60 normally - Modern version of the 6 shot revolver with the front night sight and Cerakote finish -

View attachment 26562

Am I crazy to be spending north of $400 each on a 6-shot 38 and a 10/22, even if they both are "special" or limited runs? I think these are special enough to pass on to my son someday (if he has the interest and as I alluded to in other threads), not heirlooms, but special runs of popular models.
As an old wood working guy that walnut furniture on that rifle is off the charts!!

The KelTec Sub2K is out everywhere and at $600+ I'm not exactly running to get one, although I love it for what it is (super light, super compact, deploys quick etc) - at those prices I'd probably be happier with one of the Ruger PC Carbine models, either the standard one since the Magpul backpacker stock is out, or the chassis model with the adjustable stock -

For $280ish on the standard 10/22 I don't mind having a second one to plink with - thinking out loud, the M1 version looks cool but its really a lot more for looks.

I am leaning towards the standard model with the Magpul Backpacker stock because it will give me the truck gun/backpack capability and the half pound the Magpul stock saves in weight brings it to 6.3 pounds unloaded, as opposed to the tacticool looking version which although its great in itself, at 7.2 lbs for a pistol carbine is a bit heavy IMO.
I shoulda bought a Sub2000 when they were retailing for around $400CAD a little less than a decade ago. They're up to $800+CAD now and are certainly at the top end of what I would ever pay for one.

I like that M1 stock. I re-stocked my stainless 10/22 with a nice sporterized, hardwood stock that loses the traditional barrel band. Looks kinda classy.

Yeah I'm still mulling over the basic hardwood stock vs. that $150 additional for the M1 version - The 856 3" I am also now debating whether I want the Tungsten Cerakoted version or the regular Stainless steel (I can buy the walnut grip from Taurus) but I think it would be a great addition

The Sub2K you are correct, is just way out of league, the prices are ridiculous - I'd probably feel better with a PC Carbine with the Magpul Backpacker stock on it if I am spending $600+ on a 9mm pistol carbine -

Sure it doesnt fold up like the Sub2K, isn't as light, but does meet the criteria

If I save the $150 on the M1 10/22 I could put it towards a 9mm carbine, but then I'd be losing the exclusivity I mentioned in my original post, although a basic hardwood 10/22 still can age and have meaning too :)

Attachments

• MAG1076-Hero_Magpul_PC_Backpacker_Stock__Ruger_PC_Carbine_01.1.jpg
    MAG1076-Hero_Magpul_PC_Backpacker_Stock__Ruger_PC_Carbine_01.1.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 2
Many of you already know that I'm a HUGE fan of pistol caliber carbines and such. I'm not even going to make a guess as to how many I own or have owned over the years. I just love to shoot them.

While a 10/22 has its' place, and can certainly put a lot of food on the table with one, I love my 9mms, 45's, 38/357's etc.

If you don't have a 22LR, I certainly wouldn't suggest never buying one. In fact, if you don't, you can find a used one about anywhere and should get it. Even flea markets and yard sales if you don't mind getting a bill of sale.

But I love the bigger pistol cals.

If you're pinching pennies, even the hi-point carbines are good. You can often find them in the 300'ish ballpark and will shoot just as well and just as far as a $3000 mp5 or B&T.

Everyone should have some form of pistol caliber carbine in their stable.

You don't have to spend an ungodly amount of money to get into one either.

You can, but you don't have to.

The ruger is a decent choice too.

Many of you already know that I'm a HUGE fan of pistol caliber carbines and such. I'm not even going to make a guess as to how many I own or have owned over the years. I just love to shoot them.

While a 10/22 has its' place, and can certainly put a lot of food on the table with one, I love my 9mms, 45's, 38/357's etc.

If you don't have a 22LR, I certainly wouldn't suggest never buying one. In fact, if you don't, you can find a used one about anywhere and should get it. Even flea markets and yard sales if you don't mind getting a bill of sale.

But I love the bigger pistol cals.

If you're pinching pennies, even the hi-point carbines are good. You can often find them in the 300'ish ballpark and will shoot just as well and just as far as a $3000 mp5 or B&T.

Everyone should have some form of pistol caliber carbine in their stable.

You don't have to spend an ungodly amount of money to get into one either.

You can, but you don't have to.

The ruger is a decent choice too.
I love me a little PCC action too. If things were different, I'd have more. But with the current gun control loving libs in power, I'm biding my time. This spring will see the expiry of the amnesty for the May 1, 2020 gun ban on about 1500 different models of mostly black rifles PLUS the hundreds of models they've been very quietly adding to the ban list for the past year and a half. (Think you can get the media to bite on that one?? Not a chance.) Of course, first up is always the semi auto's, but we'll see what the spring brings. Whether they're going to criminalize us permanently or come up with some other hare-brained scheme, who knows?

Next on the list regardless, is the just about the same as above...the Henry Big Boy Silver in 357 for the wife. She's enjoyed shooting her 410 single so much, she wants more rounds on target! LOL! They're pricey up here but I'm confident the Henry will hold its value.

