• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Re: Any Mosin Nagant fans??

MA9104 M1A standard with mossy oak stock

My buddy brought his Russian Mosin Negant to the range

My buddy brought out his Russian Mosin Negant tonight because I wanted to go to the range and walk all of the ranges and get farmiliar.

We plinked a little with my 9mm and then headed over to the 25 yard utility range where we could shoot the Negant.

A little history on this gun;

Data & Facts

Produced from 1943 - 1948

Arsenals - Ishevsk,Tula (Tula M44's considered rare)

War year models feature a bayonet mount with one "ear" - post war has two. Many war year production M44's had laminated stocks.

The M/44 was the natural extension of the M38 carbine. Soviet battle experiences showed that the M91/30 was still too long of a rifle to be practical in urban and confined war fighting environments. Bolotin, in his book, Soviet Small Arms and Ammunition -reported that a number of requests had been made for an improved infantry weapon. Several sources indicate that although a carbine was desired, the troops wanted to also have the benefit of being able to utilize a bayonet. Unlike the M91/30, the Soviets came up with a unique solution, a side mounted, permanently affixed folding bayonet. The bayonet was a cruciform spiked affair with a point shaped like a screw driver. It was extended by pulling down on the guard and rotating it up and letting it seat on the muzzle. To collapse it, one simply pulled it up and rotated it back into it's stored position on the right side of the weapon.

The M/44 stock was mostly a shortened version of the M91/30 and later was produced in a laminated version. Production of the carbine was started in 1943 for prototypes and trials, and continued under license in the satellite Soviet states and China well into the 50's. By 1944, the development of the 7.62x39mm M43 round was underway and new auto-loading rifles were making their appearance. The Model 1944 features a folding bayonet that replaced the detachable type on older models. As late as the Viet Nam War, the Type 53 (Chinese) was standard issue to the Viet Cong. Polish examples of this rifle were captured in Granada during the invasion by U.S. Troops. More recently, M44's have seen service in the Balkans and Chechnya as well as during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

Stats

Length: 1020mm

Weight (unloaded): 3850 kg.

Barrel: 517mm, 4 groove, right-hand twist

Magazine: 5 round integral box

Rate of Fire: Bolt-action, 10 - 12 rounds per minute

Caliber: 7.62x54Rmm vintovochnyi patron obr 1891g

Muzzle Velocity: 820 mps

He has a wartime version with the bayonet attached.

2011-06-13183148.jpg

2011-06-13183226.jpg

2011-06-13183241.jpg

2011-06-13183250.jpg

He had some ammo that he got with the gun but never bought any more until he got to use it and see if it was worth getting more.

2011-06-13185408.jpg

2011-06-13185421.jpg

It was... :cool:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzWxrYqfRU[/youtube]

He corrected the way I held it after shooting this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8dvFVn8ljA[/youtube]

The results were impressive. The first 4 shots I took were at about 10 yards because we wern't sure how well it was sighted in. the 3 leafed clover hole low and right of the staple is my last three shots. Not sure which was my first.

2011-06-13190126.jpg

At about 25-30 yards is where we fired the viedos from. The square section is what we were aiming for. His shots have an x on them and mine are the unmarked. We each took 4 shots. He told me I could be very proud of that grouping for a rookie and not holding it exactly right.

2011-06-13190140.jpg

That cemented it for me. Lever action over the highpoint for now. :cool:

Nice 'Izzy' he's got there!

My m44 is also an Izhevsk produced in 1944. Good to see you guys wete shootn with the bayo' extended. They were sighted in that way and will shoot off center with the bayonet folded in. I love these rifles. Now that I have my m44 and a 91/30, I'm on the lookout for a Type 38 carbine...

The oddest thing about the rifle is that everything on the rifle is Russian but there is what looks like a modern laser etching on the side from Vermont?

You can see it in the fourth picture. Anyone have any insight on that?

^ When manufactured Mosin Nagants had a serial number stamped in four places, one on the receiver under the arsenal stamp, one on the bolt, one on the magwell floor plate, and one on the butt plate. Any broken/damaged parts would have been replaced during deployment or parts were often replaced before the rifles were packed up for surplus. What you end up with is a lot of surplus rifles with mismatched serial numbers. Upon import into the U.S., these rifles are restamped with a new serial number on the receiver. The new serial number is how the rifle is identified from that point on...

