• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Hey guys, hope to fix this myself before I have to hunt down a smith.
I had my action completely locking on trigger pull I fixed this with a full tear down it seems like a pin was loose and out of place in my trigger group.

Now that I am back to "normal" I just yesterday found out I was never normal I still have an issue.

If pulling back on the action (dry or live fire) the friction created on the action release prevents the action release from fully depressing and thus leaves my action locked.
I have to stop applying rearward pressure on the action to release the friction, and then the release fully depresses and I can move the action back to cycle.

This only happens on trigger pull, no problem applying pressure and pressing the action release by hand.

I have been shooting and changed my technique to compensate by pulling forward on the action until after trigger pull, then cycling. But this is probably teaching me bad habits and slowing me down.

I would assume this is easy to fix, but I have no idea what it is nor what to do.

I'd turn the gun over and watch the mechanism as you cycle the gun. My first thought is your shell lifter. Is it properly seated and rotating correctly as you cycle the gun. Assume you've checked your cartridge stop and extractor?

Regards

I'd turn the gun over and watch the mechanism as you cycle the gun. My first thought is your shell lifter. Is it properly seated and rotating correctly as you cycle the gun. Assume you've checked your cartridge stop and extractor?

Regards

I looked them over. I figured the problem had to be in the trigger group as the action release lever is where the issue seems to be.
I can put ever so slightly a bit of pressure on it and the action release will fully depress and the action will cycle.

If I put no rearward pressure on the action when I pull the trigger then there are no issues.

I just got a used trigger group today thinking that it would solve the issue (since I had issues before with my trigger locking the action I took it 100% apart to the last spring and found a pin had fallen loose) and the new trigger did not fix the issue.
So it must be in another part, all of them look fine to me and I am not sure what other parts would interact in such a manner with the action and its release.

Edit: Took out the shell lifter and both extractors. Still same issue even with those parts missing. So all that is left is basically the action arms, the bolt, and the chamber.

Last edited:
Vicious, take a look at the video link below that illustrates the 500 firing mechanism. It shows the mechanical differences in the action bar sequence between one, pushing the action release during lockup and two, firing the weapon. Given your description, vice not being able to actually see the gun, I suspect your problem is related to one of the release springs and/or the release pivot pin.

This is a good but lengthy video of the 500's action mechanism which you can pause to study.

Please let us know what you find and share how you fixed it.

Regards

I would check the bolt and bolt lock. Sounds like it's not going into lock position until you give it that little push forward.
Keep us posted.

Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your Mossberg 500 pump action; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

Thanks for letting me join! I have a Mossberg 500 c that jams when cycling the shell into the barrel. The crimped end of the shell is hitting against the barrel not allowing the shell to enter the barrel. I totally disassembled the gun and thoroughly cleaned the gun and polished all the parts with metal polish and a cloth buffer wheel but it still jams. Dose anyone have any experience with this issue or any suggestions on how to fix it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Bob

Thanks for letting me join! I have a Mossberg 500 c that jams when cycling the shell into the barrel. The crimped end of the shell is hitting against the barrel not allowing the shell to enter the barrel. I totally disassembled the gun and thoroughly cleaned the gun and polished all the parts with metal polish and a cloth buffer wheel but it still jams. Dose anyone have any experience with this issue or any suggestions on how to fix it? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Bob

Bob, would be helpful to us if you could post a picture or atleast explain in detail where the shell is impacting the chamber. I'm assuming it's hitting either high or low? If so, might be a lifter issue. Have you changed any parts?

More info please.

Regards

Back