• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 + TL-Racker + sling?

Razzle

I just picked up an inexpensive, used 500 with the 18.5" barrel. I want to add a Streamlight TL-Racker to it, but I also want to add a sling. Will the sling interfere with the performance of the light? Or will I need to add something to it to attach the sling and keep it out of the path of the light beam? Thanks in advance for any help.

Raz, the other thing you might try to lessen the impact if you still plan to use a Racker is using a length of 550 cord between the original front sling mount and the end of the sling. That would get the sling itself out of the way and if you typically use a tight sling when firing the 550 cord will actually be pulled up and away from the light beam.

Some folks like the racker while others don't. If you haven't made a firm decision you might want to read some reviews before investing.

Congrats on finding the "new to you" 500!

Regards

Thanks guys. I've already got a Racker on my Shockwave and love it. It's just a matter of getting the correct grip before shooting. I've managed to do that with the Shockwave, and I think I can do it with the 500. I've already bought some goodies from Defender Tactical and a TactaLoad stock for it. I'm sure I'll pick up a 28/30" barrel so I can hunt with it as well.

John A: I like the first item you linked, but I won't be using an extended mag tube. If I can find something like that but for a standard tube, that's what I want.

Ernst: I'm interested in the solution you mentioned. Got any links to this? I'd just like to see how it looks and works before I make a decision.

Thanks to both of you for the ideas.

Raz, don't have a picture handy of a shotgun application but here's one on a battle rifle. The concept is exactly the same whether the attachment point is under the barrel or to the side and you can make the loop to whatever length you want.

We used this arrangement on battle rifles and shotgun for years to make them completely silent while carring and as I said earlier if you keep your sling tight across your upper forearm while shooting the length of paracord will essentially be parallel to the ground and away from the light source.

The price is right and you coud try it to see if it fits your needs. If your sling doesn't have a hook you can run the paracord through the sling end loop before tying.

Good luck

762 sling2.jpg

John A: I like the first item you linked, but I won't be using an extended mag tube. If I can find something like that but for a standard tube, that's what I want.

I don't believe that you would have to use it on an extended tube unless I'm thinking incorrectly from my 500. There should be enough of a gap between the front of the handguard to the barrel lug to put the sling mount.

Back