• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

I just picked up my second Mosin today and she is mint. My local shop had 4 crates being opened as I watched and then one of the older gents told me what to look for as they where all types mixed together. He Said to look for the Russian Star and anything dated 1939 or older. Anything newer than 1939 was made by the women and children as WWII kicked in. The gunsmithing and machining suffered slightly but still newer mosins where good rifles.

After about 10 minutes of culling through some absolute beauties I found the Russian Star and dated 1939 and it was mint. It came with everything, sling, oil can, Bayonet, cleaning kit pouch, dual ammo pouch, trigger lock, all in one firing pin type tool. Real cool diggging through these crates but man I was covered in cosmoline!!! The wood gets beat up from being stock piled but the metal on this gun is unbelievable..

Russian Tula.

The crown is like new or better than new!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: Any Mosin Nagant fans??

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Have you shot a Mosin, LAZY?

One hell of a rifle open sight and the lead it puts down range is hard to compare to, an absolute animal. This one should shoot real nice and keep some real nice groups seeing the barrel seems virtually new unfired and SHINY with very very nice rifling..

Not yet.

I've put some of the 7.62x54 through a Dragunov on a couple occasions, but never a Mosin. There's one at my local shop for $125, but that seems a bit high for a 91/30. I'd love to have a Mosin m44 though. A buddy of mine has his C&R and is huntin one down for me. I just hope he doesn't keep it for himself when he finds one.

$125, depending on condition isn't too bad.

This gun shop I use has had a crate of mosins in there since I've been going there but to see 4 crates cracked open in the middle of the store was a sight to see and the guys ripping through them, another sight to see. :lol:

Amazing how these guns have stood the test of time and are still very sought after..

It seems high to me considering that there are several shops in my area lettn their 91/30s go for anywhere between $80-$100. The kicker is that for $125 you get one that's been cleaned and ready to shoot. I guess that's a pretty good deal considering how much of a pain in the @$$ that cosmoline can be to clear outta those things. But really, where's the fun in that? :D

They do seem to be VERY popular and I'm sure I'll end up with one before it's all over. So far, the ol Mosin has just been takin a back seat to my handgun habit. The Mosin m44 my buddy's lookin for isn't surplussed anymore and they're few and far between. If he finds one I'll definitely snatch it up.

I find that if I intentionally set my sights on the "hard-to-find" items it slows down my buying habits just enough to keep me out of an addict's support group. I'm getn paranoyed everytime my wife invites friends over now for fear she's setn me up in an intervention. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, my buddy came through for me and I picked up my m44 today!

I'll post some pics after I get it cleaned up, might be a couple days though. The thing is absolutely caked in cosmoline which is a pain to clean off, but a good indication that the rifle's been well preserved. Came with the vintage sling and field kit. The stock is a beautiful, deep red color and in great condition. It was made in 1944 and all serial numbers match, exept for the trigger guard. Ordered a 880rd crate of ammo from Aim Surplus, they have the best deals around on surplus ammo.

Can't wait to get it cleaned up and ready for the range...

Ok I give! I got to know what all the hype is about on these weapons....is it bang for the buck? Enlighten me please

I'm sure everyone has their own reasons.

Some buy them because they can get a pretty nice 91/30 for about $79 and close to 1,000 rounds of ammo for $150. Some buy them because of nostalgia or they're just into vintage weapons. Some buy them just because they can and don't see a reason not to.

As for me, I fall into that last category. Plus I just got tired of listening to my buddy talk about how much fun he has shooting his 91/30 and I pretty much bought one to find out what all the fuss was about. Still, it's pretty damn cool knowing that you own a rifle that possibly saw combat in WW2. I held out for the harder to find M44 because I like the shorter OAL and the side-folding bayonet. It's very similar to my Pop's Ariska Type 38 that he loves and I've always admired.

Well I have to shoot one then. There is a guy on one of my crews that is always Mosin this Mosin that....my Mosin will burn though steel targets if I wasn’t his boss I might have slapped him by now, then surfing the gun web sites which is honestly new to me, I always see something about the Mosin....I have never even held one. I love all guns old, new.....but that guy at work :evil:

:lol: I hear ya,

There used to be a guy in the mailroom at work that always talked about his Hi-Point 9mm like it was the greatest gun on the planet. To each their own I guess...

I was out shooting both my Mosins tonight and had a great time. Straight out to 200 yards smacking the iron plate 5 for 5 with my 1939 91/30. I brought a brass punch with me the last time I had it out to move the front sight over a bit and it's dead nuts @200 yards. my 1942 needs some tuning, she's shooting slightly left and isn't in as good condition as my 1939.

For the price of the gun and ammo, you can't and won't find anything close to it for fun shooting at the range for the money spent. They are also nicknamed the "Hard hittin 54r" and once see a 7.62x54r round you'll know why..

Well here she is, my M44...

The M44 carbine was introduced into service in late 1944 and remained in production until 1955. It's much shorter in length than its predecessor, the 91/30 (39.9" vs. 50.7"). It features the addition of a permanently affixed, side-folding cruciform-spike bayonet. A groove for the folded bayonet is inlet into the right side of the stock. I got her cleaned up pretty good and my crate of ammo arrived this afternoon. It took me almost three hours to get all the external cosmoline cleaned off enough to be able to handle it without needing a shower afterward. The bore was a bit dirty, but its grooves are nice and deep. The crown looks new as well. It's in surprisingly great condition. I still need to detail strip it for a thorough cleaning and sweat more cosmoline outta the stock, so I'll get a few more detailed pics up afterward. I sure am lookin forward to get'n her out to the range.

What a beauty! You are making me want a Mosin Nagant even more now.

I have a 1942 91/30 Its a nice looking rifle, It seems to work fairly well, I really need to get some one on one time with it to get it dialed if, Well at least get closer.
I will agree, Some definitely look better than others.

Mine

4204518875_0ed3d17056_z.jpg

I reload my own so I can get better accuracy out of them, I also slugged the barrel to find the proper bullet size.

Mosinreloads011.jpg

Mosinreloads007.jpg

Very nice, I've been reloading 30-06,300WM,243,223 lately.Fixing to start shotshells here soon,going to cast as well since i have a pant load of lead

Thats the first time I've seen the cartridge, looks good...somewhere between 308 and 30-06 ?? :?:

VitSports6 said:
I have a 1942 91/30 Its a nice looking rifle, It seems to work fairly well, I really need to get some one on one time with it to get it dialed if, Well at least get closer.
I will agree, Some definitely look better than others.

Mine

4204518875_0ed3d17056_z.jpg

I reload my own so I can get better accuracy out of them, I also slugged the barrel to find the proper bullet size.

Mosinreloads011.jpg

Mosinreloads007.jpg

Great pics!

oli700 said:
...somewhere between 308 and 30-06 ?? :?:

That would be a fair comparison. The 7.62x54r is closer in length to the .308, but more like a 30-06 in cirumference. Kind of a 30-06 short. Here it is next to a .308...

Back