• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modify gas spring to shoot low brass

finalflighttx

Copper BB
Hey this is my first post and like most of you on this forum I love my 935 for waterfowl and most all mag loads (even 2 3/4" Mags). I am however having problems cycling the cheaper trap and skeet loads from my gun. On DHC.com I was told that you could replace the gas spring in the barrel lug with one from a 930 and it will fix this to were it will shoot any 12ga load. I know that I bought the gun for mag loads and as a duck gun but it would be pretty cool if I could use it for everything I hunt from dove to deer! I am willing to make this modification to my gun if I can find the spring Mossberg clearly wont send the part and I cant find it any were on line is there any place or does anyone have the part. Thanks for all of the info that you all can provide it's great to be a part of this forum!

Welcome to MO! Glad you like the info.

You stated Mossberg won't send the spring. Have you contacted them? I recently ordered a standard 930 mag spring for my JM...took a while but they shipped it. Not sure why they wouldn't send one to you.

Fellows, just my experance,when I first got my 930 spx bw. I bought 100 rounds low brass to kinda break it in.
During that 100 rounds I had 5-6 hang ups. I REALLY belive thu low brass does not have enough power to cycle my 930.
So no more low brass for me .Lazy eyed sniper, thanks for that up on 1200 fps, I take your word
and ill be unloading all I have under 1200 fps.
thanks

No problem.

I usually stick to the 1300-1400fps range in mine. Heavier mass defensive ammo helps with reliable cycling as well...

My 930 runs the 1150fps bulk box stuff great, regardless of whether I have the 18.5 barrel, or the 28 inch barrel on it. I love my 930!

I shot half a case of skeet, this past weekend, and had two rounds fail to feed out of probably 70 rounds. Those two rounds were early on and happened using Winchester ammo.

I was using a mix of the el cheapo Federal and Winchester round from WalMart.

My 935 pro-series waterfowl had problems with low brass 3 Dram 1 1/8 the first time I shot it right out of the box. I then found this site and read up on the products made by Or3gun and after I installed a Marine spacer tube, follower, and forearm retainer it will just barely eject those shells now but it does eat them.

If I try and shoot as fast as I can it will not feed and most times the last shell stays in the gun but If I shoot at a normal speed it functions fine. The fired shells only fly out of the gun maybe 6''. I knew this gun would probably not function well with those lighter shells so I'm happy with what I have got it to do with them.

Fellows, just my experance,when I first got my 930 spx bw. I bought 100 rounds low brass to kinda break it in.
During that 100 rounds I had 5-6 hang ups. I REALLY belive thu low brass does not have enough power to cycle my 930.
So no more low brass for me .Lazy eyed sniper, thanks for that up on 1200 fps, I take your word
and ill be unloading all I have under 1200 fps.
thanks
Just stay away from Winchester and you should be OK. I've used Estate and Remington under 1200 and it worked fine. Winchester was giving me 2 FTE or FTFs per box.

The Winchester bulk pack low brass is horrible. I can't even get many of them to feed through a pump. Let alone anything else. The ones I had tended to swell and not chamber good.

But back on subject, I recently got a Charles Daly semi-auto that is chambered for 3-1/2 inch shells. Since they're made more for powerful loads, low velocity shells would choke every time.

I'm not advocating that anyone else do this, but I removed a coil at a time off of the action spring until it would cycle low brass shells since I had no intention of ever using anything more than high brass 2-3/4

I would seriously look at the stuff offered by OR3GUN.

Back