• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action Reviews...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_re ... x4_061907/
Greg Rodriguez Review

Mossberg's 4x4 Bolt Action Is A Real Tack Driver
Mossberg has always been known as a maker of affordable, quality shotguns. I own a few and have always liked them, but I was not aware that Mossberg made a rifle until two years ago when a friend of mine who isn't really a gun guy showed up in deer camp with a brand-new Model 100 ATR in .270. He bought it at Wal-Mart, complete with a scope, for $289.

And then I shot it.

The rifle showed promise when my friend shot it. He isn't the greatest shot in the world, but the bullets were landing in nice little triangles. When my buddy had zeroed it to his satisfaction, I took a turn. My first group, with Winchester's 130-grain Power-Point factory load measured around a half-inch. Subsequent groups were equally impressive. I didn't go right out and buy one, but that gun came to mind during several conversations about accurate, affordable rifles.

A year later, I landed in Rapid City, South Dakota, to test the yet-to-be-announced, top-secret Mossberg 4x4 rifle. My expectations for the new rifle were much higher than when my friend unwrapped his shiny new ATR.

SPECIFICATIONS
Mossberg Bolt-Action Rifle
Manufacturer: O.F. Mossberg & Sons
Model: 4x4
Operation: Bolt-action
Caliber: 7mm Remington Magnum
Barrel Length: 24 inches
Overall Length: 42 inches
Weight, empty 6.7 pounds
Length Of Pull: 13.25 inches
Safety: Two positions
Sights: None; receiver is drilled and tapped for scope mount bases
Stock: Synthetic
Magazine Capacity: 3 rounds
Finish: Marinecote
Price: $481

I was not disappointed in the .300 Winchester Magnum prototype 4x4. Fit and finish were first rate, and it was an attractive and unique-looking rifle that shot the lights out. I had no trouble shooting minute-of-angle groups with it at 100 yards. Steel targets from field positions out to 250 yards were a cinch with the Mossberg 4x4.

In the field the 4x4's new stock handled like a dream. From prone I took a nice pronghorn ram at a hair over 250 yards. The forend rode my crumpled daypack quite well, and my sight picture was rock solid when the trigger broke. I later took a nice bison bull from offhand with it. I leaned against a tree for the first shot, but the second was an offhand snap shot at nearly 100 yards. The rifle came up on target and hung rock steady on both shots.

Once again, I was impressed after a brief encounter with a Mossberg rifle. And I was excited that I was in line to receive a production 4x4 rifle for more in-depth testing. Four months later I had one in my hands.

The 4x4 Rifle
Mossberg's new 4x4 rifle is based on the Model 100 ATR action and is machined from bar stock. Cartridge capacity is four standard or three magnum cartridges in the 4x4's smooth-feeding detachable polymer magazine. The bolt locks up via two large locking lugs, and the right locking lug houses the sliding extractor. A plunger-style ejector is housed on the left side of the boltface. A prominent gas shield on the left side of the bolt protects the shooter in the event of a ruptured case. My sample 4x4's bolt was very smooth with just a minimal amount of side-to-side play.
The new Mossberg 4x4 bolt-action rifle comes with laminated, walnut, or synthetic stocks and is chambered for .25-06, .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06, .300 Winchester Magnum, and .338 Winchester Magnum. Magazine capacity is four rounds of standard cartridges and three rounds of magnum cartridges.

The safety lever is a small, stamped metal piece situated just behind the bolt handle. It is a two-position affair that doesn't lock the bolt. The safety on my review rifle operates smoothly and positively, with a satisfying tactile and audible "click."

The bolt release is a similarly shaped stamping on the left side of the receiver. To remove the bolt, simply hold down the bolt release and retract the bolt.

The new 4x4 is chambered for .25-06, .270 Winchester, .30-06, 7mm Remington Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, and .338 Winchester Magnum. The rifle features a free-floated, button-rifled barrel with a recessed crown. Magnum rifles, like the review gun, come with a 24-inch tube while standard calibers come with 22-inch barrels. The barrel is devoid of sights, but Weaver-style bases are affixed to the receiver at the factory.
Available finishes for the new 4x4 are matte blue and Mossberg's proprietary Marinecote, which is a satin nickel finish that is corrosion resistant.

