• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Reviews...

I did have a failure to feed in mine today on one shell. It was my fault though i believe i short stroked.the action.

Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

A short stroke can cause a problem with any pump shotgun. Thats is an operator issue and not a shotgun issue. We have all done it at one time or another.

The biggest dig on the Mossberg seem to revolve around the action cycling rough or catching. My hunch is thats most likely attributable to a reviewer picking up a new Mossberg out of the box and doing a review on it.

A new Mossberg needs to be field stripped and cleaned to get rid factory preservative and oiled with a good gun oil. They also need to have the action cycled a few times to smooth up.

My 500E was a new shotgun, It was rough and catchy right out of the box. I did what I outlined above and after 50 or so cycles and some shooting it is a whole lot smoother than it was right out of the box.

It is sweet little shotgun and just keeps getting smoother, and is fast becoming one of my favorites.

Re: Re: Mossberg 500 Pump Action Reviews...

Gunner said:
A short stroke can cause a problem with any pump shotgun. Thats is an operator issue and not a shotgun issue. We have all done it at one time or another.

The biggest dig on the Mossberg seem to revolve around the action cycling rough or catching. My hunch is thats most likely attributable to a reviewer picking up a new Mossberg out of the box and doing a review on it.

A new Mossberg needs to be field stripped and cleaned to get rid factory preservative and oiled with a good gun oil. They also need to have the action cycled a few times to smooth up. My 500E was a new shotgun, I did what I outlined above and after 50 or so cycles and some shooting it is a whole lot smoother than it was right out of the box.

Any gun should be cleaned right out of the box to get rid of the cosmoline. Ive heard of people complaining about the trigger pull on em (mossberg 500's). It feels as light if not lighter than the 4 pound pull on my xd.

Gunner said:
They don't use cosmoline anymore, yet it is a preservative and somewhat gummy.

My xd was packed in it as was my 1911. That was a.year or so ago maybe 2. Who doesnt use it anymore?

Gunner said:
It's not cosmoline, :lol:

And you know this how? Because both springfield and taurus said it was. It was either in their faq or owners manual saying clean before shooting due to cosmoline. I am not trying to be argumentative but i know what i read and what they said.

Re: St. Patrick's Day Photo Contest and Giveaway!!!

* Merged from the St. Patrick's Day Photo Contest

In my very overcrowded safe there are many rifles, as well as 7 shotguns.
3 of these are Mossberg 500's.
That should give you an idea of how much I love this model!
It is unstoppable and I have never had any kind of failure from any of my 500's.

"Bubba" was purchased on Gunbroker and I had to go through my local FFL to do the xfer.
When I went to pick it up, due to the old style Mossberg camo paint job, he said "It looked like a Bubba rattle can paint job!" and the name just stuck.

Since then I have given it a sponge camo paint job and I changed the 28" barrel out for a 26" with a C-Lect choke.

The action on this gun is smooth as butter!
It is my hunting gun.
Pheasants fear it and this spring, so will the Turkeys in my part of the state.

Besides hunting this is my goto Sporting clays gun. The C-Lect choke makes it perfect for this and those that feel a pump is not the correct gun for the game are always proven wrong once I start shooting. This gun has also seen many rounds on the Skeet field.

IMAG01652-1.jpg

Here is our contribution.

IMG_5004.jpg

Here we have a lovely set of Lass's

The M590A1 is tough like a "Kerry footballer" with an inferiority complex who thinks he's just as good as everybody else, Only better.

The Bullpup, Looks about as appealing as Haggis, It may even clean you out just as quick, But we all should try it at least once...

I spent 90% of my money on mossbergs and drink. The rest I wasted.
As the great George Bernard Shaw said "Remember kids, if there's a loaded gun in the room, be sure that you're the
one holding it. ....."

I love both Weapons for the same but different reasons, Sort of, I like the M590A1 for its ultimate durability and bad ass-ness! I like the Bullpup for its oddity, Yet it is still very versatile, Easy to maneuver if not a little heavy.
In the end they do everything I have needed from them, I am certain they will last for many years to come.

