• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX Tactical Lever Action Stocks

American

.22LR
Haven't even received it yet but my SPX should be here next week.

Looks to me that the stocks will interchange with no issues.

Why would I buy one then change it out? Not sure I will but thought some sort of black walnut with some gray/black would look pretty slick. At least I'd have both and could change out as I wish.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• clsshtmoss464.jpg
    clsshtmoss464.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 4,756
  • Mossberg_464_SPX_Receiver800x497.jpg
    Mossberg_464_SPX_Receiver800x497.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 4,766
Re: 464SPX Stock Replacement

Hey there, you're getting the one with the flash supressor. Mine doesn't have the flash supressor, got it a couple of weeks ago. Maybe you can tell us if the supressor is removable and how it's attached, some here are interested. I've wondered about the stock, I don't have a plain jane stock to try on it but it looks as though it would fit with no problems. If I can find a black plastic stock I'll get it just to be able to swap out the ATI stock occasionally.

I think you'll like the SPX, it's a sweet handling gun, small and light. The fibre optic sights are great, though I'm going to scope mine. So far the only commercial scope base I've found are the small fore and aft pieces like the Weaver 403. I wanted a larger, one piece rail so I'm making my own.

Re: 464SPX Stock Replacement

So.. on that note, where would one find stocks, preferably unstained, for the 464?

464 SPX Stock

For anyone who wonders, this is how the stock on the SPX attaches:
DSC08036.JPG

This picture give a better view of all the components:
DSC08039.JPG

Notice in this image that the stock retaining cap-screw is at an angle to the receiver extension, I don't know if all 464s are like that:
DSC08040.JPG

The stock looks like a normal ATI AR15 stock though it doesn't have the threads cut into it. There's an Allen cap-screw that threads into the rear of the receiver (as per the conventional stock). It is reached by a 1/4" Allen bit on a long extension, through the ATI tube (is that what AR people call the buffer tube?).

Re: 464 SPX Stock

Thanks for taking the time to post up the break down of the Mossberg 464 SPX. I bet it wouldn't take a lot to change out the stock to a different AR-15 stock.

DHonovich said:
Thanks for taking the time to post up the break down of the Mossberg 464 SPX. I bet it wouldn't take a lot to change out the stock to a different AR-15 stock.
No trouble at all. Re changing the stock: the only piece that has to be used is the small plastic bit that does the transition from the AR style stock to the 464 receiver. Most AR stocks I've seen have threads at that junction. I don't know if the threads will fit inside the transition piece or if they would have to be filed/ground off. The stock tube is 'keyed' to the transition piece and I don't know enough about AR stocks to know if that's a feature of them too.

I any case I'm sure we'll see all variations of stocks on the SPX. I've always thought that the AR's are Leggos for adults (I don't mean that in a negative way, I think they're great the way parts can be changed out) but I guess the SPX is kinda in that category too.

Thanks for the pics! I have one on order myself. Any chance I could trouble you for top and bottom pics, up by where the stock meets the receiver?

I was thinkin about getting an original 464 wood stock, and now after looking at this, I'm not sure it'd fit.

I'm trying to make something akin to this: http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_lev ... tical.html - only much cheaper...

Have you tried any other stocks since your last post btw? I did happen upon this pic of a 464 with a different AR stock: http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-24/ ... r-gun.html

Any info greatly appreciated! --JB

JBinDC said:
Thanks for the pics! I have one on order myself. Any chance I could trouble you for top and bottom pics, up by where the stock meets the receiver?

I was thinkin about getting an original 464 wood stock, and now after looking at this, I'm not sure it'd fit.

I'm trying to make something akin to this: http://www.grizzlycustom.com/custom_lev ... tical.html - only much cheaper...

Have you tried any other stocks since your last post btw? I did happen upon this pic of a 464 with a different AR stock: http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-24/ ... r-gun.html

Any info greatly appreciated! --JB
I've had my .30-30 464 SPX for almost three months now and I still think it's great, the most fun I've had with any rifle for a very long time.

I looked at the link you supplied for the Grizzly Custom tactical lever action. It looks almost as good as the Mossberg, but costs almost $2000, plus you have to supply a Marlin lever action!! Probably talking about $2400 to $3000 in total, why? When you can buy a Mossberg 464 SPX for $400?

I haven't tried any other stocks on mine, but I have modified the existing one. I found the drop at the heel to be too great so I altered both the ATI tactical stock and the black plastic transition piece to raise the heel about 1.5 inches. The gun is sweeter shooting now, not wanting to jump up with each shot. For now I'm going to stick with the original (but modified) stock.

I'll post the requested pictures as soon as I can, but I think the receiver is 'standard' Mossberg other than being phosphated (at least I think it's phosphated). My son tells me it's not phosphated, it's blued... doesn't look very blued to me, but he probably knows.

