• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 100 ATR Night Train Bolt Action

Re: Night Train II Muzzle Brake

Well I had the Gigantic muzzle brake removed and found out that Mossberg used non-industry standard threading, So I am going to have it re-threaded. I have had lots of fun shooting this rifle so far. I am able to consistently hit sub-MOA at 200 yards with 168 Grain Federal Gold Medal Match. I could not be more pleased with a rifle. The Barska 6-24X60 SWAT scope that came with the rifle has performed flawlessly. However I had to replace the Rings that came with the rifle as they broke after the first 5 shots. So I am useing Leopold All Steel rings now. I just swapped out the stock for a Boyds Featherlight Thumbhole stock, it fits nice and tight and looks really good, will post pics when i get home. have not had a chance to shoot it yet in this stock but I think it will perform fine :)

Welcome aboard! Congrats on the purchase!

Only 5 shots for the scope rings? Wow. Seems you hae a handle on it though. Look forward to the pics!

This My Night Train II minus the factory barska scope Rings and nasty Muzzle Brake. I have also added an Allen buttstock pouch with cheek riser ($12 local store, they adjust to any stock) the Rifle came with a really nice Harris Bi-pod. and again the scope is a AC10700 - 6-24x60 IR SWAT Sniper Scope by Barska retails for about $329 from there sight and mine works just fine.

Attachments

• NTII.JPG
    NTII.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 2,123

Here is me shootting the NIGHT Train II in the above post. the frame was captured from my camera shooting video at 120 FPS. The Ammo I was shooting was some stuff I am still experimenting with. In the other picture you can see an example of what I was loading. unlike the Picture you see here I was actually using a 55 grain Hornady V-Max .223 fitted to a sabot like in the photo just imagine a red tip instead of green :cool:

Attachments

• 308SABOT.jpg
    308SABOT.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,114
  • NTIIf.JPG
    NTIIf.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 2,113

Okay Here is my Night Train II with the Boyds Gunstock on it. It's the FT (Featherweight Thumbhole) MOSSBERG® 100 ATR SHORT ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL NUTMEG LAMINATE (FINISHED) I have not had a chance to fire it in this configuration but I think it will be fine. Also if you order one of these from Boyds you will need to call Maverick Arms http://www.maverickarms.com/ for the Action screws and the Trigger guard and screw.

Attachments

• Night Train II Mod1.jpg
    Night Train II Mod1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 2,107
Anyone have a 100ATR Night Train?

If you do, can you tell me if this is close to the screw spacing that is on your Picatinny base?

With the first hole at the barrel end of the receiver being 0,
The 2nd hole is .861
The 3rd is 3.890
The 4th is 4.500

Thanks

Very sharp looking rifle. I am really liking the Boyds Thumbhole stock......nice.

When you go to the range with your new stock let us know how it performs. Looks sweet.

LDMcFear said:
Okay Here is my Night Train II with the Boyds Gunstock on it. It's the FT (Featherweight Thumbhole) MOSSBERG® 100 ATR SHORT ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL NUTMEG LAMINATE (FINISHED) I have not had a chance to fire it in this configuration but I think it will be fine. Also if you order one of these from Boyds you will need to call Maverick Arms http://www.maverickarms.com/ for the Action screws and the Trigger guard and screw.

I traded a 10/22 for a night train II in .308, I'm going to get the same stock in "royal jakaranda", as i own a couple boyds thumbholes already, and i love them! I need to find a normal muzzle break as well so i can get rid of that total monstrosity mossberg put on there! thanks for the info on the trigger guard/action screws as well! I'll post some pics of mine as well when its done!

ginnz.

well, im a new night train II owner as well... I've been wanting a .308 for a long time now, and my local shop had a night train II there, after a bit of haggling the owner traded it to me for a ruger 10/22, i had a couple of them so i figured what the heck.... well after a couple trips to the range, and sixty rounds through it, i'll say it's a very good shooter, capable of sub MOA accuracy at 100 yards, BUT the Barska scope on it is a complete POS! it will NOT hold a zero for me for nothing! i replaced the mounts first off, before even shooting it with leupold steel 1" rings i had here, then noticed the glass was complete crap in it.... it was all out of focus, so i removed the sunshade off it, and the front lens was loose! so i tightened it up and noticed this moves the reticle all around, also the parallax focus isnt even close.... the quality at full zoom is absolutely horrible!