The entire barreled action is finished in Mossberg's proprietary Marinecote. Marinecote is a satin nickel finish and is both attractive and corrosion resistant. It is a pleasant contrast to the sample rifle's black stock.

The 4x4's futuristic stock is the most notable difference between the 100 ATR and the 4x4. Its rakish lines, vented forend, and skeletonized buttstock give it a distinctive appearance. The buttstock also has what can best be described as Mossberg's 21st-century interpretation of a Monte Carlo cheekpiece and what I describe as a "real" recoil pad. On the synthetic stock two polymer sling swivel attachment points (you can't really call them studs) and the trigger guard are integral, molded-in parts. (Laminated- and walnut-stocked 4x4s are available.) The magazine catch is recessed into the stock just ahead of the magazine.

As futuristic-looking as it is, the 4x4's stock has some old-school handling qualities. A thin wrist and trim forend contribute to its lively feel. The unusual Monte Carlo-esque cheekpiece aligned my eye perfectly with the Simmons 3-9X ProHunter scope that I mounted on the review rifle thanks in part to its relatively short, 13.25-inch length of pull.
The 4x4 is based on the Mossberg Model 100 ATR bolt action.

The Simmons ProHunter series features a rugged one-piece tube, high-quality optical glass, and HydroShield lens coating. I particularly liked its eye relief, which is a constant 3.75 inches throughout the power range. On the range I was also impressed with the scope's adjustments, which moved the advertised quarter-inch per click.
The 4x4's synthetic stock is innovative with its skeletonized buttstock

Shooting The 4x4
Before I get into the results of putting the 7mm Magnum Model 4x4 through its paces at the American Shooting Centers near Houston, I want to say that I am not recoil sensitive, but I realize that many shooters are, so I try to take note of the recoil of every gun and cartridge combination I review. I generally don't find the 7mm Remington Magnum's recoil objectionable in sporter-weight rifles. With the scope, a full magazine, and one of Blackhawk's new Mountain Slings attached, the 4x4 weighed in at exactly eight pounds, so I was not expecting it to recoil excessively. However, I was surprised to find that recoil was even less than I had expected!
Monte Carlo-style cheekpiece, effective recoil pad

The 4x4's excellent recoil pad was a key ingredient in minimizing recoil, but I believe two other factors greatly contributed to its light recoil. First, the skeletonized buttstock is not as stiff as a conventional stock. I believe the resulting flex soaks up a fair amount of the recoil. Second, in my experience, Monte Carlo cheekpieces have always seemed to help minimize recoil in hard-kicking rifles. As unconventional as it looks, the 4x4's stock is an especially effective and comfortable example of the design that really seems to help tame recoil.
Integral trigger guard, and recessed magazine catch located just ahead of the magazine well.

I started my shooting review with Federal's 160-grain Nosler Partition load. I've had mixed results over the years regarding accuracy with Partitions, but they've always performed well on game. I planned to hunt with the 4x4, so I wanted to use Partitions after testing "flavor of the month" bullets almost exclusively for the last few years. I was not disappointed. The rifle drove the first three rounds into a neat little triangle that measured just 0.65 inch. Subsequent groups proved the Mossberg's preference for this load--the average for five groups was an impressive 0.72 inch.

Mossberg's 4x4 Bolt Action Is A Real Tack Driver

This 0.71-inch three-shot group demonstrates the review rifle's accuracy potential. The 7mm Remington Magnum 4x4 rifle's average accuracy for four factory loads and one handload was 0.98 inch at 100 yards.

I also brought out a few of my favorite accuracy loads to see if I could improve on that mark. First, I fired Hornady's 154-grain InterBond load. The InterBond is a great hunting bullet that is also very accurate. Its average for five groups was 1.30 inches--definitely respectable.

