• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Series Safety Thread

Re: another 500 safety problem

It sounds like you may have assembled the safety block in the receiver, backwards. Take it back apart and turn it 180 degrees and see if it functions properly.

Thanks. I have it installed with the open part of the block to front of gun. I even tried it backwards. Oh well, it must be the button but mine really doesn't look bad except its plastic. Confusing!

"When back as far as I can get it, (half of the red dot is exposed)"

Maybe you are missing the detent plate? I am really stumped on this without actually seeing it!
The ball should ride between the 2 end holes. The detent plate can be installed either way.

p_080000564_1.jpg

LTB, Thanks for your help. New metal button and screw came today and it appears to be working properly. Saved a few bucks and learned something. Thanks again for your input.
jcc

Good to hear! :D
Always glad to try and help a fellow shooter! :cool:

There are a couple of ways to do this. You do not have to remove the FCG, and you want the bolt all the way to the rear, not halfway. That prevents the safety from falling down into the receiver.
The simplest is to put the shotgun in a padded vise, and use a good gunsmith driver with a sharp edge and simply bear down while you back the screw out. This doesn't always work. The center punch method helps if you have resistence sometimes. You can also tap the back of the driver with a hammer.
The next way is to put the shotgun in a vise, mask the receiver with heavy tape, and cut a slot in the existing screw head with a cutoff wheel on a Dremel. You can then back the screw out normally. If you do this make sure you have a replacement screw for the safety as it will destroy the one that is in there. If you bought the kit from Brownell's, it will have one.
Also, make sure you have the safety in the "ON" position to the rear with the bolt to the rear as well. This will keep the mechanism inside the reciever from falling out. Once you have the safety slider off, you can use a small amount of grease in the detent on the receiver to keep the ball from falling out.
Even with the metal safety sliders, it is a good idea to use the flat bearing plates under the safety slider. It will help minimize wear on the slider.
You may want to use some LocTite on the safety screw as well to make sure it doesn't back out. If you don't, just check it occassionally to make sure it stays tight.
If you get the BB stuck in the detent, good luck. I've heard all kinds of fixes for that, and there doesn't seem to be a universal fix for that. Cooling, heating, Dremeling, puch, gouge,everything's been tried.
Replacing the safety should take a few minutes, and no disassembly outside of the safety screw and slider. That somebody would charge $80 is outrageous.

Granted, this method may not be the best by any means... But, if you're putting on a different safety and don't wish to save the old one... You can use a thin flat head screwdriver to pry up on the button and break it in half then use pliers on the screw... That's only if everything else has gone fubar of course. But it worked great for me!

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but, I was thinking about the problem of getting the detent ball stuck in red painted area. Would using a magnet work to pick the BB up? If I had thought of this when I replaced mine I would have tried it. Luckly, mine went smooth.

just a thought.

any experience/input here from mossberg 500/590 owners with the hahn safety rail installed?

i seem to like this integrated safety design...

havoc21 said:
any experience/input here from mossberg 500/590 owners with the hahn safety rail installed?

I can't find any reference to the Hahn Safety Rail here on MO. Not much online elsewhere either. Strange that it has been out for so long and nothing really to go on...

OhioArcher said:
havoc21 said:

I can't find any reference to the Hahn Safety Rail here on MO. Not much online elsewhere either. Strange that it has been out for so long and nothing really to go on...

As i suspected, i thought i saw something on the hahn precision safety rail a few months ago here.... :D

borrowed Itsironworkers pictures for reference of everyone;

file.php

file.php

his thread where i saw it, although he was discussing his fiber optic sight, not the safety rail-

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7086&p=96897&hilit=hahn#p96897

i think this is a very good sleek and streamlined setup, integrating the rail to an oversized safety..wish users of this product could give us more feedback...

That button can be installed both ways, right? Front to back, I mean. Why'd you choose to put yours in in that direction? It seems like it would work better reversed. I've never touched one but it just seems to be sort of reversed obvious.

That button can be installed both ways, right? Front to back, I mean. Why'd you choose to put yours in in that direction? It seems like it would work better reversed. I've never touched one but it just seems to be sort of reversed obvious.
I have big hands and would have to bend my thumb too much to get it behind the hump the other way. Besides, my way lets you put more of your thumb actually on the safety so you are pushing and pulling it rather than just pushing it. Without that hump, it is ergonomically the same as any other Mossberg safety. You can still activate it from the front if you wish and the hump acts as sort of a "handstop" to keep your thumb from overshooting it. Other way seems wrong to me. Each their own.

Last edited:
Regarding installation of the Promag safety.
I ordered 3 of these safeties. I'm no gun smith but I'm pretty handy so I wasn't afraid of doing the job myself.
First step is to make sure the gun is unloaded. Put the gun on a proper gun maintenance rig if you have one.
Next open the action all the way and leave open during this procedure. This will prevent the safety block from falling out of position during the safety screw removal.
I used a regular good quality and appropriately sized flat head screw driver with some significant down force to get the factory one way screw to turn. Be sure to keep a steady pressure on the safety switch with one or two fingers during screw removal so the spring and ball bearing don't go flyin. When the screw is removed slowly release the pressure on the switch and voilà the safety lifts off and associated parts are there. Swap the thin base plate onto the new safety oriented the same way as it came off the old safety and reinstall in reverse. You can reuse the factory screw but I'd replace it with something more user friendly. Lots of good cheap options on Ebay.
All 3 shotguns took me maybe 20 - 30 minutes to do.
In my opinion this is one of the best upgrades you can do on the Mossberg 500 or 590 regardless of what type of aftermarket safety suits your needs.

Last edited:
I have big hands and would have to bend my thumb too much to get it behind the hump the other way. Besides, my way lets you put more of your thumb actually on the safety so you are pushing and pulling it rather than just pushing it. Without that hump, it is ergonomically the same as any other Mossberg safety. You can still activate it from the front if you wish and the hump acts as sort of a "handstop" to keep your thumb from overshooting it. Other way seems wrong to me. Each their own.

That sounds logical. The longer side back. Makes sense. I think everyone of them I've evewr seen was on that way, I just wondered if there was a real reason. Makes sense.

Back