Are you guys finding ammo with the local dealers, or is there a good online place to buy it in bulk? I am trying to help my friend locate some and we haven't had the time to hit the dealers yet.

Aim Surplus will have the best deals around on surplus 7.62x54r. Picked up two spam cans (880 rounds) of the 149gr Romanian silver-tipped surplus a month ago for just under $150 and it shipped in a really cool surplus wooden crate. All the ammo was in great condition with no pitting or corrosion at all...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx? ... e=7.62x54R

The surplus ammo is corrosive though, so it's highly recommended that the rifle is thoroughly cleaned as soon after firing as possible. Best thing is to flush windex down the barrel at the range before the gunk has a chance to cool and harden. It really helps...

IMGP0342.jpg

Mine and a buddy's 91/30s, the one with the sling is mine. They're actually pretty darn good rifles for the money and ammo is still relatively cheap.

Anyone have an idea where you could get your hands on the cleaing rod? My frineds is missing it and he would like to see if he can find one.

^ +1 on buymilsurp.com!

They're my go-to for Mosin gear as well...

Im thinkin bout getting one in a couple weeks.

I saw cabelas has some at around $150.

But read about somewere that has them at $89.

Was wondering who it was and if they shipped to ffl? At that price... i might get two. Lol.

Model dont matter. I like the m44 because of the folding bayonet. But im noy sure if the bayonet would be an issue when hunting. Dont know if there is a rule against it. And there more expesive i heard (local shop has one for $450!)
I believe the 91/30 is most common and usually cheapest correct?

I would like it to at least come with a bayonet to put on. Just because thats how they are ment to be. Lol.

Anyway. Just wanting some input on these. And to see were the cheapest is around. Here jere there quite accurate considering there price tag. I dont plan on hunting a lot with it. But i do wanna hunt some with it. deer maybe.

Of coarse, if anyone has one cheaper then that to sell. Let me know. Personal or a company either one!

I would say Aimsurplus.com ....never shot one but I hear from good people on here thay are a great bang for the buck

My local shop has the 91/30's for $99 and you are correct that they are the more common Mosin's..

The M44's are nice and usually run a for about $200, AIMsurplus had the M44's a short time back for $195 which for me would be about $225 if I had it FFL'd over to my shop. The 91/30 is a more accurate shooter, the M44's are flame throwers but I love them!!!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3M44

I got excited to see the 91/30 for $69! On that website... Telli saw they were sold out. :(

But hats a heck of a price! Thats $95 after ffl fees.

If the m44 isnt as accurate then i will go for 91/30 first. Hit up the m44 down the road.

As far as Aimsurplus goes, if you don't mind waiting they'll likely be back in stock soon. They rarely go more than a few weeks without stock in 91/30s. Be sure to check out gunbroker.com too. You can find some pretty good deals there too, some with "buy it now" prices well under $100.

Keep a few things in mind when looking to buy a Mosin. There are several features that will factor into the price, sometimes commanding top dollar. The arsenal stamp denotes where the rifle was made. The Russian Izhevsh and Tula arsenals will usually be highr priced than other arsenals and rifles made in other countries. Most pre-war Mosins were made with a "Hex" receiver and will be worth top dollar. Once the war began, production was switched to round receivers to speed up the volume they could produce. Also, many of the war-time rifles were made by women and children and the quality was not up to par with earier rifles. So, the most desirable models will be those that are stamped either Izhevsh or Tula and stamped with a year that pre-dates the war. If you can find one with four matching serial numbers you've got a winner as well (receiver, bolt, trigger guard, butt-plate). Doesn't mean much for performance, but will add to the overall value of the rifle. There are also some models out there with laminated stocks, which will be worth a bit more.

Also, the m44 is by no means an inacurate rifle. The 91/30 does have the advantage of its longer barrel, but I doubt you'll notice a difference between the two inside 300 yards. The downside of the m44 is that it's sighted in with the bayonet fully extended and shooting with it retracted will affect accuracy. Some gun clubs and ranges won't allow bayonets, so it might be worth checking on that ahead of time.

In any case when it comes to bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with a Mosin. Happy hunt'n...

Back