• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX Tactical Lever Action Stocks

Re: Collapsable buttstock

I decided to phostphate the ring and washer. I went to Home Depot and got some of the etch and clean, phosphoric acid solution, which is a metal, paint pretreatment. I soaked the ring and washer in it over night (after removing what plating I could with sandpaper). The following morning they were a nice uniform, dark gray color. What plating I missed with the sandpaper just came right off, the phosphoric acid having gotten underneath it. Rinsed with water and oiled them, looks better now...

The 464 SPX 30-30 has the 16.25 barrel and a 4x scope. On a good day with mine I can shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards, and I'm 69 years old. I'm sure some of our younger shooters can better that.

I guess that isn't too bad! All else being equal and everything put into perspective, that would make it 1.5" groups at 100yds and a 4x scope. For a 30-30 that is pretty good and adding in the factor of a 16.25" barrel... even better!

How is the cheekweld and sight plane with the AR style stock? Looks a little low to me but I don't have any experience over 20 rounds on a standard Marlin 336 to compare stock combs and sight planes

EDIT: I have read all the above posts and found your MOD very crafty and helpful. Is it going to be a personal preference kind of thing if the cheek weld is to low or not?

Yes, I found the cheekweld too low, changing the angle of the stock helped, but I'm going to see if I can find a thick pad to build it up a bit more.

If I was shooting over 50 yards I'd have to replace the scope, the central dot is just too large, it covers more than the center of the target. It does so at 50 too but I can live with it. The scope is one of those circle-dot reticle Leapers and it's really a shotgun scope.

I would like to get a wooden butstock and ancillary parts as I really don't like the M-15 or variants type of stock.
I called the factory, and somebody from sales took my call. I asked him about the stock but couldn't find it in his computer. He went to ask about it to his superior and the answer was that though they have it in stock, it doesn't have a stock number, therefore can't sell it. What a dissappointment with Mossberg.

Any of you denizens of this forum knows of a wooden butstock anywhere or of someone that can make me one?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am not too familiar with this model.
is the one with the forearm rail that is not a full rail available yet? i have seen some pictures on line that looks like they removed the area near the receiver so you can hold it better (less bulky?)
also is it possible/or is there a model that has a scout rail in front of the reciever on the barrel? does it have a threaded muzzle?
and lastly can a solid non adjustable traditional looking buttstock be replaced for the AR style buttstock?

so in essence i want a scout scope base, a short bbl with threaded end, the slim modified less railed forearm and the solid buttstock, synthetic or wood no preference, anything in the works Mossberg & Sons? are you listening?

i am not too familiar with this model.
is the one with the forearm rail that is not a full rail available yet? i have seen some pictures on line that looks like they removed the area near the receiver so you can hold it better (less bulky?)
also is it possible/or is there a model that has a scout rail in front of the reciever on the barrel? does it have a threaded muzzle?
and lastly can a solid non adjustable traditional looking buttstock be replaced for the AR style buttstock?

so in essence i want a scout scope base, a short bbl with threaded end, the slim modified less railed forearm and the solid buttstock, synthetic or wood no preference, anything in the works Mossberg & Sons? are you listening?

Yes, you can have it all. I did it a year ago so now to give you a good guiding answer I have to remember and research the suppliers for the rails and stuff I bought. Will take pics tonight when I get back home.

Did the research:

The 464 SPX has had some changes since I bought mine. In mine, the forend is wood painted in black with three picatinny rails screwed into it. I hated them, they were very uncomfortable, so I took them off and proceeded to mount a Scout Mount by XS sights. That is a very nice mount. You will love it.

Scout Mount:

http://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8517

I always install peep sight on my rifles as an insurance against scope or red dot malfunctions, so I installed a sight system that was higher than the scout rail. For that I chose the Skinner Winged Sight and I’m glad I did. The quality is superb and their service is beyond excellent.

Skinner Winged Sight:

http://www.skinnersights.com/mossberg_464_11.html

With the Winged sight I had to install also a taller front sight. The SPX requires a 3/8” (dovetail) and 0.75” high front sight. For this one you will have to tell Andy Larsson, the owner, that your 464 SPX needs a 0.75” high front sight, he will make you one, because I already went through the process of getting first one that was 0.60” high and it was not high enough, so he made me one 0.75” high which was a perfect fit.

http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html

Tomorrow the pictures.

wow thanks Steamburn for quick response, i do really like what you have done, i am planning similar but want to replace rear buttstock to a solid one, i dont care if it is polymer or wood. i saw there is a polymer forened with short tri rail on front only. you could cut and replace yours if you had a need. that wood looks pretty good.
i dont know why gun manufacturers dont already do this to save us the trouble. j/k i like to tinker but i dont like the extra cost, fun project anyway. what length is your bbl?

is the rear Skinner windage adjustable too?

If you still want a wood buttstock it looks like Boyds sells a set front and rear

Last edited:
The ATI stock is commercial sized and the "buffer tube" has alignment keys that fit into the handle slots

a conventional aluminum ar15 buffertube will not mount as it is to large for the existing hole

any commercial sized AR stock should fit on the factory plastic "buffer tube"

Did you change the front sight yourself? Mine is broken and I have the replacement but broke my drift trying to get it out.

All I need is the Skinner winged sight and front post to finish mine and a I have my eye on Magpul stock

4e8dafc7bce95074db4ac8f50200457f.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

jwhiteh0513,
Yes, I changed the front sight myself. Very easy using a piece of brass and hammer.
The front sight I had to use is higher than what Andy offers in the Skinner Sights website (0.60"). You have to ask him to make you one that is 0.75" high.

Where did you get the forend? It looks awesome.

Back