• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Stuck Action Lock Lever

And you cleaned it thoroughly from the box...ALL the heavy anti rust coating from the factory ?

No, not yet. I can't imagine the coating could make it stick like this. It seems like a mechanical situation.

You may be right but I have never heard of that. It is just a simple mechanism, flat metal with a pivot point that can be easily gummed up buy the cosmoline or whatever the anti rust coating is that OSM uses. It gets in every nook and since you have been cycling the action you just worked it in some more. It is the place to at least start to try to figure out your problem, so get the manual and tear it down as far as you can, clean and lube every part you can reach. This stuff they dip the guns in is not lube and is gummy. Clean it good and report back here with the results, if it works awesome if not we will go from there

I'm inclined to agree. Breaking the gun down completely is where I would start. That will also give you acces to the action release in the trigger group and maybe see whats goin on. If that doesnt work, Talk to MRS. Edna!

Got it ! Definitely mechanical - BUT - Does the same problem/scenario exist ? --- What happened was when I racked the slide (empty) then pull the trigger, the action lock lever gets stuck in the depressed mode. To fix, I removed the trigger housing and repositioned the ( I think ) hammer rearward then the action lock lever was reset to the normal position. Reassembled and loaded with snap caps and went through several cycles with everything functioning fine. HOWEVER, I recreated the same scenario - racking the slide (empty) then pulling the trigger and again the action lock lever got stuck. Is this normal ?

Ok, yes it is normal. Now I am clear. If it didn’t do that you would have to depress the lock before every shot. It is designed to do that after you pull the trigger so you can cycle the action. The lock is on only when the hammer is cocked …make since now ? What I am not getting is it should be doing it even with the snap caps

just to make sure, can you cycle the action after you pull the trigger ? If so look at the lever it should be out again

Yes, I can cycle after pulling the trigger as long as there's another snap cap in place BUT if I cycle w/o the snap cap and pull the trigger then the lever gets stuck. Doesn't seem right if you're in the field and you accidentally cycle without any ammo and pull the trigger (stuff happens) that this would happen BUT if it's normal then I could live with it. Thanks

At the expense of redundancy, I'm going to try saying this in my own words to make sure I understand.

Without pulling the trigger, you can cycle the action by depressing the action slide release. However, pulling the triger (with or without snap caps) enables the action to be cycled without depressing the action slide release?

If the case is as described, then that would be a normally functioning Mossberg. It isnt that the action slide release is stuck in the depressed position, its just doin its thing as part of the normal cycle of loading a shell to the chamber, firing, then clearing the chamber.

Cool? If thats what its doin, youre good to go! ;) Otherwise, by all means, let me know if I got it wrong and we'll see if we cant get it flingered out yet! :D

go shoot your gun and it wil become clear why it functions the way it does.....

OK, The only time the action lever gets "stuck" depressed is when I pull the trigger with NOTHING in the gun-No snap caps at all. With snap caps everything is fine and it cycles like normal. Without snap caps I cycle the action(press the action lever and pull the forearm back and forth) then pull the trigger and that's when the action lock lever "stays" depressed. --I'll admit I'm a shotgun noob but this just doesn't seem right. And yes I'll be getting out hopefully soon to try it out . Thanks

macdragster said:
OK, The only time the action lever gets "stuck" depressed is when I pull the trigger with NOTHING in the gun-No snap caps at all.
Normal function
macdragster said:
With snap caps everything is fine and it cycles like normal.
So when you press the trigger on the snap cap the action release does not recede at all it just stays out?
It should disengage the action lock as soon as you pull the trigger regardless.
macdragster said:
Without snap caps I cycle the action(press the action lever and pull the forearm back and forth) then pull the trigger and that's when the action lock lever "stays" depressed. out .
Normal function.

Everything sounds normal I just keep getting hung up when you bring the snap caps into the equation. It should function the same empty, or loaded with whatever shell you can fit in there. I have never used snap caps so I don’t know if it is something about those.

Bottom line is what you are describing while the gun is empty is normal. Do you think the action lever should be depressed with every chambering of the shell? In the field with one in the chamber it is all locked up. You see a duck, flip off the safety and shoot but you miss, you will be able to instantly cycle the action for the follow up. As long as you press the trigger it is ready for the follow up. If you don’t press the trigger the action remains locked until you either pull the trigger or depress the action lock. When a shell is in the chamber and the action is locked up the hammer is cocked and ready to fire so don’t forget to use the safety.