Here are the promised images of the adapter (transition piece):
DSC08127.JPG

DSC08128.JPG

DSC08129.JPG

DSC08130.JPG

I think these should do...

I'm fairly certain that Mossberg would not have redesigned the receiver for this particular application.

Thanks man! Just picked mine up! Agreed on the drop angle. Are the picks show after you modified it? May do the same - I'm assuming it improves your cheek weld, no?

Either way, just scored a wood stock on Gunbroker as well. I'll post some pics when I get it.

JBinDC said:
Thanks man! Just picked mine up! Agreed on the drop angle. Are the picks show after you modified it? May do the same - I'm assuming it improves your cheek weld, no?

Either way, just scored a wood stock on Gunbroker as well. I'll post some pics when I get it.
With the original stock configuration I was getting a sore jaw from the recoil; the rifle would kick up pretty hard and contact my jaw. With my modified stock it's much better, recoil hits my shoulder instead. The cheek weld is much improved, I can look through the scope and have my cheek firmly on the stock.

I brought the ATI stock 'tube' up so it's almost parallel to the barrel. I can give you the details of what I did if you're interested...

I'd like to see yours with the wooden stock installed.

Here's the latest pic:
DSC08142b.JPG

That'd be great - agreed, it looks way better and I can see how it'd work better on the cheek weld. Right now I have to raise the comb, makin it look even more funky. :mrgreen:

Will definitely post pics with the wood rock, to show the difference.

I have no measurements of what I did here, I filed or sanded a little and then reassembled the rifle until I had the desired result. I would suggest anyone attempting this mod do the same.

The angle that you sand or file the end of the adapter to is critical since that is the angle that everything else has to be made to match.

The end of the stock tube, that fits in the adapter, must be filed to allow it to go in the adapter at the new angle. Sand the adapter first and then file the stock tube to fit. You'll also notice the notch in the end of the stock tube, this is to fit around the end of the receiver. The upper side of this notch must be filed, it will become apparent when you fit the pieces back together.

The reason for the threaded rod is because when the angle of the stock tube is changed you can no longer get the Allen wrench into the head of the stock retaining bolt. There is the added problem that the head and washer would no longer sit flat on the boss in the stock tube. The threaded rod works out very well since it firmly holds all of the associated pieces together.

Other than the steel rod, you are just working with plastic so it is fairly easy to do. My son has a 3" wide table mounted belt sander, which greatly helped when sanding the adapter to the correct angle, while keeping the surface flat.

Here is an image that details what I had to change:
DSC08131b.JPG

Here is completed stock tube, installed (that looks like a split in the stock tube but it's just where it's worn smooth):
DSC08143.JPG

The main thing to be aware of is that it's easier to take material off than put it back.

Very crafty mod Andrew! I was wondering how you got around the limitations of the factory stock bolt angle - very smart use of that threaded rod. I can see how the flat surface of a table sander would be more reliable than wielding a hand sander or Dremel. I may have to try this if I don't like the wood stock comin in. Thanks for sharing! Hey, what Bipod did you mount? The short legs make a nice pairing with the rifle.

The bipod is a UTG TL-BP78, legs extend out to about 7.3" I believe.

This bipod is too short for an unmodified rifle (at least for shooting at the range from a table top, i.e. a flat surface). I bought it just for range shooting.

d02901110 said:
What scope mount did you use?
It's homemade, but I see you've already found the post detailing its construction. I bought the blank picatinny rail from a seller on Amazon. Its was 10 inches or maybe a foot long for $11 shipped. That and 5 hours of labor at $25 per hour, plus sandpaper and paint means it only cost ~$150. I'm happy with the rail though the next time it's off the rifle, I'll file the ejection port a bit higher.

Collapsable buttstock

I have the Mossberg 464 SPX 30-30. I also have a bipod mounted on it, since I do most of my shooting at the range. The front of the rifle is supported by the bipod so I use my left hand under the buttstock, allowing me to accurately get the sights on target and hold them there. But I've run into a problem where I can accidentally hit the lever for adjusting the buttstock. When I fire the next round the buttstock collapses and the back of the scope hits my nose... ouch. I though I could just rotate the lever 180º and not hit it, but the next time at the range the same exact thing happened. My nose couldn't take much more.

So what I did was take this:
DSC08745.JPG

and replace it with this:
DSC08746.JPG

Now it is impossible to accidentally hit the lever and have the buttstock collapse under recoil.

What I did was drive out the roll-pin holding the lever to the buttstock latch-pin, take the lever off, put a flat washer over the end of the latch-pin, and then take a split key-ring and put it through the hole in the end of the latch-pin. The ring still makes it easy to adjust, while preventing it from accidentally collapsing...

Re: Collapsable buttstock

That was actually a pretty good remedy.

Back