• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 double feed

I’m having trouble with double feeding in my mossberg 500. I have replaced the shell stop and shell interrupter . I have also replaced the shell lift / elevator. I replaced the shell fallower . The shell fallower is the only non Mossberg factory replacement part. I’m still getting double feed issues.
I was thinking about getting a magazine spring to see if that would solve the issue.
I forgot to mention that the shell fallower is a M Carbo stainless steel.
The question is if I order the Mossberg factory replacement spring will I have to cut it down. Or should I leave it as is. Also if it makes a difference the 500 is a gold trigger 5+1 capacity.
Any other advice would be helpful.
I have also taken out the new shell stop and put the old one back that seemed to help some .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a pic of a good cartridge stop. It dosen't take much to be a problem with the amount it touches the shell.
Take note of how much it is on the shell.cartridge good cartridge stop.jpg

Mine is really close to that now . I bought the gun used . I think that to fix the problem they tried to cut the magazine spring down . I also think that I should order another magazine spring . I’m just going to order the magazine spring. I’m also going to order another shell stop and shell interrupter.
Would the spring being to short cause any problems? Also when I get the new spring from mossberg will I need to trim it down ,or should it not be messed with?

If your going to get a new spring I would install it without cutting it and see how it acts. JMO

Ok thank you . It’s what figured . There is a reason they make them as long as they do

I had a failure to feed issue on my 590 - Wolff spring, S&J follower, as well as stock

long research but some light filing on the cartridge interrupter solved my issue on the sharp pointed portion - I was actually shocked at how little material I needed to file to make the problem go away

I replaced the shell elevator, the shell stop and the shell interrupter. That did not stop the double feed. Then I replaced the shell fallower. Still the 500 was double feeding.
So while was replacing the follower I noticed the magazine spring was short. I replaced it .
Run some 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch shells through. The magazine spring must have been the problem. Because the new spring has seemed to fix the problem.
I haven’t any 1.75 inch shells to try now . So I’m not sure how it will handle those.
I’m not sure why the spring was so short . I bought the 500 used . It’s in excellent shape other then the magazine spring.
I would say the person that had it took it apart. Then couldnt get the spring in so they cut it shorter. To get the magazine spring back in . Once they got it back in it started double feeding.
Any way it’s a nice gun now I have all new parts inside and also have some spare parts now .
Once I try the mini shells I will let everyone know if the problem is totally fixed .

Back