• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Mag Tubes: Extensions and Springs

Damn I feel like an idiot, I used a different brand new measuring tape and got 4.25 exactly. I need to call them asap as it was going to take awhile to make the custom one for me. Thanks for the head up.
So did you wver get a new extension?

So did you wver get a new extension?
Yeah I did get the 4.25 one and it stuck out just a bit past the barrel which was unexpected. So the 4 1/8 would have been flush. It doesn't really add that much to the barrel, I guess 1/8th so it's not a big deal. When I am loading the shells the 7th one is pretty tight so it is probably best I went with the 4.25".

I have been thinking ( Yes, once again :) ) about the magtube on my 590A1. Everything on the shotgun is pretty sturdy, but, the magtube seem so thin and fragile ? My brain worries it can be easily dented and screw everything up in a SHTF scenario. How likely.. or have it happened ? how much bad luck is required ? It feel like its room for a thicker magtube ? But they probably dont exist ?

Hi y’all,

Am super new Mossberg 590 owner and am trying to understand if my soon-to-be upgrade is correct or not: If I add +2 extended mag tube or even a breacher end, can those parts stick out further than the barrel/muzzle without getting blown off?

New to this forum and looking forward to learning more,

Ed

Hi y’all,

Am super new Mossberg 590 owner and am trying to understand if my soon-to-be upgrade is correct or not: If I add +2 extended mag tube or even a breacher end, can those parts stick out further than the barrel/muzzle without getting blown off?

New to this forum and looking forward to learning more,

Ed
Yes I’ve seen tube extensions stick out several inches past the barrel.

How doesn’t it get blasted off when you’re shooting?

It may get some fouling on it, but it's not going to be blown off.

Contrary to popular belief, it takes a shotgun wad about 15 yards (45 feet) out of the barrel before it starts spreading out in meaningful amounts. That is a lot farther than I could shoot in my house even if there weren't any walls in it.

The shot doesn't just automatically leave the barrel in a room size pattern. Which means if you bought it for home defense that you better learn how to hold and aim the gun because you have to.

Otherwise you're going to miss what you're aiming at altogether despite what you have heard and seen in the movies where a guy can take out a whole squad of enemies in a single shot. It just doesn't work that way.

I'm not bashing your question at all, so please do not think that I am. I respect you for asking the question because that's how you learn. Nothing shameful about that at all. I'm sure there is someone else out there asking the same question.

Edgriv, first and foremost, welcome to the forum.

Typically, most shotshell loads will expand at around one inch per yard from the end of the muzzle.

I'd recommend you pattern you're intended use loads at distances you might expect in your HD situation. Typically, 3, 5, and 7 yards. Then at 25 yards to see your maximum spread.

Just something to be aware of - most HD or close threat situations are resolved in a few seconds and typically with few shots fired. The most important ability it to get your weapon into action and aimed at the target. Capacity is generally not the issue. However, one must be careful to maintain the balance of the gun. Every ounce you add to the muzzle changes the balance point.

Regards

Back