• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Heat Shields

Re: Purpose of a Heat-shield on a shotgun?

oli700 said:
Never thought of this before last weekend….it doubles as a skid plate

IMG_0351.jpg

Alb'danged! Hadnt considered that at all!

Oli did you drop it?

I was hiking down a rock out cropping to Butte Cr. accompanying some friends fishing and I got my ass handed to me on some mossy rocks....it was on my back so it probably saved me a bruise too :lol:
It made a bad noise and my buddies were like “there goes your fancy sight” …and it got hit too but barely took some bluing, I said “that’s why I got the sight protector you loosers” , and I promptly nailed a 2x2 rock about 60 yards across the river :cool:

aimpro heatshield question

Hey guys, I'm getting the 18.5 bead sighted 590a1 and I really like the heatshields that aimpro makes for the heavy barrel. I know that it won't move back and forth because it basically hugs two points which are where the receiver is and the lug ( or whatever you would call it) on the barrel. My question is, I'm going to be taking a shotgun class and was wondering if the heatshield is going to fail me after very long, hard days of throwing hundreds of rounds downrange? Aimpro makes them to the same specs as Mossberg and are practically the same except that it fits the heavy barrel. I'm torn between function over form and that thought of " gosh darn that things looks COOL!" I would think that if the Mossberg heatshields failed all the time they wouldn't send them with their shotguns from the factory (590 special purpose) What do you guys think, I'd like to hear your experiences with using these heatshields. I'd like to know before I drop almost 60 bucks on one.

Re: aimpro heatshield question

I've had my heatshield on my 18.5" 590A1 for almost a year now and hundreds of rounds through it and it's never given me any trouble so you should be fine..

I agree with Dave. I dont have a heatshield, but they are very much for function, and AIMPRO makes them to military standards. Infact if the heatshields werent functional and heavy duty, AIMPRO wouldnt make them at all, they dont make anything for show.

You certainly aren't gonna be disapointed in the quality!

Re: Heatshield w/ heavy walled barrel?

Aloha
Quick question, im saving up to get a 500 cruiser. and i hear its kind of a mix n match. its a 500 but its got the 590 barrel. is the barrel on the cruiser(54125) the heavy walled one or is that only on the A1?
And about interchangeability, since the 500 cruiser has the 590 barrel and mag tube that means my barrels and such would be interchangeable with a 590 or 590a1 if i got another at some point or scored parts.

They may be interchangable, but depending on the model, I would wonder why you would want to do so unless you are wanting to put the breacher on a shotgun with a stock.

Side by side they both bring a different play to the game. My model 59693 shown, not that I am partial. :cool:

54125.jpg

53693.jpg

That heavy barrel will only be on the A1 models.

The magazine tubes are the same from the 590 to the 590A1, its just the barrel wall... so interchangability shouldnt be an issue.

Let us know how the shotgun class works out for you... would be good to know for those of us thinking of taking one

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1885

Here is a thread I did a while back about the heat shield install I did on my shotty. The spacer they include with the shield (if cut right) will keep the shield from giving you any issues or play. It is bolted on with locknuts so the hardware will hold up. I check mine from time to time just to be sure.

So far I have been VERY happy with it.

Heat shield on 590A1

What secures the rear of the heat shield to the barrel? What is the difference between the 18.5 and the 20 in barrel heat shield? Are they interchangeable?

Re: Heat shield on 590A1

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum jsmith2002 !!

What secures the rear of the heat shield to the barrel?...a mounting bracket ( black plastic shim ) and allen retention screws.

What is the difference between the 18.5 and the 20 in barrel heat shield?...about 1.5 inches ;)

Are they interchangeable?...I believe you require a heat shield for a 590a1, as the regular one does not fit the heavy walled barrel of your 590a1. ATI, a vendor on this site may have them in stock...linked below.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/

I know Aimpro has the A1 HS , if its in stock I dont know

On my heat shield there are tabs that hold the shield to the barrel. I bent them some to make for a tighter fit. The far end was secured by a bolt but I cut off that end and use the top plate on a tri-rail to hold down that end. It fits snug. Most any heat shield will require some fine tuning to make it fit correctly. On mine, I had to grind out the fore-end a little to keep it from dragging on the tabs.

The 590 has a heavy walled barrel so make sure you find a shield that is designed to fit it. The standard 500 shield will not fit without some modification. Aimpro is where i got mine, check my thread it their part of my forum here for my writeup. well worth it.

AIMPRO Tactical Heat Shield for 20"

FWIW guys, called AIMPRO this morning. Of course they were buck-wild busy. They called me back and said it will be 2-3 weeks until they get some more heat shields for us 20" 590A1 folks. Just passing it all. Cheers.

Matt

Back