I ordered a leatherwood M-1000 ART II scope, and am waiting for it, that will be a major improvement! I'm also ditching that retarded monstrosity of a muzzle break on it as well with a normal looking one.... als othe stock is going in the trash for a boyds thumbhole....

overall, im glad i didnt actually pay for it, other than a trade, as after replacing the stock/break/scope, i'd have been better off buying a remington m700, or Savage, even a ruger m77 in .308...... i'd never suggest the night train to anyone, but if a guys looking for a cheap, entry level center fire, id suggest the ATR100 though... the base rifle appears to be a good shooter, which really surprised me! and the trigger is decent! I really hate the plastic magazine bottom, they could have at least put an aluminum one in there....

LDMcFear said:

I went to maverick arms website, and they have nothing along the lines of a trigger guard, or action/guard screws listed, as a matter of fact, they barely have ANYTHING on their site..... where am i gonna get a trigger guard/screws?

man, mossberg really dropped the ball when they made the cheap plastic molded in everything stock for the night train, IMO.... and the plastic magazine follower takes the cake. i'd love to swap that junk out for an aluminum one from somewhere as well! Im just about to order a thumbhole stock from Boyd's (in royal jakaranda) for my NTII, but im gonna need the parts to finish it.... ;-)

TIA,
ginnz.

ginnz.

Night Train II groups

Hey guys,

thought i'd share a couple pics of a group i shot with my night train II yesterday..... I was still dong some testing with it, as i just got it, after i "re-zero'd" that monstrosity, total piece of junk Barska scope they put on it, i managed a real nice 4 shot group.... I was shooting factory winchester 150 gn. power max ammo. the ONLY issue is the scope will not keep a zero. Its off the rifle already, and im not sure what i'll do with it yet. (maybe convert the 60mm objective into a powder funnel on my Lee powder charger ;-)) The first bunch of circled holes are before adjusting the scope.....

anyways, here's a killer 4 shot group, shot at 100 yards, with 15 MPH wind, from the side.... once i get dies, ill be handloading for this rifle, and mounting a LeatherWood Art II M-1000 scope on it, for long range coyote killing. (600-900 yards). If it can do this with factory fodder, i'm thinking with Sierra MatchKing bullets, i can improve on it considerably! maybe one ragged hole! ;-)

Attachments

• Mossberg 308-2.JPG
    Mossberg 308-2.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 782
Re: Need cheek rest for a Night Train?

mystic precision has am adjustable cheek piece on their site called the "Tac Pro Adjustable Cheek Rest", you would have to drill a few holes to mount it, but it would be very easy to install, and looks like it would be perfect for the cheap tupperware ATR/NightTrain stocks! If i wern't getting a Boyd's thumbhole stock for mt NTII, i would jump all over this thing! here's a link to it.... replace the XX's in the address with "www"... ;-)

http://www.mysticprecision.com/wp/945/t ... heek-rest/

I've ordered alot of stuff from them in the past, and they are awesome to deal with!

Ginnz.

Re: Night Train II groups

Looks nice man! I'm really wantin a bolt action!

LDMcFear - I've been looking for a muzzle brake for my ATR 100, but dealers don't seem to carry them. Mossberg customer service (phone) didn't even know what it was and could not give me a stock code or product number. Would you be interested in selling the one you took off? Sorry, I tried PM but apparently I need a few more posts before it activates.....

Okay first off, that OEM stock is awesome looking! Secondly, that Boyds stock is EVEN BETTER! Very sharp looking rifle!

NOW, I have to ask, WHERE do you get those Sabots?? How do they work?!?! I have been introduced to a whole new world or reloading now :O

Sorry folks for not being around to answer your questions :( life has been crazy. I'm sorry Maverick Arms seemed to be q dead end for the trigger guard and screws for the Boyds stock, that is weird since that is where I purchased mine. As far as the barrel threading goes there are no other breaks that I am aware of that are made for the threading on this rifle. I am when I get around to it going to have the barrel re-threaded to industry standard. You can purchase the Sabots online I will need to look them since it's been a hot minute since I loaded them.

The rifle still fires like a champ ;)

From Boyds Website: "ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: If you are converting from a plastic stock, you will need to purchase a trigger guard directly from Mossberg in order to use our stocks."

When I went to the Maverick Arms link it redirected me to Mossberg.com I remember having to call them to order the trigger guard and screws I hope that helps.

Back