• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Side Saddles and Shell Holders

nice videos. Looks like you worked on their form and controls of the shotgun before they got to the range which is important. Good on you!

Nice first shot. What ammo were you using?

Ben short stroked it on the last one.

Work on Gabriel's cheek on the stock.

Great to have the family out!!

Water Monkey said:
nice videos. Looks like you worked on their form and controls of the shotgun before they got to the range which is important. Good on you!

Nice first shot. What ammo were you using?

Ben short stroked it on the last one.

Work on Gabriel's cheek on the stock.

Great to have the family out!!

We had a box of #8 buck 2 3/4 and 2 boxes of 00 for a total of 35 rounds. We burned through the first 25 #8, then moved onto the 00. There are other videos of us shooting the 00.
I watched Ben and it looks like his hand pulled the forend back by accident when the gun went off. Then it was disconnected from the extractors by the time he tried to rack the slide.
We'll work on the cheek weld next time.

I know this is an older thread, but has anyone tried to add an ATI shell side saddle. I considering the 9 piece but at $140, I wanted to make sure it is worth it.

I haven't had any experience with their side-saddles but I can tell you that if it's made by ATI, it is top quality product. You definitely get your money's worth with them...

mvician said:
Mesa Tactical

Wow these are ver nice shell holders.wish it was available here in our country...

Has anyone tried or have in thier set up any of the promag archangel stuff, especially their 7 round shotshell holder? I like to see some pics of mossbergs with these holders as well as impressions on the product..

just want to share my new promag/archangel 7 rounder shotshell carrier installed in my590-as well as my personal thoughts about it..u might want to check this out since this is a very good option amongst shotshell carriers in the market right now...:)

095_zps35dbab58.jpg

091_zps449c6ee0.jpg

thoughts on the promag/archangel sidesaddle:

-very easy to install
-hi quality item based on heft and finish-looks like it will last the lifetime of the firearm
-looks like its expensive competitor-mesa tactical, tho this one is made from sturdy and heavy polymer not aluminum
-has individual tension screws per shotshell to adjust to ones preference in terms of shotshell retention-a first in its class
-7 round capacity instead of the usual 6 without sacrificing any space or ergonomics
-personally i felt it balanced the shotgun better-no more heaviness near the muzzle
-I was still able to use my grovetec qd cup pin sling attachment-a definite plus!!
- and the best, its cheap but definitely not cheaply made! i got it for much less the price of a locally available tacstar sidesaddle..:)

For my 590, I have used an elastic shell cuff on the stock. My reasoning for this is due to
1. The weight is farther back to help keep better balance.
2. They are not as rigid as the plastic side saddles,
3. They cost about 5 bucks.
4. They do not make it harder to pull out the trigger assembly to clean.
5. After a few years when the elastic wears out, they are easy to replace.
6. They can go on the left or right side of the stock. Even both side if you want.
7. If you already have a side saddle, this is a way to carry even more shells on the shotgun.

These are my reasons and they work for me, but they may not work for everyone else. It may not earn as many cool points. Also I am thinking about the Velcro on the side of the reviver, with the web shell holders. They can be swapped out quickly.

I make my own velcro shotshell carriers. My most recent card with improvements; I added a pull tab and I used 1" elastic so more of the hull would be visible (like the SOE card). The sew-on velcro works much better than the adhesive stuff I had been using for the first few cards.

I also made a 7" long velcro forearm/shock platform. I may end up cutting it down because my 6 round cards are a little over 5" long. I can fit a 2 rounder and a 6 rounder on it though. Still experimenting with other ways to carry ammunition.

More to come ...

Being a LH shooter, I'm concerned that a side saddle will impede my hand when on the trigger. Is there a recommendation for a stock mounted shell holder? Thank you

Being a LH shooter, I'm concerned that a side saddle will impede my hand when on the trigger. Is there a recommendation for a stock mounted shell holder? Thank you

You could maybe do the elastic type cuff and switch to the other side or do similar to above and make a Velcro type shotshell card or my preference; Triad Tactical.

image.jpg image.jpg

Triad makes these in either left or right hand and they're about $50. The inside zipper pocket is big enough for another box of shells, I have another 6 rounds of 3" magnum inside in these pictures. It's not the least expensive option, but its been my favorite option.

***EDIT***
https://www.triadtactical.com/Triad-Shotshell-Stock-Pack.html

I just checked the link above. The have all left hand colors in stock except ranger green. They have the most common including multicam.

You could maybe do the elastic type cuff and switch to the other side or do similar to above and make a Velcro type shotshell card or my preference; Triad Tactical.

View attachment 10536 View attachment 10537

Triad makes these in either left or right hand and they're about $50. The inside zipper pocket is big enough for another box of shells, I have another 6 rounds of 3" magnum inside in these pictures. It's not the least expensive option, but its been my favorite option.
Thank you sir I'll definitely check them out

Does anyone have one of the 2-shell carriers that attaches to their forend? I saw one in the Magpul shotgun video and it looks like a great setup for fast reloads, but it looks like the company that made them is gone now. I found another company called Asgard Defense that makes a carrier that looks similar, but it looks like it was designed for semi autos only.

Does anyone have one of the 2-shell carriers that attaches to their forend? I saw one in the Magpul shotgun video and it looks like a great setup for fast reloads, but it looks like the company that made them is gone now. I found another company called Asgard Defense that makes a carrier that looks similar, but it looks like it was designed for semi autos only.

taken from shotgunworld forum: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=242155
m24shooter said:
That is just a modified belt holder that Haley screwed to his forearm. Several companies make them. Safariland, CompTac, and several others. There is also a nylon one made by 3 Gun Gear. Be advised that either type can eject the rounds out during firing because there is no or little retention on the shells in the carrier.
I've been using a Side Armor carrier that is similar but mounts to a rail.

holderfrontoblq.jpg

And this type of question would probably be a better fit in the HD/Tac board.

Back