• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action Troubleshooting

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your mossberg 4x4 bolt action; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

I have read in other places that a common failure mode for the 4x4 long action is the shell extraction system. I have a 4x4 in .270 my extractor claw broke (while firing a second shot at a 14 point stag). Anyone else have similar issues?

Also I have frequent misfires over a couple of different brands of ammunition. On dissasembling the bolt, everything seems fine. Is there a fix for this that does not require a gun smith? What would the gun smith do in this situation?

I have had my Mossberg 4x4 for about a year now and it has performed flawlessly but it is also the latest model. You may want to call up Mossberg customer service and see what they have to say about your issues. Keep us updated.

I am in New Zealand and as such there is no hotline here. I have contacted the distributer and they have requested I send the rifle to them, I was just enquiring as to others experiences.

Also, is it possible to retrofit the adjustable trigger? Has anyone done this? (obviously it is logical that it is easy, and possible, I am wanting to hear from someone who has done it).

So I bought my first ever mossberg last week in a 4x4 270 Win with poreted muzzle brake and was amazed on how light it was. Now i am pretty sure it is just me but i was wondering if anyone else has experienced where when sighting in the rifle, at 50 yards i am a inch high .5 inch apart. So now at a 100 yards i am shooting 4 inches high and 4 inches apart.
ammunition is from my local gun store and are 270 Win from Winchester 130 grain.
scope is a bushnell 600 DOA trophy.

any insight would be great and i do expect to hear that it is all me...lol

So you have been unable to zero in the scope? If so what rings are you using to mount the scope?

Not at 100 yards anyways. The rings were giving to me from my boss off his 270 savage. I am pretty sure that rifle was a package deal with a bushnell scope on it (thinking about it).

Do you have any pictures of your setup? Was it bore-sighted before bringing it to the range?

No pic as of yet. Got rifle bore sighted but if i remember correctly they bore sighted it to zero due to having the ported muzzle brake. So i have been sighting in at 25 yards to 50 yards to 100 yards. 25 and 50 were fairly easy to sight in, was putting rounds side by side .5 inch apart.

Have you had anyone else try and shoot your Mossberg 4x4 at 100 yards?

Nope that was the first time i had it out. Going to buy somemore rounds and see if its just me...lol, if I can grab my bro-in-law get him to try it out. But you got me thinking on the rings though, if they came on a package deal on a rifle and the scope even being a bushnell is cheap. Would the rings also be cheap? And if thats the case new rings may help. Just a thought though.

It may be user error so its worth having someone at the range give it a try and see if they have the same issue as you. As for the rings I was wondering because on my Mossberg 4x4 I had to use a set of high rings in order to properly sight in the rifle.

Hey Dan thought I would keep you updated on what I found out with my 270. I was looking over it making sure everything was good and tight. Found the rear rings loose at the base, so went to local dealer and got some better rings. If weather holds out nice (not pouring rain) going to grab a couple friends to go zero it in.

Sounds good, that would certainly cause it to not zero in.

Sorry for the long delay in replying back, got flooded out so only just got out again to zero my rifle. The new rings worked great, rifle is now zeroed at 125 yrds and half inch groupings. Oh forgot to mention I put on my Bushnell 600 doa scope.
My boss made a 500 yrd range at a friends with the 125 yrd target to sight in and zero scopes. After rifle was zero tried my luck at the 500 yrd target and only missed on the first shot as I was a little aim in aiming. Next for hit high and to the left (had a 20 to 30 km wind) , but still hit the target. Was sure nice hearing the gong of the impact 3 seconds after the impact.
And yes I did a happy dance....lmao.

Hey everyone its been awhile since I was last on here, so I thought I would leave an update as too how my 4x4 .270 was doing. I got this rifle shoot .75 moa at 130 yards consistantly, have it hitting about a foot high at 500yards or a foot low depending on if I use the 400 yard reticle or 500 reticle. so still fine tuning on that part.
But I did start noticing that the reticles in my scope were starting to turn, so I am taking a good guess it has to do with the ported muzzle break. I know this scope is good as I had it on a 30 06 and had no problems with it. Scope is a bushnell xlt 600 doa.
So took off muzzle break and going to try a different scope to see if that was the problem. Other then that awesome shooting rifle and handles some hot loads very very well.

images

Thanks for the update! Keep us updated on how the long range tweaking goes.

Back