• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 4x4 or 100 ATR Bolt Action?

It is Laconia motorcycle week here in NH and I had plans to be out on the bike cruising the mountains and checking out the rally. Well the weather had other plans (seems to happen almost every year) and has been raining constant.

So out of frustration me and a friend decided to run some errands just to get out of the house. We hit a couple of the local gun shops to price out ammo.

While I was talking to a clerk, he wandered off into the rifle racks. He is a NH Fish and Game huntiung instructor and has dealt with his own fair share of Q&A from me on my desire to acquire my first rifle to round out my collection of firsts.

I got a tap on the shoulder and when I turned around a bolt action was thrust into my hands.

"This is what you should be looking into." he said as I excused myself from the counter.

I looked it over, looked down the scope, and worked the action a few times. After that, I found I liked the way it felt and functioned.

So with that, I ended up carrousing the Mossberg site when I got home and looked at the bolt action rifles.

I really love the look of this 4x4 model and was thinking of getting it in .30-06 caliber;

Standard Stock

27580.jpg

Sculpted stock

27461.jpg

The only thing that I am worried about is the muzzle break. I have heard and read stories of muzzle breaks making it a less than popular item for shooting at the range. Not to mention that it makes it louder for the shooter as well. With no experience there I differ to you guys for opinions.

With that in mind I looked for options without a muzzle break. The 4x4 does not have a scope option package without a break so I looed into the 100 ATR series. After a little looking I came across the Night Train model.

There is a lot of appeal there for me because of the package deal. Piccatinny rail for plenty of scope options, 4-16x50mm variable scope with sunshade included, bipod, heavy duty nylon strap, and adjustable trigger. The only downside (in my opinion) is the lack of that beautiful wood grain, but for $100 less I can get around that.

Here is that model

27200.jpg

So I sit at a crossroads. Anyone have any insight/opinions to offer?

Re: Want a rifle to complete the set

My $.02 would be to get the RIFLE you want, regardless of the scope package or lack thereof. An inexpensive yet effective scope and mount can be added easily enough. Finding the right scope is just as important as picking the rifle.

I have to ask, why .30-06? I would understand if you were planning to use the rifle for hunting, but for target shooting inside 500-600 yards there are better caliber options in my humble opinion. I would suggest looking to .308. The differences in performance between the two calibers are slight, but basically break down to the .30-06 being a more effective hunting round due to its terminal ballistics and the .308 being the more accurate of the two and better suited for target shooting. In addition, the average .308 load will have about 20% less felt recoil that the heavier hitting .30-06. That makes a big difference on a long day at the range.

Again just my opinion, and food for though...

Re: Want a rifle to complete the set

1.) .30-06 is a great round and can be found virtually anywhere in the world. .308 is another great round though.

2.) I prefer the sculpted stock but that is personal preference.

3.) I have a Mossberg 4x4 with the muzzle break and absolutely love it. It does an excellent job reducing felt recoil and is easily removed if you wanted to shoot without it. The Mossberg 4x4 is a a bit louder while using the muzzle break for the shooter but I have never had anyone complain at the range.

4.) The Mossberg 100 ATR Night Train is a great rifle as well but for me I would still go with the 4x4.

The reason I fell on the .30-06 was because if I wanted to get the stock with the blued barrel optoin it only came in .270 Win, .30-06 Spng, and .300 Win calibers.

If I get the same rifle but with the marinecoat finish barrel, the .308 is available. I guess I will have to see how I feel about that finish option as I think about it more.

I wasn't aware that the muzzle break was removable on the 4x4. That changes the game for me in a positive way. Now I can keep looking at the 4x4.

Thank you guys for your insight! I really appreciate the efforts you guys put forward to help make an informed choice.

I am glad to help! The muzzle break is a little difficult to remove but with a screw driver it turns right off and then there is a thread cap to install while the muzzle break is removed.

Oh and as far as the muzzle brake goes, they can significantly enhance the boom factor!

The brake on my 5.56 SCAR makes it louder than just about any of the larger caliber rifles at the range. The design of the brake forms a sort of cone around the shooter and it's quiet as can be from behind the rifle. Step to the side however, and it's a whole different story. It's a semi-auto too and I usually let em fly pretty quick. I'm definitely not gonna win any popularity contests with that rifle. But, it does what it's supposed to do. The rifle is more controllable and felt recoil is diminished.

Ripsnortr said:
Thank you guys for your insight! I really appreciate the efforts you guys put forward to help make an informed choice.

Hey no worries brother, that's what we're here for. Besides, my wife gets sick and tired of hearin me talk about guns so this is great place for me to unload! :lol:

Howdy. I'm down the road in Milton, enjoying the sunshine today (for once!). :D

I have the ATR 100 in .30-06. It's a very accurate rifle for the money, up to a point. That point being three-four rounds, which is all I need for hunting. If I were intent on long target practice sessions or even competition, I'd probably look for something else that can handle a hot barrel better.

In no way would I want the muzzle brake on the end. I think it's unnecessary for this caliber's recoil and unnecessary roughness to your fellow shooters at the range, given the caliber and the recoil. (Many guides in Alaska refuse to allow them, even on the magnums, because of the effects of standing alongside.)

Back