• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Forends

Valkyrie

Copper BB
I just purchased a 590 A1 20" barrel and I want to mount a flashlight. Are there any recomendations? I believe the flashlight would have to be pretty tough to take the recoil, but I am not sure. As you can probably tell this shotgun thing is new to me.
Thanks

Re: Mounting a flashlight

Valkyrie! Good to have you here!

I also have the 590A1 20" bbl. CDM, one of our forum vendors makes mounts for lights. I have thhe CDM MT clamp on my 590, great fit and easy to install. The allen wrench required is packaged with the mount. CDM has a new clamp coming out for the 590A1 which will be the BMT (Barrel and Mag Tube) clamp. I dont know when it will be available though. The MT I am using has a 3 slot rail on one side and sling swivel on the other. An inexpensive and highly recommended light by Scott of CDM is the Streamlight PolyTac. It can sometimes be found for $40 or less.

Here are a couple pics of the MT clamp on my 590A1;

This is the 3 slot rail where a light can be mounted.
39427_1457625115689_1085205913_31080812_1543341_n.jpg

And the sling swivel on the other.
62945_1457624875683_1085205913_31080811_5755644_n.jpg

Heres the link to CDM and the mounts available;
http://www.cdmgear.com/
and specifically the MT clamp;
http://www.cdmgear.com/mtclamp.html

Hope you find this helpful!

Brad.

If you aren't going to go with a SF weaponlight make sure you use an LED. Incan lamps can burst under recoil if you don't have a shock-isolated head.

farrellsm77 said:
I saw that the new 590a1's are coming with Mako's pic rail forends!!!

True dat!

These will be available on some models.
PR-MO-2.jpg

Have a Mako Forend on the way!

I saw in the 2011 Mossberg Catalog that some new 590A1's are coming with the FAB Railed Forend. I ordered one (distributed by Mako) and will let everyone know my impressions upon receipt and installation.

Re: Have a Mako Forend on the way!

Excellent, keep us updated! I got to check it out while at the SHOT show and thought it was a great addition to the Mossberg lineup.

Got the update, it will be here on the Mar 22. So, now all I need is a light mount.

I'm really interested to know how this works for you!

I belive the TLR should mount right to the forend!

I bought a Mako forend last summer. It's okay, I replaced it with a Surefire I got a smoking deal on.

I mounted a light on the Mako, but there is no flat spot for the pressure switch (the whole forend is ribbed). I took a wood rasp and made a spot and velcroed the switch on. I emailed them a suggestion to put flats on each side.

I looked at a Surefire, all the ones I saw said they won't work with a 590A1 due to the bayonet lug.

farrellsm77 said:
I looked at a Surefire, all the ones I saw said they won't work with a 590A1 due to the bayonet lug.

I talked to Surefire about the M70 tri-rail forend vs the lighted forend. Tech says the lighted forend, Nooooo. The tri-rail should work. The tech guy said they havent had the tri-rail come back becuase it wouldnt fit and no complaints.

I pressed them for more info in the same manner I did with Ergo, but their marketing dept has yet to take my calls or return my messages.

Alright! received my forend in the mail today! Installation was a bit tricky. Actually, removal of the stock forend was a bit of a pain. But, our old friend YouTube comes through again! I found a video that showed me how to remove the stock piece. The new piece simply slipped on, tighten the nut and reassemble.

I am happy with the forend. I was worried that the rails on the bottom were gonna be real rough. But they are not and provide a nice firm grip. Since I am a lefty, I mounted my Pelican M6 LED light on the right side with a Viking Tactical light mount. I like this mount a lot! It is made from polymer so it will not screw up my light! The only downside is that I had to mount the light above the side rail piece. There was not enough clearance under the rail to mount it below. Oh well... After final assembly I ran though some dry fire drills and found the light in a comfortable position to activate with my right thumb.

Overall, for about $80 (forend plus light mount) I am now able to mount a white light on my 590A1.

Shotgun_a.jpg

Shotgun.jpg

Shotgun_b.jpg

Shotgun_c.jpg

Next up, replacing the cheap plastic side saddle with a Mesa Tactical Aluminum saddle!

That came out great! I look forward to seeing the Mesa Tactical side saddle installed.

Man, That was fast! Looks good, and now you got me watching for the side saddle!

That is supposed to arrive on Monday. The shipping was really fast on this item! I ordered from Amazon and shipped from a company in NJ. So, short shipping time from NJ to NC.

590a1 forend tube length?

I was wondering how long the forend tube length is on the 590a1 because I'm thinking of putting the old wood furniture on it. I know, blasphemy right?!

Re: 590a1 forend tube length?

I dont think its blasphemy at all and in fact I believe it will look great!!!

I think its the 7 1/4" or 7 5/8". I know it isnt the 6" and change or whatever it is, its the longer one which is 7 something...

Back