Next, I tried Federal's 165-grain Sierra GameKing loading. GameKing bullets drop deer and pronghorn-sized game like lightning, but I wouldn't use them on anything bigger than a deer because they're just too soft. However, they are consistently very accurate, and I thought they might give the Partition load a run for its money.

The 4x4 liked the Sierra GameKings. In fact, its 0.78-inch, five-group average was almost identical to the Partition's five-group average. And, with a biggest group of 0.89 inch, the GameKing load was more consistent. Still, I would choose the 160-grain Partition over the GameKing by virtue of its versatility on game.

I also put five strings of Winchester's 150-grain Ballistic Silvertip load through the 4x4. The Ballistic Silvertip line has always shot well for me, regardless of caliber, so I wasn't surprised that it, too, averaged close to one MOA. The actual average was 1.22 inches.

Since the sample 4x4 seemed to like bullets in the 160- to 165-grain weight range best, I decided to try a pet handload with the Barnes 160-grain X-bullet over 61.5 grains of Reloder 22. This load exited the 4x4's muzzle at a respectable 2826 fps. My first group with this load showed promise. It wasn't a screamer, but the 0.77-inch group was encouraging. I dug in and shot another group, and it measured 0.69 inch. By the time I finished, I had a five-group average of 0.88 inch. I didn't beat the best factory load, but I was pretty darn close!
The 4x4's bolt locks up via two large locking lugs, and a large gas shield on the left side protects the shooter in the event of a ruptured case.

Although my previous experiences with Mossberg rifles had been positive, I was surprised at how accurate this 4x4 was. I have tested many rifles that would shoot a favorite load or two into an inch or less, but not many factory rifles can produce sub-MOA accuracy so consistently with a variety of loads. And its accuracy is even more impressive when you consider the 4x4's low retail price.

I liked the new 4x4 rifle so much that I took it to my friend's ranch to hunt pigs. My daughter, Chloe, and I hunted high and low for a sow suitable for the grill, and on the last morning of the hunt I got a shot at one. The big old sow had come into a large oat patch to feed in the pre-dawn, and when I squeezed the trigger, the 160-grain Nosler Partition smashed through both shoulders and dropped her in her tracks.

Shooting Mossberg's 7mm Magnum 4x4
BULLET POWDER VELOCITY (fps) 100-YD ACCURACY (inches)
(Type) (Grs.)
Barnes 160-gr. X-Bullet Reloder 22 61.5 2826 0.88
Winchester 150-gr. Ballistic Silvertip Factory Load 3046 1.22
Hornady 154-gr. InterBond Factory Load 2996 1.30
Federal 160-gr. Partition Factory Load 2837 0.72
Federal 165-gr. GameKing Factory Load 2841 0.78
NOTES: Accuracy is the average of five three-shot groups fired from a Caldwell benchrest at 100 yards. Velocity is the average of 5 rounds measured 10 feet from the gun's muzzle.

I came away from that hog hunt with the same warm and fuzzy feelings about Mossberg's new 4x4 rifle that I experienced after shooting that first 100 ATR rifle two years ago. It is accurate, well made, and has several innovative design features. Rare is the economy-priced rifle that inspires "oohs" and "aahs" from serious gun people, but when it shoots as good as the 4x4 does, no real shooter can help but admire it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL1CEYVOVg0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpLPzhgA-pM&feature=related[/youtube]

Took my new Mossberg 4x4 in 7mm Mag fluted SS barrel & muzzle break with a 4-16x scope out to the range for the first time today. I was very pleased on how it shot and how much the muzzle break cut down on the recoil. Started of at 50 yds to get on paper, after 2 shots I was right on the bull. I fired a 7 shot group about 1", but 6 of the shots were were in less than 1/2". Moved to 100 yds and fired a few more. This gun really shoots well, looks good, pleasant to shoot and it was priced right. I am really happy with my choice.

