• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX tactical lever rifle

Well, hi everyone, as you can tell this is my first post. I found a used 464 zombie 16 inch barrel with flash suppressor at my local gun shop just before Christmas. Man was it ugly, so I just had to buy it. Got it home and thought now what am I going to do with it?? So, I decided to give it to my wife for Christmas. SHE FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!!! Asked if I thought I could find some more??? She thinks the kids would like some too. Showed the kids, everybody wants one, go figure. We haven't even been able to go shoot it yet. Just wish they would make it in 357 cal. now that would be a real sleeper.

Well after finally tracking down my new 464 SPX a couple weeks ago, I finally got it in my hands.

Saturday morning I put a BURRIS 1-4x30 scope on it, with illuminated reticle. Got it sighted in after a few shots and this thing is dead on! Love the feel, love the way it shoots.

I added a bipod, a pressure switched flashlight, and a laser on it! It's tactical as it gets!! Definitely recommend this rifle to anyone!

They call me Sharpie.....I leave permanent marks baby!!!

Hey all,

First post here, thought I would start off by thanking everyone on here for providing me with some excellent information and discussion on Mossberg firearms. In two days, I get my very first gun in the mail: a Mossberg 464 SPX.

My dad had an older Winchester 94 that I shot a numerous occasion. Was always my favorite gun but I never cared for the cowboy look, just the feel. I know I am on an island with that opinion but there it is. When I saw the SPX, my heart skipped a beat. My perfect, ugly little tactical lever.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on attachments. I would like to attach something to hold extra rounds, but not sure how I could go about it. My dad's 94 had one on the butt-stock, but I don't think one would fit right on the adjustable SPX stock. I would also like a sight, maybe a reflex, something good at close range and not bad at medium to long. But spending more on the sight than I did on the gun just seems silly.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

-Mike

welcome from NY and congrats on your soon to be new mossy.

I use the factory sights and can (with a little effort) shoot 200yrds. Under 100yrd stuff is good and 50 or less is excellent. I would try the factory stuff out before you go changing a bunch on it.

I added a Streamlight TRL1 light and a black MagPul AFG to mine. The AFG makes it a little more comfortable for your front hand and I put the light on because I wanted this thing for a camp gun.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370541358135.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370541358135.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,540
Looks great! You are right about using the factory sights first before I decide to change anything. I have decided, I think, to get some kind of rifle cartridge sling like the one GrovTec makes. I am hoping I won't have any woes attaching it.

I really like the MagPul AFG but I am just not sure how comfortable it is compared to normal grip or compared to a VFG. I will have to take some shots at the range and get a feel for the gun before I decide on anything like that.

-M

Again, it is all in what you use it for. The AFG works good for me because I want it slim and trim. I don't think you could carry it with a standard sling and a VFG. And since mine is for "quick-to-action" use the VFG wouldn't work. Also, I'm not fond of the look of a VFG myself. It is not as streamlined and looks kinda awkward, but that is just my opinion.

That is the nice thing about your stuff though, IT IS YOURS! Do what ever makes you happy.

Well believe it or not, 2 weeks ago, I finally got to go shoot my zombie that I got at Christmas!@! I am absolutely amazed at the quality and accuracy of this rifle. Short barrel, funky stock, sorta like factory sights, 63 yr old eyes with bi-focals, and probably hadn't had 50 rounds thru it before me. This thing shot less than an 1.5 group at 50 yards, and 3 inch groups at 100 yds. This is the best kept secret of the century. Those Remlins better look out cause there is a new dog in town and he has some big shiny whites!!! Hate to think how accurate this thing will be when I learn how to shoot it. Still wish they made one in 357 though.

TerryD said:
I use the factory sights and can (with a little effort) shoot 200yrds. Under 100yrd stuff is good and 50 or less is excellent. I would try the factory stuff out before you go changing a bunch on it.

I added a Streamlight TRL1 light and a black MagPul AFG to mine. The AFG makes it a little more comfortable for your front hand and I put the light on because I wanted this thing for a camp gun.

Really dig the MagPul AFG, which is exactly what I am doing to mine. Also gonna get some Weaver 403 rails along with some see thru rings for my scope. Any suggestions on the rings to use so I can use the factory sites too?

Give is some time.

There aren't too many 464 owners on the board that check in regularly. I'd love to help, but I don't have any personal experience with this model...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Give is some time.

There aren't too many 464 owners on the board that check in regularly. I'd love to help, but I don't have any personal experience with this model...

Guess I am gonna trail and error it via Amazon with its reviews and my Prime membership. Damn!

Keep us posted.

We'd love to have you stick around and let us know how it goes. We need more active 464 owners on board...

Well I took out the 464 SPX with a Simmons scope (yes I know not the best, but haven't bought the Redfield yet). I shot about 60 rds and got the scope pretty dialed in for 100 yards. But what I need to find are a nice set of see thru rings so I can use the stock sights for close range and the scope for up to 100 yards. Overall the scope held zero, but boy does this thing kick like a mule. Also I had one problem keep the scope mounts tight. Gonna have to find a quality set. Any suggestions on those or the rings?

I would post more, but the only thing I really do with my 464 is shoot it. I would like to upgrade the sights, but it just works so well for me the way it is. Besides, if I want to shoot a scoped rifle, I have a Ruger 243 that I use. Sorry I'm not much help...

I bought this model for my grandchildren because the stock goes down to a 10.5 inch LOP.

Set it up with a Nikon scope and using Managed recoil 30-30 ammunition. I couldn't ask for a rifle that fit smaller children better with low recoil for Deer hunting. The better fit also helps with recoil and control.

I'm surprised that it's not being advertised for smaller people.

Welcome to the forum from NY. I'll bet you are a very popular grandad with the grandchildren. :D

Looks like 90% of folks don't care fot the SPX. The first time I saw a picture of it I didn't care for it. Didn't see one in any of the LGS until about a week and a half ago. In there on Saturday and they had two on display. Held it and kinda liked it. Left and went about my business. Sunday and Monday, I thought about it and the more I thought, the more I liked it. So, Monday evening ran down to "look" at it again. Ended up putting it on layaway. That only lasted five days. Got it out on Saturday. Each to their own, but I just like it. The way it feels. Compact. The adjustable stock. Exposed hammer. Bridge on the rear of the receiver so a scope can be mounted. I may or may not take the side rails off. The forearm is not a real thing of beauty. The rails are held on with machine screws. There are threaded inserts cast in the forearm for the screws. They are slightly above the surface of the forearm, so something would have to be done. And, I didn't mention the sights. With the rifle at my shoulder, the sights line up perfectly with the middle of my trifocals. Exactly where they need to be. Does it look different?? Sure it does. But, I also have some other guns that "look" different. I just hope I don't scare anyone off at the range when I shoot it to get it sighted in.

Thinking about putting a 1-4 x 20 scope on it with quick release rings, but won't decide for sure until I shoot it with the iron sights.

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new rifle!

Studies show that 90% of negative crap other people say about your choices doesn't matter much and the other 10% doesn't matter at all. If you like it, we're happy for you. Glad you decided to drop in and we'll need some photos of that new SPX when you get a chance...

Back