• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 magazine tube and barrel on 535

ewing7

.22LR
Anybody do this yet? I ordered the kit from brownells for the 500 it comes with the extended magazine tube and the 20 inch barrel. I know i wont be able to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells but will the magazine tube for the 500 fit on the 535? Also anybody have a way to get the magazine tube off?

Yes it will work.

The tube is screwed in and may take some force to get it out. Be careful as it is easier to dent or bend the tube than one might think and that will most likely cause feed problems.

Easiest way is to remove the barrel, place the receiver between your knees and use both hands to try to twist it out. I used this method to get the tube out of my 835 and it worked pretty well. Once it breaks free it will come out easily..

ewing7 said:
Anybody do this yet? I ordered the kit from brownells for the 500 it comes with the extended magazine tube and the 20 inch barrel. I know i wont be able to shoot 3 1/2 inch shells but will the magazine tube for the 500 fit on the 535? Also anybody have a way to get the magazine tube off?

the 20" barrel and tube will fit your 535,and like you said no 3 1/2" shells.

the mag tube is held tight with loctite. best way to get it out is to heat it first to break the loctite. then put the mussel on it.

if you are going to use a strap wrech,,,,be very careful you don't collapse the tube.

So I was wondering how this swap went? I am looking to do the same, but I'm hesitant as the folks at Mossberg said that the 500 barrel won't fit right in the 535 reciever. The folks at Brownell couldn't give me an answer either way, but said their return policy would allow me to return it if it didn't fit. I got the 535 as a gift, but I was looking for more of a home defense setup and this is more of a hunting setup. I really hope this works. So what do you all think?

I havent gotten the magazine tube off yett to put the new one on butt the barrel fits in my 535 fine ill keep u updated when i get it on.

Oh that is good to hear!! So the 20 inch barrel is the same, as far as the part that goes into the reciever? That was my biggest fear. I imagine the may tube will drop right in, once you get the original one out of the way. I'm getting excited that this is possible!!

Well guess what I'm ordering today!! I thought I was going to have to order the ported 20 inch barrel from Mossberg to get the HD setup I wanted, but for about $15 dollars less I'll get the same length with increased capacity!! Although a ported barrel does sound nice........hmmmmm! Decision time.

ewing7 said:
I havent gotten the magazine tube off yett to put the new one on butt the barrel fits in my 535 fine ill keep u updated when i get it on.

still having a problem getting the old mag tube off?

take it to an auto body shop. they all use a commercial heat gun. that should do the trick. ;)

Tried it yesterday and couldnt get it off even tried a hair dryer to heat it up still a no go. Thinking of the heat gun idea i might go buy one their not that expensive. What would i do put the reciever in a vice then heat up where its screwed in?

ewing7 said:
What would i do put the reciever in a vice then heat up where its screwed in?

Yes Sir, that's the idea.

I picked up a heat gun for under $20 and it works like a charm on mag tubes, AR barrel nuts, etc...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
ewing7 said:
What would i do put the reciever in a vice then heat up where its screwed in?

Yes Sir, that's the idea.

I picked up a heat gun for under $20 and it works like a charm on mag tubes, AR barrel nuts, etc...

No potential for damage from over-heating the receiver with the heat gun?

It doesn't get hot enough to damage the receiver.

Just needs to get hot enough to begin to melt any locking compound on the threads...

Good news just got the magazine tube off did the heat gun trick. Waiting on my reciever to coool down so i can put everything back together ill take a pic when its done. Thanks for all the help!

Back