Mike

I am very serious of picking up a Mossberg 4x4 in the 7mm mag. Do y'all still feel the same way about yours since you had it for a couple of years? I am looking at getting something bigger than the 30-06 I have for bigger game since I might be able to go up north next year to hunt elk and or moose and maybe a large brown or grizzly.

Local gun shop has the 4x4 in 300 win mag with the scope and spiral fluted bolt & bi pod for 419.00 that a good price?

I have a 4x4 in 270. Lets just say this rifle is a best kept secret. I can shoot three round groups at 100 yards through the same hole. The muzzle brake and recoil pad do their job and the recoil is not bad at all. This gun could certainly sell for twice as much. I have the synthetic stick which does seem a little cheap but it shoots like a champ. I added 1.8 pounds of weight inside the buttstock with fishing weights packed in with clay. This helped reduce recoil wen more and made the gun feel more rigid and tough. I also added a swivel stud for a bipod.

.338WM, synthetic stock. Nice rifle BUT a few issues. First, the stock forend is very flimsy. It easily distorts and touches the barrel, especially in warmer weather. It may not be a problem without a bipod, but certainly is with one. That leads to number two, the sling mounts are still those breakage prone molded in deals. Mossberg needs to change those to the regular steel threaded type for ALL stocks. Third, the detachable magazine won't allow enough length to seat my bullets out where I want them (close to touching the rifling lands). Fourth... ok, I'll just quit numbering the gripes. :lol: Ok, the way the magazine holder is sandwiched into the stock between the action and stock allows for lots of wiggle. The magazine holder needs to be epoxied into the stock to fix it. When that's done, it's possible to bed the action into the stock... just don't ever expect to be able to remove the magazine holder if something happens like the little spring loaded lever breaking. The bolt design is fine, like a Savage. Not fancy but it sure works. The bolt fluting is gimmicky... I'd rather not have the fluting and have them concentrate their efforts elsewhere. On my old ATR 30-06 from 2007, the barrel needed no break-in, shoots .5 MOA regularly, and needs a full cleaning (including copper removal) about every 150 rounds. It's a button rifled barrel. My 2012 4x4 clearly has the machining roughness visible in the bore and appears to be broach cut rifling. With a clean bore, it takes 2-3 fouling shots to be consistent... then it starts throwing fliers by the 10th round due to copper fouling. By 15 rounds it's 5"+ groups and there's a LOT of copper to be cleaned out. I've got about 60 rounds through it and have been doing a lot of the "two shots then complete clean" thing. It takes most of an afternoon to get the bore clean again. It's starting to smooth a bit. Got a long way to go. :( Sooo, overall, if Mossberg would thicken and stiffen the forend, change how the magazine well/holder is designed, lengthen the magazine to allow longer cartridge length, and have well finished smooth barrel bores, they'd have a great gun for the money.

Oh, I've also added weight to the hollow in the stock (some strap steel wrapped in towel).

I looked down the bores of 3 new ATRs a few days ago and they were all nice and smooth like my ATR from '07. My .338 4x4 appears to be a lemon with its machining marks clearly visible in the bore, causing my copper fouling frustrations. I've shot the gun quite a bit and modified it so it's not something I can return. I wonder if Mossberg will send me a different barrel if I take mine off and send it to them. Hmmm...

Got a 4x4 22 250 on the way marine coat with laminate stock anything you can tell me would be great and can anyone rec a good bipod hear some people having trouble getting one to fit

The MVP series rifles use 4x4 actions, so I would imagine it'll feel pretty much the same...

.22-250 is a pretty wicked round. It will crater 3/8 AR500 at 200 yards. So shooting steel is out. Never shot an MVP or 4x4. But my savage will reach out an touch stuff.

I was on the range the other day with my 3 year old Mossberg 4x4 (30.06) to re-check my zero. After a 3 shot 1/2 inch group at 100 mtrs and a 3 shot .75 inch group at 200 mtrs (300 mtr range was unavailable), I felt it was no use wasting good ammo so I packed up and went to the pistol range to fire my 45acp :D

Back