• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 100 ATR Bolt Action Troubleshooting

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your mossberg 100 ATR bolt action; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

Bolt release lever not working properly

My bolt release lever has stopped working correctly to allow the bolt to come out. I know this is an issue with some other owners. I disassembled the rifle and was able to work the release fine once I had the action out of the stock. All the parts looked fine. I put it back together and had the same problem again. Short of shaving down the cutaway on the stock under the lever (???), or sending it all to Mossberg, does anyone know of a fix?

It's the synthetic stock. I'll send pics when i get around to tearing it down again. Of course, I can clean the barrel fine with a bore snake. But until the bolt comes out reliably, it's an impediment to inspecting the barrel and doing the thorough kind of cleaning that I like to do. (I routinely use tape over the muzzle in the field, so foreign objects weren't as much of a concern this deer season as they might have been otherwise.)

Hi everyone
I'd really like to get this thread going,it can be a big help to all if we can get as much information as possible regarding any problems or idiosyncrasies people are experiencing.And of course any tips or solutions to the problems would be nice to share.
I know that one member has posted an issue with the bolt release mechanism not working in his case.
My problem relates to the magazine in my Standard,synthetic stock .270. The last round in the magazine pops out as soon as the bolt touches it and so far,the only place it hasn't ended up is in the chamber.
Let's try and get a Database of malfunctions and concerns and see what we can come up with to help each other out.
Bob

Re: Bolt release lever not working properly

eidsvolling said:
My bolt release lever has stopped working correctly to allow the bolt to come out. I know this is an issue with some other owners. I disassembled the rifle and was able to work the release fine once I had the action out of the stock. All the parts looked fine. I put it back together and had the same problem again. Short of shaving down the cutaway on the stock under the lever (???), or sending it all to Mossberg, does anyone know of a fix?

I had the same problem with a 30-06. I checked out some ATR-100's in the store and they did not have the bolt release problem. I called Mossberg and they sent me a new bolt release lever for free, which I installed. Have not had a problem since.

BTW, one customer service support person initially advised me to notch out the part of the stock where the bolt release lever met resistance. I thought this to be an exceptionally bad solution to the problem and took the trip to test other ATR-100's. None I tested had this problem, so the issue is with the bolt release lever and not the stock.

To Mossberg's credit, when I called about getting a replacement bolt release lever, I mentioned the above "knotching" suggestion and they agreed that this was not an adequate solution (they were actually surprised that one of their support people actually proposed this to solve the problem).

So before you take a rotary tool to your stock (ouch!), have them send you a new bolt release lever. My replacement was noticeably different from the original problematic one -- and better quality.

Tom

I am glad to hear that Mossberg was able to take care of your issue :ugeek: .

Re: Bolt release lever not working properly

tzstrings said:
I had the same problem with a 30-06. I checked out some ATR-100's in the store and they did not have the bolt release problem. I called Mossberg and they sent me a new bolt release lever for free, which I installed. Have not had a problem since.

Thanks very much. I have the .30-06 as well and like it. I'll call them tomorrow.

You can also message "edna" here on the forum and she can take care of you.

Edna is awesome, we're friends. She has always taken good care of me as a customer. :)

Im currently having the same problem, I will adress it in the AM.

I received my replacement bolt release lever after a slight hiccup in delivery. As you will see from the photo, the shape of the lever has been changed by Mossberg from my original. The original is on top, the replacement is below. (I don't recall the year of manufacture of my rifle, but it was probably within the first two years of production.)

The replacement seems to work OK, although I'm slightly nervous about the fact that it travels a very short distance when pressed down. I'll report on its performance as time goes on.
web.jpg

I don't know that I'd be worried,but a long term report would be good.
Mine is new,and moves very little,but that works fine.
Bob

I recently purchased the ATR 100 .30-06. Love the gun. Very fun to shoot. Latey I've been having problems with loading it to full capacity. The spec claims a 4+1. But when the 4th round is in the magazine, I am unable to depress them far enough for the bolt to clear the cartridge. So it has become a 3+1. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. For now I've only taken it to the range, so I really dont NEED 5 in the gun, but you know... Thanks.

Being new, the spring tension may just be a bit tight right now. Also, make sure the magwell is nice and clean with light oil. If you have a safe and secure location to store your rifle, you may try leaving four rounds loaded with the bolt open while the gun is not in use. Or, with the bolt closed try loading four rounds through the bottom of the magwell. The trap-door should close relatively easily. Either way, letting it sit loaded to capacity for a while should help to break in the spring. Snap caps can be used instead if safety is a concern.

You bet,

I had a similar issue with one of my old Mosins. I use the same process with my pistol mags to help loosen up the factory springs.

Be sure to let us know how it works out for you...

I have a 100 ATR in .270, Last night I removed the rifle from my gun cabinet and teh bolt fell out. It appears there is nothing holding the firing pin assembly in the bolt. Not sure if someone has been in the cabinet or not (grrr) but I need to know if there is some special part that holds the firing pin assembly in the bolt assembly. If not, how do I order a complete new bolt assembly. I love this rifle and I need if functioning again!

I just bought a new 100 ATR Night Train in .308 (27201).
I unpacked it yesterday for the first time to go test fire (deer season opens in a week) and to tweak the factory boresight.

I just emailed service@mossberg.com to express my disappointment with a number of issues - including the factory boresight being about as far out of true as I've ever personally experienced installing a new scope.

I know, I'm venting mow but I'm profoundly disappointed.

Anyway, the big issue is that after 7 rounds the bolt would no longer close. It pushes forward and picks up a round and chambers it perfectly but when the bolt gets all the way forward it will not rotate closed.

I'm a HUGE Mossberg fan and own several of them including another 100 ATR in .270.

I just can't express how disappointing it was to be shut down like that by a problem that just seems to have popped up out of the blue - one second it was shooting great and the next it was broken.

We'll see what Mossberg has to say about it.

Jeff

Back