• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Forends

You can add the Command Arms MR-500 to the list of forends that will work with the 590A1. Despite being told by two different parties that it wouldn't, I slapped it on without any modification and it's worked great with about 50 rounds put thru it with no noticeable barrel rubbing or excessive play.

Attachments

• 20140703_102434.jpg
    20140703_102434.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 40
Hey guys , can anyone tell me if a 20g wood forend will fit my 12g 590A1 Mariner? I recently picked up a brand new 500 factory wood stock and trying to find a matching wood forend, Havlin has one for a 20g say it fits 7-5/8" action tube which is what my mariner has with synthetic forend. Here's a couple pics:
6637abdb8cf9d40634daf333e6429621.jpg
105fcbe87026f576873e089a0cfb6122.jpg
3d618b41e241baf56006dddc82674467.jpg
7f42dbb97107f4784e748ab0bbec563e.jpg

Sent from my iCook iClean iWork!

Last edited:
Yeah I checked out Numrich but their website is kinda vague with generic pictures in all the descriptions not sure what I'm looking at, BTW what is rat tail ?

, BTW what is rat tail ?

The rat tail is an older version of the current ribbed forend...

Top: Ribbed / Bottom: Rat Tail

- The ribbed forends have deeper grooves with more pronounced channels that wrap around the bottom from one side of the forend to the other.

- The rat tail forends have shallow grooves with less separation that do not wrap around the bottom.

To mossy's point, the terms ribbed, rat tail, corn cobb, police, etc. have all been used to describe the forend pictured at the top of the photo...

Oh, and @Gronk I'd give Havlin a call.

If you click the "Modern Shotgun Stocks" link on their main page they show the ribbed 12 gauge forend with the description below...

12ga long action RIBBED wood forearm, MILSPEC birch fits action slide 7-5/8". No matching stock
ITEM: WOODRIB12 $18

The rat tail is an older version of the current ribbed forend...

Top: Ribbed / Bottom: Rat Tail

- The ribbed forends have deeper grooves with more pronounced channels that wrap around the bottom from one side of the forend to the other.

- The rat tail forends have shallow grooves with less separation that do not wrap around the bottom.

To mossy's point, the terms ribbed, rat tail, corn cobb, police, etc. have all been used to describe the forend pictured at the top of the photo...

Based on the images on Numrich site they show the opposite in their listings for rat tail vs ribbed, that's why I asked LOL!
I would prefer a wood piece similar to my original synthetic forend which looks more like the ribbed based on your description, thanks.

Just realized the wood stock I got on eBay had no swivel stud. Can I use my stock marine swivel stud and mount it on the wood stock or are they different threads etc .

As long as the threads look like this you should be ok. Drill a pilot hole first.

swivel stud 2.jpg

Man I almost hate to drill into this brand new piece of wood, LOL!

I did contact Havlin about the ribbed forend and waiting for response
bea9061433ff135e2ac3faa7e133da11.jpg

I have a Mossberg 590a1 with a Mapul MOE forend and thinking about installing the Tacstar Sidesaddle.
Has anyone ever had problems with the sidesaddle and forend hitting when the forend is cycled (pumped) into the rear position?
If anyone has any photos that be great to see. Any help would be awesome.

I have a Mossberg 590a1 with a Mapul MOE forend and thinking about installing the Tacstar Sidesaddle.
Has anyone ever had problems with the sidesaddle and forend hitting when the forend is cycled (pumped) into the rear position?
If anyone has any photos that be great to see. Any help would be awesome.

I can't say for this exact combination. What I can speak to is that the combination of the side saddle with a sporting/sporterized forend that overlaps the receiver somewhat is where problems occur and the thing where two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time.

I'd have to look at some pics of that forend to see if it overlaps.

The pic is kinda grainy, but it looks to me like one of the Velcro side saddles.

Back