• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 SPX tactical lever rifle

A good lever action has been well proven for more than 100 years to "get things done".

I was doing some looking around on YouTube. A guy says that new 464 SPX's are going for $650! I looked up one on gunbroker.com. A used one's current bid is $680!! I almost thought about selling this gun. But I love this thing too much to sell it. I'm only in it for about $500 bucks, but up $150 bucks or do isn't worth my first rifle leaving me forever.

Last edited:
Yes, do not get anxious.

The price is going double.
It won’t take long either, but consider inflation.

Money ain’t what it was.

You can't touch a lever gun under $600 anymore. Not even the south american imports. (rossi and some other brand under them--I can't recall what it's called now).

Ruger bought out the rights to Marlin. They're releasing the new ruger made marlins. I don't suspect they'll be cheap either though.

The Marlins are now in their third ownership. The original "JM" stamped Marlins are still the most sought after and current prices for good ones from the 70s exceed prices of new ones. Remington (actually their parent) bought Marlin a few years ago and in most old school Marlin owners view was a complete disaster. The quality and workmanship went down. Many refused to buy them. The original marlins were hand built by craftsmen who had worked for Marlin for years. Remington thought they could do production line guns.

Recently, within the last year or so, Ruger bought the Marlin name and tooling. About a month ago they began shipping their first 1895s in 45-70 to dealers. Reportly, the MSRP is $1400 so we'll see the street price. There is great hope that these lever guns will be of the same quality of the original "JM" weapons. Time will tell. They are being offered as "Marlin" not "Ruger-Marlin". Expect to see the new model 336 in 30-30s and 35 Remington calibers next but haven't seen a release date. Understand the 1894 offering will be next but no announcement on calibers to be offered.

If you have an original "JM" stamped gun I'd hold on to it. The prices of certain models have gone astronomical mainly due to non availability on the secondary market. This is especially true of the old Guide Guns in 45-70, 444 and 450 Marlin.

Regards

Last edited:
Mine must be a Remington then. So far I have nothing bad to say about it except this:

They put the front sights on before indexing the barrels, and then bend the front sight sideways to sight the gun in. It works! the gun shoots pretty straight for a big-bore carbine bear stopper. But it looks funny when you first shoot the gun.

When it arrived, I looked at that sight and exclaimed, "It's been dropped!"

Not so. No marks on the gun at all. (My kid fixed that...)

Mine must be a Remington then. So far I have nothing bad to say about it except this:

They put the front sights on before indexing the barrels, and then bend the front sight sideways to sight the gun in. It works! the gun shoots pretty straight for a big-bore carbine bear stopper. But it looks funny when you first shoot the gun.

When it arrived, I looked at that sight and exclaimed, "It's been dropped!"

Not so. No marks on the gun at all. (My kid fixed that...)

Glad to see your's works. As I said above the oiginal "JM" Marlins were hand-built by old craftsmen. The new Remington owners implemented so called assembly pods and from what I've been told the goal was to assemble a rifle in 2 1/2 minutes and out the door. If I remember right Remington corporate owners bought out the original Marlin group around 2009 or 2010 so about ten years of "Remlins" were sold. Ruger bought the name, tooling, drawings, etc last year and moved everything to a new facility in Mayodan, N.C.

Should be seeing new Marlins 1895SBL on the shelf soon. The one easy way to spot one is the Marlin Bullseye on the stock. They have changed the color from the original "black on white" to Ruger's "red on whte" Serial numbers will be prefixed with RM.

Regards

Looking on the Mossberg website and there are no "Lever action" rifles posted. Has the the 464 been discontinued?

Used 464 Spx on Gunbroker.com for $800. Buy it now for $1200. Price is definitely going up fast. Amazing. Still gonna keep mine.

I don't blame you buddy. No way I'd sell it either. Prices on everything have skyrocketed. That's still a big jump though.

It makes me glad that I quit putting money in the IRA 10 years ago, and started buying guns and ammo and tools.

As the value of the market goes down the value of the hardware goes up!

Canada had a gun show 2 months ago (Taccom) and Mossberg was kind enough to send a rep up to entertain us Canadians, I expressed my disappointment that they discontinued the 464/HS12 asked if they were any plans to resurrect the 464 model in the future (none at this time). I also wrote to Mossberg expressing my disappointment in the discontinuation but also that there was no advanced notice.

I am content that I was able to purchase a 464 before the discontinuation.

Not 4 sale.
PXL-20221110-175126237.jpg

In one of the episodes Luke shows and explains his fully semi-automatic trigger to someone. It is essentially a thumbscrew in the lever... :) The AFT does not approve... ;)

The_Rifleman.gif

Back