• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

jgwills,
Thanks for the info. I will check the sight out when I pick it up. I'm just sorting all the paperwork at the moment to buy some more Russian rifles for my collection as my spare current permission slots are all for British .303. I need to change them to 7.62x54r and 7.63x39 ,I'm looking at getting an SKS, SVT40 with PU scope and a hexagonal receiver 91/30 by Tula. However I'm picking up a Calico M100 tomorrow. I always wanted one and as they haven't imported them to the UK since the early 80's I couldn't pass up the opportunity to add one to my collection.

All the best

Chris

Firstly chris, I'm sorry you are in the UK. Way too many hoops to hop through for firearm ownership there. :( Good to see you exercising what rights you folks still have left over there and building a collection of what you are allowed to own. Shame you can't collect some of the neat milsurp handguns available.

Calico M100. Ugly gun IMO but still a neat addition to any collection. Have fun with it.

An SVT40 with the PU scope will also be a fantastic addition to that collection.

At some point I will start collecting the handguns from WW1 and WW2. To collect them in the UK there is a very specific licence required and you must be a member of a historic arms section 7 pistol club. There are only 7 of them in the UK and the rules state the firearms must be left at the club with the armourer. I haven't got round to joining one as I am concentrating more on the rifles at the moment but will be joining one when the rifle collection is bigger

Learn something every day. I was under the impression that handguns in the UK were just completely off limits period to anyone non military or law enforcement.

At least your still allowed some ability to collect historically significant handguns. Kinda stinks you have to leave them at your historical club instead of your own home.

Shot my Type 53 again yesterday... still never touched the front sight haha... my buddy did better than I did and it was his first time shooting it... :(

I enjoyed myself never the less haha

I ordered 2 spam cans last night. Another week or so gonna get a recoil pad and some stripper clips. Then get down to business on some targets.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
It's a lot of fun ain't it!

Absolutely! I have kind of slacked on cleaning it right away though :S
I have been looking at other surplus rifles but holy heck.. they all are $599 for a Mauser and up over $1000 for a 1903A3 Springfield :/

I looked at buying one in pieces... a little at a time... you spend even more doing that! The numbers don't match... tolerances could be goofed up... so many things and it cost more :/

I tried finding a "parts kit" for my mosin and that is a no go. Barrels are near impossible to find and I guess even harder to actually replace

Itsricmo said:
I looked at buying one in pieces... a little at a time... you spend even more doing that! The numbers don't match... tolerances could be goofed up... so many things and it cost more :/

I tried finding a "parts kit" for my mosin and that is a no go. Barrels are near impossible to find and I guess even harder to actually replace

And why would you if you can buy another rifle for $120? :D

Yep. Putting a Mosin together piece by piece only makes sense if you are basically using the receiver and nothing else to build a totally custom one of a kind rifle. If you are just wanting to slap together a stock rifle way cheaper, faster and most importantly easier to get a complete surplus one. As a project its cool to do if you want to invest the time and money to say look what I did. If you just want a really nice target rifle best to look elsewhere for an off the shelf solution. YMMV as usual.

On the barrel issue from some folks I know that have rebarreled Mosins say its usually a bitch breaking up a 70+ year marriage between the barrel and receiver. I believe it. Then when you put on the new barrel you have to head space it, etc............... Unless you really want to learn and know how to do that type of stuff best to hand it off to a gunsmith. In the end its usually going to cost way more than you probably wanted to initially. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some really nice sporters made from a Mosin but not my personal cup of tea.

Mmmmmmm spam. 880 rounds of steel core lead goodness. Lol.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381800335414.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381800335414.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 187
Yep. They make great tool boxes afterwards. The worst part of the spam can experience is getting to the prize using the tin can opener.

Yup, those can openers are a real pain in the @$$.

...but for some reason I just can't bring myself to use anything modern to get in there. Most of that ammo's been sealed up longer than I've been alive, so I figure it deserves a little extra effort get'n to it...

You guys got me all wrong lol I wanted the parts kit to fix mine.. it is pretty well aged (beaten) and I have already Krylon'd the heck out of it so I am absolutely not worried about it being "pure" and "original" haha

"updated" parts that I can individually clean and put in myself.. kind of like a restoration project. I found sources for everything except the barrel :(

jgwills said:
Also that lovely smell of it being sealed up for all that timeframe. :D Lol.
I opened the first one an the girlfriend was complaining that it stunk, I stuck my face down there for a good whiff.... I liked it.

Back