• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Sights

I installed a Skinner on my 464 today. The rear Skinner was bottomed out in the tapped hole leaving just a tiny tiny bit of threads showing - not enough to change the hits.
With factory front fire sight (.50"), I fired at 30 yards. Excluding my flyer, 4 shots hit within a one inch square. The flyer was one and one half inch.

I am pretty happy with this so far as the front sight covered the bull's eye. Also, I am 75 and cranking.

I plan to see what happens at 50, 75 and 100 yards but it was pouring rain today.

Hopefully the images I uploaded are visable.

Attachments

• Mossberg 464 30 yds_edited.jpg
    Mossberg 464 30 yds_edited.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Mossberg 464 Skinner Sight_edited.jpg
    Mossberg 464 Skinner Sight_edited.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 42
Brad's pix:

index.php

index.php

Been away for awhile mostly shooting pistols with my daughter, but still have my 464. I've kept the reticle front sight, but didn't stay with the Marble Bullseye rear for long, just couldn't adjust to the sight picture. The original buckhorn is pretty fair paired up with the reticle, but I will be trying a peep(not sure which one).

Ak4qmfx.jpg

I myself have never been able to deal with the peep sight. This may have to do with my crummy eyesight.

I can't hit much on the target range without a scope. I have a nice 3-9x on the .30-30, but I have long been wishing for more.

Still I shoot fairly well with that rifle considering what it is and my only Bugaboo about it is that I have not been able to make successful handloads.

Recently someone sent me the data that might solve that problem so I'm hoping for good things in the future.

I kinda like where Brad's Skinner peep in mounted on his 464 a couple of posts above. Haven't seen that one before on a 464. Be interesting to see how it pairs up with this front......

E4sH0kF.jpg

I added a peep that screws into any one of the existing scope-mount threaded holes on top of the receiver. It gives you the choice of which of the 4 holes to mount it, so I tried the hole just ahead of the breach this weekend.

rs3qxtj.jpg

I really like the peep with the reticle front, but with the rear bottomed out the rifle sights in at 50 yds. At 100 yds it's shooting high & there's not enough sight picture through the peep to compensate, so I'm going to try moving the peep just aft of the breach. That should open up the sight picture a bit & lower the 100 yd POI a little too.

Hi lonestarjeff,
That was a very good pic of your fore sight in #66. Your eyes must be very good to see that............well, a lot better than mine anyway;)

My eyes can see it with the help of contact lenses :p, & the peep is blurry but much better than the buckhorn. The best thing about the reticle is it doesn't block out the target at longer range.

Speaking of lenses, my sunnies have a prescription for distance which is a big help. I did have to make the fore sight 5/32" wide, however:eek: The peep will always be a blur no matter where you position it on your rifle. That is why you look through them, keeping the foresight in the middle of the blur. No need to keep two separate things in focus; just one:) Looking through the blur gets easier, the closer the peep is to your eye. When I shot target (prone with sling) with a 308, there was a gap the width of two fingers between the peep and my eyebrow. We can't do that with our rifles, so we do what we can. Good hunting mate:D

I have the same KNS Precision front sight as lonestarjeff. I like them so much I have them on my .22lr and my 12 gauge rifled slug gun barrel, too. On the .22 and the 464, they're paired with the Marble's Bullseye sight. Can't get one of those for the shotty, so it wears a ghost ring rear sight. One nifty thing about that KNS sight with a Bullseye is the speed of target acquisition. The other is that the KNS fits almost exactly in the inner circle on the Bullseye, so you can get very accurate sight alignment.

To be completely honest, though, I had a Skinner rear sight. I liked it. Then I banged the levergun against something. Now I have a broken screw in the receiver and a Bullseye on the barrel. It's OK, though, I used a black Sharpie to make it match the rest of the gun...

464 sight choices

My eyesight being on the poor side I've decided to try something to improve my aim w/o going to a scope. I don't have anything against scopes, but I like the idea of keeping it a little closer to "vintage-looking" & still(hopefully)improve my target(or hog)shooting.

I would love to find a flip-up tang peep sight, but I don't think the 464's safety slide location will allow it. I read in some other posts of some guys using the Marbles "bullseye", so I've ordered one to try it.

Not sure if the blade front site will work ok with the "bullseye" or not, but I'm afraid the gold dot will block out the target at 100yds. I also ordered this KNS front site...

The combination may or may not work, but I'm hoping some combination of the four will improve my groups. I'll report back my results.
Re: 464 sight choices

Whoa! Get a picture of these two sights together!! I wonder if the ring of the front sight will match the ring on the rear to create something similar to a scope view :eek:
Re: 464 sight choices

Hey there,

I'd like to hear your report on how they worked. They look good...

This is the combination I have on my 464. I like it so much it's on my .22 and my 12 gauge as well. Works great for my 51 year old eyes, doesn't cover the target, instant rangefinder after you do a little math.

Kids these days don't know irons like us old coots, I think, so I'll include the math for you. The inner diameter of that sight is 0.24". The sight is 28.5" from my eye when I mount the rifle standing. That means the inner diameter of the sight is about 29 MOA. So, if you have a fairly standard .30-30 load set for a 150 yard zero (2.5" high at 100 yards) AND the body of a mature whitetail deer will not fit chest to rump within the circle, the deer is within your maximum point blank range and you can shoot without holdover. The same applies if the deer back-to-brisket doesn't fit between the horizontal crosshair and the top of the circle. If the deer don't fits, the bullet do hits.

Back