Stuck Action Lock Lever

Oli, You say it should function the same empty or loaded. ***With a snap cap in place I rack the slide and pull the trigger-The action lever depresses and stays depressed until I rack the slide again at which point the action lever resets to the normal position. So far so good. Now, let's say I'm in the field and lose count as to how many shots have been taken and rack the slide again thinking there's another round in the chamber. I pull the trigger and instead of bang it goes click*** At this point the action lever will be in the depressed state and can not be reset unless I take the whole damn thing apart again ! This has been my problem (?). As long as there's something in the chamber everything's fine but if nothing's in the chamber, pulling the trigger will cause the action lever to stay depressed with no way (that I see) of resetting it.

macdragster said:
Now, let's say I'm in the field and lose count as to how many shots have been taken and rack the slide again thinking there's another round in the chamber. I pull the trigger and instead of bang it goes click*** .
Alright at this point you should be able to cycle the action and it will reset ...do you mean round in the chamber or mag tube?

This is how troubleshooting goes so don’t get discouraged. Lets figure this out ,with every post It clears up a little.

Well, If a round was in the magazine and I cycled the action, the round would go the the chamber, I pull the trigger and bang. Cycle the action again with nothing in the magazine or chamber AND pull the trigger is when the action lock lever stays depressed with no way of resetting it. I'm sure if I go to the range and load it up with ammo it will fire like it should but it won't after the last round is done if I cycle and pull the trigger if it's empty.

macdragster said:
Cycle the action again with nothing in the magazine or chamber AND pull the trigger is when the action lock lever stays depressed with no way of resetting it..
At this point are you able to cycle the action again? We are close. At this point you should be able to cycle the action resetting the action lock.

Right now get your empty gun and cycle the action, the lock should be set out.

Now pull the trigger and watch the lock depress its self.

This is the spot where you have some trouble.

Cycle the action once more while watching the lock. As soon as you are done pushing the forend up you should see the action lock come back out and reset.

This is the problem - the forend locks up after pulling the trigger and will not move. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THERE IS NOTHING IN THE GUN AT ALL AND I PULL THE TRIGGER. I can keep cycling many times with the gun empty- hitting the action lock lever each time no problem BUT after doing so I pull the trigger THEN that's when the lever stays depressed.

UPDATE, Just got off the phone with Mossberg and they don't think anything is damaged and say I should definitely NOT dry fire but put some ammo in and shoot it which should overcome that lock-up problem-Hmmm,Hope they're right-should get out next week. Thanks for everyones help !

macdragster said:
UPDATE, Just got off the phone with Mossberg and they don't think anything is damaged and say I should definitely NOT dry fire but put some ammo in and shoot it
Call them back and ask them why on page 13 of the owners manual they instruct you to dry fire it after assembly......OK glad they made you feel better.

New Update - This makes me feel even better. Found this on downloadweb.org . ***All I had to do was press and HOLD the trigger which releases the action so it could cycle. So simple but Mossberg doesn't tell you this on pg 13 .

TM 9-1005-338-13&P 0017 00 FUNCTION CHECK A safety/function check should be performed anytime the shotgun is reassembled.This check will indicate whether the shotgun has been properly assembled. A properly executed safety/function check can also reveal many obvious malfunctions that can occur. WARNING Before starting an inspection, be sure to clear the weapon.Do not actuate the trigger until the weapon has been cleared.Inspect the chamber to be sure that it is empty, and check to see that there are no obstructions in the barrel.
Clear the shotgun (WP 0004 00).
Move the safety rearward to the “SAFE” position.
Close the action fully.The action lock should be fully down.
Pull the trigger; the hammer should NOT fall.
Move the safety forward to the “FIRE” position.
Pull the trigger; hammer should fall and the lock lever should be fully up.
Hold trigger to the rear; recock the weapon by moving the forearm fully to the rear and then forward.
Release the trigger; hammer should NOT fall and trigger should return to it forward position.
Pull trigger; hammer should fall and the lock lever should be fully up
Release trigger and recock the weapon by moving the forearm fully to the rear and then forward.The
hammer should NOT fall. Move the safety rearward to the “SAFE” position

Back