410's are expensive everywhere buddy.

You have a canoe Cmcdonald?

Of course not.

It sank when you went through that swarm of hungry beavers. Along with every gun you owned.

Barely escaped with your life, didn't you? Good thing you had that wooden oar to distract them with. Otherwise, it would've probably ended up a lot different ending wouldn't it?

Guys, the rumor regarding Ruger Marlin 1894 is that it will be offered first in two calibers - 45 and 357.

No date yet but we should be seeing the 336 released next in 30-30 Win and 35 Rem. Probably within a few months.

I'm hoping that down the road they will offer one in 10MM.

Regards

410's are expensive everywhere buddy.

You have a canoe Cmcdonald?

Of course not.

It sank when you went through that swarm of hungry beavers. Along with every gun you owned.

Barely escaped with your life, didn't you? Good thing you had that wooden oar to distract them with. Otherwise, it would've probably ended up a lot different ending wouldn't it?
Yessir! Barely came out with my life!! One of those gosh darn beavers slapped me so hard, nearly killed me. And, just for clarity's sake it was a paddle and it was aluminum.

I'm glad you made it.

Still sorry for your loss though. I still have bad dreams and shivers thinking about it.

I love me a little PCC action too. If things were different, I'd have more. But with the current gun control loving libs in power, I'm biding my time. This spring will see the expiry of the amnesty for the May 1, 2020 gun ban on about 1500 different models of mostly black rifles PLUS the hundreds of models they've been very quietly adding to the ban list for the past year and a half. (Think you can get the media to bite on that one?? Not a chance.) Of course, first up is always the semi auto's, but we'll see what the spring brings. Whether they're going to criminalize us permanently or come up with some other hare-brained scheme, who knows?

Next on the list regardless, is the just about the same as above...the Henry Big Boy Silver in 357 for the wife. She's enjoyed shooting her 410 single so much, she wants more rounds on target! LOL! They're pricey up here but I'm confident the Henry will hold its value.

I had to read the beginning part of yours - and even though there is an illegitamite regime "in power" here now, after I re-read I realized you were north of the border - jeez they put you through some crap up there -

Just mulling over, I may put a Ruger PCC on layaway, I only am considering because of the Magpul backpacker stock - I still may get a Sub2K but they are just stupid expensive - The PC Charger intrigued me but the receiver extension adapter plus another SBA3 brace puts me into AR9 build cost territory

Henry's based Youth model with blued steel and walnut is in the low-mid 300's so I may do that before another 10/22 - decisions....

Don't discount an AR-9 that takes Glock mags if you have a Glock. Carbine (16") of course. I don't understand why anyone would want an 8" or 10" AR-9 "pistol"... :rolleyes:

Maybe you're just doing it wrong.:cheers:

16" AR9 is also a good choice - I have a few Aero Precision builds so I was mulling over their EPC9 line to build one - I have to add my costs up but it should be a good amount more than the Ruger PCC even when adding the Magpul backpacker stock. Its kind of my hole that I dont have a Glock mag long gun yet (not that I 'need' one)

So after Shot show it looks like Taurus is doing the 357Mag model 605 in the 3" barrel "Defender" series as well - Its still a 5-shot though, so I don't know if its any more useful to have a 1" longer barrel version of a gun I already have - the 'regular' stainless 856 Defender is about $350 from Kentucky Gun right now so I may throw one of those on hold and just buy the walnut grip from Taurus direct - Tungsten Cerakote is nice and all, just not sure if it will offer me something more than the regular stainless in regards to corrosion resistance, holster wear etc (not like Cerakote is on the bore)

The 3" 605 Defender is great if I didnt already have the 2" - I wish the 605 Defender had a 6 shot cylinder it would be really hard to pass up - I think I'd rather have a 6 shot 3" barrel instead of giving up a shot, to take 357's...

(As a reference, my other revolvers besides my Model 605 is a pocket carried S&W 642, and I have a Model 66 K-Frame from my wifes grandfather)

Last edited:
I just saw a complete 16" ar9 upper (used) the other day for under $300 shipped. But, finding all the parts to finish it if you're in a hurry, may take a while.

Cerakote is "ok"----ish, but not great. If you want stainless, get stainless. Don't expect cerakote or any other finish to protect the metal as well as actual stainless. Think of it like the paint on your car.

which will get scratched and dinged the very first time you take it to the grocery store, exposing the raw metal underneath which will eventually rust.

Like I said, if you want stainless, hold out and get stainless.

I love my 7 shot model 66 taurus. Which literally just shy of some of the lever action guns' capacity. Great deal if you can find one.

errr... I should say I love my wifes model 66.

Stainless it is - I agree - I stick with stainless for revolvers - Now question whether I should take an extra shot, or just get an inch longer barrel with a night sight in the same 5 shot I already have -

Local shop has a Sub2K with Glock 19 mags - I didnt ask how much but maybe I'll go take a ride for it - The Ruger PC9 is nice too though

I really should go back to truck mods and get off the gun listings...

Back