• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Heat Shields

Re: Purpose of a Heat-shield on a shotgun?

oli700 said:
That is unfortunate.First off I hear what you’re saying but I believe that is a battle worth fighting. Black gun, purple gun, bayonet, ribbed hunting barrel, pistol grip, Monty Carlo stock the end results the same. If you have all your ducks in a row, acting as a responsible citizen and shoot someone in self defense with a black gun you will be far better off then shooting someone with a 6’ long goose gun and being even slightly in the wrong. I think as our rights slip away as free Americans it is important to exercise our rights. I refuse to be scared off from doing what’s in my rights just because it might ruffle some feathers.

I agree with everything you said... I'm just not willing to personally fight that battle over accessories that may not be necessary. I am totally willing to fight it over my "as short as legally possible" barrel, no plug in the gun, loaded with Self Defense/LE/Military grade ammo. But that short-ass barrel will have bead sight on it, and I've got pictures of me smashing clays with it at the gun at the club ;) I'm all ready with the "What? This old thing? Went 25 for 25 two weeks ago! I was nervous as hell when I reached into my vest pocket and only had one shell left, I can tell you that! Oh him? Yeah... I don't think he's going to make it..." :twisted:

I got ya bro, I will fight for your right to keep your gun as plain as you want as well. It’s not the accessories or lack of, it’s all about the choice. The battle I refer to is the one for choice.

Re: Heatshield w/ heavy walled barrel?

I just got my response back.

"Thanks for your inquiry.

We are currently backordered on the correct part for that barrel, PN 16335 P

We have an order in and hope to see them in the next 3-6 weeks.

If you would like to place a back order, please call our office or check back with us in a few weeks to see if they have come in.

They are $72, plus shipping."

Well given that the gun is still only on order and the price was steeper than I had hoped. I can wait to see if I still want it after that timeframe. Now to go look into a bayonet. *evil grin*

yeah, its long been a debate over the look and purpose of a firearm in an HD shooting... I can understand both sides and it kinda falls into the thread posted about Can our Mossbergs become Illegal based on the look, because it looks like it could kill a human, as if that is its sole purpose, rather than the parenthetical "6' long goose gun".

I do what I want with my guns. I like to dress them up, or down... I like to test new products, and for me it seriously has nothing to do designing a better way to kill a man. Nor do I think its like that for any of you. I just want to make it mine, and unique in some regards, and to my personal preferences.

To me thats what its all about, and I would expect the situation to be like wise for any other responsible gun owner. We sometimes have to conform to range rules and the like, and I can certainly understand keeping up appearances. I liken it to having a few tattoos and wanting more but not getting all sleeved out because you work in an office enviroment or something similar.

It is unfortunate that appearances still sometimes shape the first impressions of onlookers more than anything else. Even if its 12 of our unbiased peers.

Well, the way I look at it is if I use any weapon to defend myself the weapon choice will be the least of my concern. Then again, in Oklahoma we have a Make my Day law, and a Castle law that was designed for the protection of the owner/renter.

Now, I do understand the idea and concept of low key, and I do have certain weapons that are that but hey anything can be considered a weapon like a can of soup.

Welcome from florida- the "gunshine" state!
We don't call 911!

I think that says it all. What my gun looks like is going to be the least of anyone who enters uninvited problem.

ladytech777 said:
Welcome from florida- the "gunshine" state!
We don't call 911!

I think that says it all. What my gun looks like is going to be the least of anyone who enters uninvited problem.

Kind of missing the point. The question is will it be a problem for you.

sumoj275 said:
I have not had a shotgun with a heat-shield. What is the reasoning behind the shield? I would think it would get hot too, and stuff/dirt up under it. Does the heat-shield help dissipate the heat? Please enlighten me.

Thanks

Heat shields are to protect you from the heated up barrel. They are also for design purposes. Most of the models that carry a heat shield are law enforcement or special purpose guns with thin walled barrels. Sometimes we forget how much we have been shooting our guns and may accidently grab the gun by the barrel and burn our hands. The heat shield is an extra protection. :cool:

To me its just one les thing to worry about when handling my gun.

ok..so let me get this straight.

if i have an "evil black gun" with the legal size barrel on, but also have attachments on it ( light ,scope, knife) then the law will be against me(or frown on me), because it "looks like i was expecting to kill"the BG with all the attachments? so law abidingly i should use a stock non black color shotty with nothing on it other than a bead sight and my wife with a spot light behind me?

sorry about the derail....

some people think red cars look like they are going faster and are a risk for more tickets, if thats what they think then more power to them,just dont tell me what color I should have. People have died so you can carry a gun in the color of you choice

i checked in on that red thought. it's true. they do "look" like they are going faster, but that's only because your eye has caught a glimpse of it. and it's mesmerizing.
stare into my car...look deeper....deeper...
POW
you just got pulled over.

side note (derail again)
i have a red truck. do the speed limit, have never been pulled over for them thinking i was speeding.
but i did stay at a holiday inn once....

I have a red truck with a black gun in it, sometimes two....fight the power

oli700 said:
I seriously heat my gun up sometimes. It only took once for me to grab it in the wrong spot to learn that lesson so I just took it out of the equation all together. If you could imagine a situation where you had to unleash a bunch of rounds, stress is high, you fumbling on the reload or grab your gun to move quick or whatever, just one less thing to burn yourself on. No real added weight …as far as looks, I don’t know or care ….really I’m more function over form type a guy. Some people never get their guns that hot.

now after reading that, i am now considering getting a heat sheild for my shotgun.

Just food for thought. You will always have naysayers. Shotgun chambers are so thin that they heat up quick….controversy they cool fairly quickly too.

ripjack13 said:
ok..so let me get this straight.

if i have an "evil black gun" with the legal size barrel on, but also have attachments on it ( light ,scope, knife) then the law will be against me(or frown on me), because it "looks like i was expecting to kill"the BG with all the attachments? so law abidingly i should use a stock non black color shotty with nothing on it other than a bead sight and my wife with a spot light behind me?

sorry about the derail....

Sadly this view point permeates the minds of antigun/anti 2nd ammendment legislators and lobbyists and is used like a lever or a hammer and wedge to pass legislation, or at least paint such a terrible picture through the prism of public opinion which is that these firearms are dedicated solely to killing. Therefore, a black gun with gadgetry is inheirantly and by design, deadly evil and doesn't belong in the hands of civies because we are by virtue of our lowliness incapable of self governance.

Talk about derailed... Sorry bout that.

I looked into heat shields for my Persuader when I first bought it, but after reading the reviews on some of them I concluded most are cheaply made, and some needed alterations to fit the gun. So I decided against putting one on. I did trick the gun out with a pic rail on the receiver, light in front of the forearm with a thumb switch, and a truglo to replace the bead, and between all that and the side saddle on the adjustable stock, include the single point bungee, and it seems like stuff is hanging off it everywhere. In fact it concerned me enough that my 590A1 is pure stock and that's the way it will stay.
And anyway, grabbing a hot barrel once in a while has a tendency to heighten one's senses and clear the head. :D

As to looks that kill? A good lawyer, which you will need anyway, will take care of that. Bottom line is my life is more important than what some ignorant [fill in the blank] thinks about how my gun looks.

JSDinTexas said:
And anyway, grabbing a hot barrel once in a while has a tendency to heighten one's senses and clear the head. :D
LOL, kinda puts that spring back in your step

Never thought of this before last weekend….it doubles as a skid plate

IMG_0351.jpg

Back