• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Sparkey70

.22LR
Greetings,

I really want to purchase but cannot find if it is legal in Kansas to have.

If some one can help that would be great!

Appreciate the help!

Sparkey

I'm wondering if maybe supply just isn't available yet. No idea on the legality of it in your state.

It's legal according to federal law, but it is always best to contact your local sheriff's department directly and speak with them about the particulars in your area. This 590 configuration "technically" falls outside the scope of NFA classification and while it is perfectly legal, could very well put you in a position to have to prove it on the spot. A letter from your local sheriff's dept or chief LEO confirming legality in your area could come in very handy...

(5) selling, manufacturing, purchasing or possessing a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches in length, or any firearm designed to discharge or capable of discharging automatically more than once by a single function of the trigger, whether the person knows or has reason to know the length of the barrel or that the firearm is designed or capable of discharging automatically.

Well I guess you cannot sell this to Kansas..

Sparkey

Not necessarily.

This firearm is not classified as a shotgun. Strange as it seems, it falls outside the boundaries of current legal classification and therefore is not subject to regulations pertaining to shotguns, SBS, or AOWs. You won't find any laws on the books that apply to this firearm, because most people don't even know this particular "loophole" exists...

Interesting idea but by filling one niche it eliminates itself from another. if I am going short I want to be able to carry it. Being "not a pistol" classifies it as a std firearm and not carryable under a MI CPL. That excludes it from being carried loaded on ones person or vehicle. The really limits its utility in my eyes.

The mossberg website says it's "fully compliant by BATFE" but leaves out the class it's compliant as??

It's not shoulderable and it would be hell to shoot one handed..... so where does it leave it?
Hip fired is the logical solution.

Interesting idea but by filling one niche it eliminates itself from another. if I am going short I want to be able to carry it. Being "not a pistol" classifies it as a std firearm and not carryable under a MI CPL. That excludes it from being carried loaded on ones person or vehicle. The really limits its utility in my eyes.
But that makes it perfect for vehicle carry in Texas. Only handguns have to be concealed. Anything else can be in plain view. A handgun can only be visible if you have a license and it's being carried in a belt or shoulder holster.

Just another example of the stupid hodgepodge of laws we have to deal with.

Legal in Ohio and legal to carry even open carry. In fact I can open carry without a permit but I can't have it loaded in a vehicle unless I do have a concealed carry permit.

And I want one.

Figured the variation in local laws would make it more appealing in some areas than others.

(5) selling, manufacturing, purchasing or possessing a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches in length, or any firearm designed to discharge or capable of discharging automatically more than once by a single function of the trigger, whether the person knows or has reason to know the length of the barrel or that the firearm is designed or capable of discharging automatically.

Well I guess you cannot sell this to Kansas..

Sparkey

Ill check with the LEO.. We have constitutional carry in Kansas. So in the open or concealed they done care. In the truck or in the car open or concealed. Also do not have limits on magazines. So I would use this as home defense or in my auto defense. I wonder if Mossberg will let the public know which states allow this? That way the distributors can sell them easier.

Sparkey

Sparkey, this is NOT a shotgun. Not according to the law. It's a firearm. Therefore it needs to be 26" in length but the barrel length does not matter. Shotgun rules just simply do not apply to this firearm, not on the Federal level anyway.

The "raptor" birdshead grip has been reported by many people (check Amazon) as reducing fatigue and discomfort over a normal pistol grip. The built in strap on the forend also aids in control and safety, keeping the hand away from the muzzle and on the forend where it can counter recoil.

I like in Eastern Kansas and have one pre-ordered from Bud's gun shop. I can't wait, a very cool gun to be sure.

Well I have on on order :) Lets hope all fairs well.

Sparkey

Awesome, Sparkey. I think we'll be okay. I'm probably going to take mine over to my buddy's place in Abilene to shoot, I probably won't bother bringing it to most public ranges since I'm sure the probably won't like a pistol grip shotgun.

Back