Enjoy :)

Well folks here it is my favorite of my 2 current mossbergs the 500AT. The reason its my fav is it is the gun I learned to shoot with, the one I passed hunters saftey using and the one I got from my dad. The action is as smooth as a babys bottom and hasnt ever given me a problem started out life with a 28in and being a back up to my dads other 500 for goose hunting. I finally got him to let me have it when I bought him a 18.5 in security barrel for his in trade for this one. She now sports a 18.5in security barrel with a heat shield for that classic trench gun look. This is the one firearm no matter what will never leave my possesion until I pass it along to my son.

Pic didnt turn out as I hoped thought I had more empties to make clovers with.

Re: Mossberg Customer Service Thread...

.......i'm actually hoping to purchase a 500 cruiser for a friend who is a deputy and getting married..
Has anyone heard of bead sight related problems to the mossberg cruiser # 54125 ??

http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... n=products

I'm thinking of getting two, one to sit on the top of my gun safe and i will be taking my long lop stock from my #51663, since it is too long for me, and fixing it to his..... thanks guys and gals...

Re: Mossberg Customer Service Thread...

^ Nohthing rings a bell for me. You should be good to go...

^^ i moved these last 2 posts here, instead of the customer service topic.

Here is a good quick review of my Mossberg 500...

IT IS AWESOME!!

haha more seriously, I love it and would never get rid of it! It has performed flawlessly and never skips a beat! Shoots everything I throw down the tube and does so with shotgun like accuracy :lol:
With everything I have put this gun through and how long it has gone uncleaned, it is a true testament to how well built these firearms are!

i will be uploading videos soon of the mossberg 500. i have 2 now. the tactical 18" barrel and the cruiser 20".

i will be making videos talking about the gun then installing my upgrades plus shooting before and after mods. i have a tac star side saddle, ati forend, ati halo heat shield, metal thumb safety, light, picatinny rails, cheap red dot and a sling. list might be bigger. the videos should be up by January 15 in hd

plus i am going to swap my 20" 8 shot cruiser pistol grip for my 18" 7 shot ati tactical stock. i wanted to do that anyway so i might as well make a video too. simple stuff but people watch it.

and i am doing a review on each individual upgrade.

i will be doing a out of the box 300round test on both shotguns. mostly bird shot but atleast 50 slugs through each and 50 buck shot

I may have the wrong thread, if so direct me correctly please. I just picked up a 1988 500F 410 with a 26 inch bore, barely used...sweet gun. I would like to know if anyone has any pictures or info on the various buckshot sizes used relating to their patterns. I shot my first deer at age 7 with a 410 side by side using triple ought. I am curious to know if the double ought or even #1 or #4 throws a decent pattern and at what distance. I got this gun for my personal rabbit hunting.. but I also have two young daughters that I would love for them to use this for their first deer in a few years.

PS. if I find other threads pertaining to this, I may cross post it.

I didn't know too much about Mossberg shotguns to start with. I'd seen one in the early 1970s that my cousin had but didn't think too much about it. Seems like his had a ventilated rib and some scroll work on the receiver. Over the years after that, I didn't hear too much about 500s except that they were cheap and flimsy and would jam on you. Around 1995, I finally got around to trying one out because it was affordable and looked pretty good to be so inexpensive...like a big fat version of an old Winchester Model 12. I liked the way it handled and the fact that it took choke tubes, so I got it. To make a long story short, it turned out to be a really good gun. I took it hunting all over my state and shot doves, ducks, and lots of squirrels with it. The trigger pull was so good that I could take foster slugs and hit a pie plate at 75 yards with it with the 28 inch bird barrel it came with. It didn't hang up with anything I fed it, even aluminum-base cheapo shotshells. Recoil wasn't too bad even with 3 inch turkey loads. it was a light, comfortable gun to carry out in the woods. The only thing I didn't care for on that gun was that the slide handle really rattled a lot, but I kept it down with a rubber band. I felt like I could shoot that 500 well but I just "had to have" something else so I traded it in. That was one great shotgun. Don't ever put a Mossberg down. They really are "more gun for the money".

Back