• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Disassembly

Re: Mossberg 500 Persuader - Pistol Grip & Buttstock Install

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_nbaJ8YiYg&feature=related[/youtube]

Re: Mossberg 500 Persuader - Pistol Grip & Buttstock Install

There is a youtube button when posting to allow you to embed the videos on the forum.

Complete 500 takedown and re-assembly

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV6oIcCQjj8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Re: Complete 500 takedown and re-assembly

This is an excellent video and I have used it several times since owning my Mossberg 500. Thanks for posting it!

Re: Complete 500 takedown and re-assembly

Good posting :cool: I was working on making a vid of me taking down my 500A.

Disassembly and reassembly of a mossberg 500.

As I cleaned a mossberg 500 today, I decided to take photos ,step by step throughout the entire process. Here are those photos with explanations for each step of the process.

Put safety on, Check to make sure firearm is unloaded, Pump forarm back and forth, Double check to make sure firearm is unloaded! , pull forearm back 1/2 way and remove barrel,

remove trigger guard retaining pin [ located bottom rear of receiver],
Mossberg500fieldstrip009.jpg

remove trigger group [pull up on rear of trigger guard and pull trigger group rearward],
Mossberg500fieldstrip015.jpg

remove cartridge stops,
Mossberg500fieldstrip017.jpg

Mossberg500fieldstrip019.jpg

remove bolt slide plate,
Mossberg500fieldstrip022.jpg

Mossberg500fieldstrip025.jpg

push forearm forward and off ammo tube,
Mossberg500fieldstrip026.jpg

remove cartridge elevator [squeeze rear of elevator until pins pop out of holes in each side of receiver, then lift out] ,
Mossberg500fieldstrip027.jpg

Mossberg500fieldstrip030.jpg

remove bolt body[ slide forward and out barrel hole in front of receiver].
Mossberg500fieldstrip032.jpg

Receiver is now empty and ready for cleaning.
Mossberg500fieldstrip035.jpg

Reassembly.

Insert bolt through barrel hole in front of receiver, with extractors forward,
Mossberg500fieldstrip041.jpg

install cartridge elevator, [squeeze together and insert pins into mating holes]
Mossberg500fieldstrip030.jpg

Mossberg500fieldstrip042.jpg

Push front of cartridge elevator down onto bolt body,
Mossberg500fieldstrip043.jpg

slide forearm onto ammunition tube and slide end of action bar into mating slot on receiver [push end of action bar toward top of receiver and slide toward rear of firearm to insert action bar into receiver]
Mossberg500fieldstrip049.jpg

Install bolt slide plate into receiver, lining it up on top of action bar and into bolt body [this is a bit tricky so make sure the action bar , bolt slide plate and bolt body mate perfectly , you may need to wiggle all three around a bit. The bolt slide plate will only drop into the receiver in the bolt slide plate cut out area.]
Mossberg500fieldstrip051.jpg

Mossberg500fieldstrip050.jpg

Install cartridge stops, [The one on the side of the ammo ejection port is the smaller of the two, it is also the one with the pin that inserts into the mating hole in the receiver , the larger of the two installs on the solid side of the receiver. Both install hooked end inward]
Mossberg500fieldstrip055.jpg

Mossberg500fieldstrip056.jpg

install trigger group [while holding cartridge stops in place install trigger group, front in first then snap trigger group down in rear]
Mossberg500fieldstrip058.jpg

Mossberg500fieldstrip059.jpg

install trigger guard pin,
Mossberg500fieldstrip060.jpg

reinstall barrel.
Firearm should now be reassembled and ready for function test.

Re: Disassembly and reassembly of a mossberg 500.

Thank you for taking the time out to post up a very thorough guide to taking apart a Mossberg 500. :ugeek:

You are quite welcome CC. I know how many people own 500's and I hope this helps them, plus save them a few bucks at the gunsmith shop when it comes time for a cleaning. I only charge 20 bucks to do this job but I know of some that charge upwards of $40.

911JB
Excellent! That's what having a forum like this is all about. Really appreciate the time you took to do this for us. Big thumbs up.

You're welcome humblePie. You are correct, the sharing of information and of lifes experiences is what its all about. Thank you for the kind words.

Nicely done man!!! Thanks for taking the time to get all this up here!

Thanks for the complement Rossignol, and you're welcome. The only real time consuming part was the downloading of the photos to photobucket. Since my cheap butt is still on dial-up it took almost 3 hours, :lol: .

3 hours! Thats dedication!!!

Thanks for this post. I will be using it this week to disassemble and clean my "new to me" 500CG. :D

You're welcome DamnYankee. Did you get your 500 tore down and back together OK?

911JB said:
You're welcome DamnYankee. Did you get your 500 tore down and back together OK?

Yes, I did. Thanks for asking. She needed a good cleaning too. Lots of gunk.

I usually find pieces of weeds and corn stalks and stuff like that in the 500's when I am cleaning a bird hunters gun. It always amazes me how much stuff can gather in there before they stop working. It reminds me of a AK47.

I cannot remove the forend assembly from the receiver. It seems to be held in with some type of spring resistance. I cannot figure out something so simple that every video and the write up here shows as a 2 second action. What am I doing wrong?

Back