• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 magazine tube and barrel on 535

Will it cycle spent 3 1/2 shells? I figured it would make a difference on the stroke of the slide fore-end.

No just up to 3 inch shells i never shoot 3 1/2 inch shells so it didnt matter to me if i couldnt shoot them.

ewing7 said:
Good news just got the magazine tube off did the heat gun trick. Waiting on my reciever to coool down so i can put everything back together ill take a pic when its done. Thanks for all the help!

After you used the heat gun were you able to turn it off by hand or did you use a tool? Love the finished product. I just got my kit in so I'm itching to do this swap!!

How hot did you get it? I'm having a hell of a time!! I have got this thing really hot, so much so I accidentally touched the receiver with my forearm and have a nice reminder of how hot metal feels!! I've tried unscrewing it by hand, padded it and used some channel locks(that was a mistake) and then a strap wrench. This thing won't freaking move and I'm starting to get pissed!! Not to mention the cosmetic damage I did being a bonehead!!! Any advice? I really don't want to take this to a gun shop, especially with the damage I caused!!!

,,,ouch,sorry to hear you got burnt.

sounds like you got enough heat on it. all i can think of is did you concentrate the heat on the receiver on the top where the tube screws in?
try putting the receiver in a "padded" vise and put the mussel on the tube.
(remember, lefty loosy,,righty tighty.)
keep us posted.

I put it on high and put the heat on where the tube screws in idk how hot it got but it screwed right off.

This is getting insane!!! If heated this thing up to a crazy temp, had my lovely wife hold it down on my workbench, human vice, while I try to turn this thing off and nothing!!! Not even a glimmer of hope that this thing will budge!! I'm starting to lose it!! Unless this thing is reverse threaded in there or pressed in I'm at a loss!!! I even used WD40, applied some last night, this morning and shortly before I applied more heat today. Nothing. Anyone have any ideas? I'm beginning to think I've missed a set screw or something. This shouldn't be so hard!!! Help, please!!

,,,sorry to hear you are still having problems.

it is right hand thread,,,,no set screws,,,,,just some loctite from the factory.

one other thing you could try before taking it to a gun smitty is a propane torch in stead of the heat gun.

if you are anywhere near Long Island,NY you can stop by and i'll help ya.

Thanks for the offer Old Mossy, but Idaho isn't nearly close enough to you!! I'll try to source a torch or really let the receiver have it with the heat gun!!! I just want this barrel swap done!!

old mossy said:
it is right hand thread,,,,no set screws,,,,,just some loctite from the factory.

Just so we are clear a lil more...when you have it in the vice, barrel side up, which way are you trying to turn it? I do not mean to sound condescending in any way at all. It's just that it should have came loose by now.

Ok..Loc Tite is a cyanoacrylate...so essentially anything that eats superglue should do the same to locktite and any solvent for acrylic will be a solvent for Loctite also...

here's some solvents you can take your pick of to try and soak it loose...

Locktite 755..a solvent for thinning locktite, might not break it loose.

MEK..eats it up...

acetone...careful using it on the finish of the receiver!

Let it soak for a few minutes first....then try to loosen it. If it doesn't work extend the time longer for each try.
Be careful of dripage too. And wear gloves.

See if that works....

ripjack13 said:
old mossy said:

Just so we are clear a lil more...when you have it in the vice, barrel side up, which way are you trying to turn it? I do not mean to sound condescending in any way at all. It's just that it should have came loose by now.

Hey Ripjack13, no worries I'm not offended and I have honestly checked this a couple of times already myself. So with the shotgun barrel side up and me standing on the business end of it I am turning it to the left. I have even gone so far as to take the new magazine out and place it in the same orientation as the one on the shotgun to see if maybe I'm losing it!! Thankfully I'm not!! It should just turn off to the left and I swear this thing won't budge. Now I just got back after a week out of town and I'm going to try again tomorrow. I have heard of MEK, don't have any though so I may go and get some. I have other break-free solvents, but I didn't want to get to crazy just yet so I have stayed with WD40. Would you recommend any one in particular? How long would you wait after applying it before putting more heat to it and trying again? I really hope this works tomorrow, feeling a bit defeated here. I mean damn I've swapped a motor into my truck, you'd think I could get this damn thing apart!!! :x

Back