• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 802 Plinkster Troubleshooting

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your mossberg 802 plinkster; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

I just bought the 802 Varmint Plinkster and I have already run into a problem. At first, the gun fired nicely, the bolt was smooth opening and closing, but it gradually got harder and harder to open and close the bolt. Next thing I knew, the bolt was jammed and I had to take the gun apart (only the four recommended screws in the owners manual) to get the bolt unjammed. Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do to fix what is jamming? Thanks!

I haven't had any issues yet, But we only have a few hundred round through ours.
How many rounds have you shot?
Have you cleaned it yet? It almost sounds like the like the same issue with old Mosin Nagants and its "Sticky Bolt Syndrome" Which is where the cosmoline warms up and then cools again and makes the bolt very difficult to use, This is only a thought.
There isn't really much to the bolt.
Best of luck

I haven't even put 100 rounds through it. I bought it yesterday, cleaned it this morning and went to the range. Went through about 55 shots, and the bolt stuck. I fired the round, and went to eject the spent casing and the bolt would not budge. I have since cleaned the rifle again, and I tested it out. The bolt will get harder and harder to open until it will just seize. I'm going to call the product services at Mossberg tomorrow and chat with them about it. Thanks for your thoughts!

hiphopopotamus said:
I haven't even put 100 rounds through it. I bought it yesterday, cleaned it this morning and went to the range. Went through about 55 shots, and the bolt stuck. I fired the round, and went to eject the spent casing and the bolt would not budge. I have since cleaned the rifle again, and I tested it out. The bolt will get harder and harder to open until it will just seize. I'm going to call the product services at Mossberg tomorrow and chat with them about it. Thanks for your thoughts!

Sounds good, Let us know what they think.
I will look at ours and see what my be hanging up.
Best of luck

So I called them and I thought that they might help to troubleshoot, but they asked what the problem was, then asked for my information then told me that they are sending me a prepaid shipping label, and to ship the gun to them. The lady told me that the turnaround rate is about a week right now. So, hopefully they'll get it sorted out and send me back my rifle so I can go shooting next weekend.

Keep us updated on your situation. Hopefully they get it worked out for you.

Re: remington 802 Plinkster Troubleshooting

Update:
I sent the rifle in two weeks ago. Unfortunately, I forgot to include a written note saying what the issue is (they told me to include this). I sent an email, telling them the issue and with the serial number, my name, address, etc. and never got a reply. So, as far as I know, they have my 802, they don't have a note saying the issue but they have an email, and I don't know when I'm supposed to get the darn thing back. I haven't tried calling again, mainly because I don't want to sit on hold for half and hour again. We'll see.

Re: remington 802 Plinkster Troubleshooting

Thanks for keeping us updated. If you get a chance I would try to call though, the little time you spend now can certainly save quite a bit of frustration in the long run. Hope they get to the bottom of this for you.

Got the gun back this week! The included a new owner's manual (which I don't need, but nice to have an extra) AND a new cable lock. I'm glad for the lock because it didn't come with one in the first place.

It was quite dirty, however, so I cleaned it but when I was dismantling the rifle, they had tightened one the the small screws too tight and I dang near stripped the thing and bent a screw driver in the process of removing it. Wasn't happy about that but I got it out finally and it works fine.

The firing pin and bolt mechanism seem to be working fine now! I'm very happy. I took it out shooting Thursday and Friday and went through about 3/4 of a box of 550 rounds without any trouble.

To sum it all up: Mossberg's communication is lacking, but they know their firearms, and they fixed it all for free!

I am so glad go hear you got a working Mossberg again! Must be nice to have confidence back in your firearm. We appreciate the update and are working to help improve Mossbergs communication with their warranty work

Good to hear its working again, You have shot more through your Plinkster in 2 days than my daughter has since I bought it last year.
I still need to try out her 50mm red dot sight I installed... :lol:
Best of luck.

During the first 300 rounds of fire, I had 3 failures to extract. No big deal.

Next 300 rounds, I had 21 failures to extract. Has anyone had this issue? Sent an email out to Mossberg today about it.

I have run into the same issue with my daughters Plinkster. For the first year, it worked fine all the time. This summer when we took it out to use for 4H Shooting Sports, the problem started. It works fine for about 20-40 rounds, then the action gets harder and harder to work, eventually seizing up. I've tried it 2, 4, and 6 hours after seizing, and it was still stuck. If I then over night, or longer, I can once again work the action without an issue, until the next time I fire 20-40 rounds - then the problem repeats itself. This has happened at least three times. I have not yet called Mossberg support, but will try that. Anyone have a cause/remedy/prevention?

i have the same problem, after about 100 or so rounds the action started to get stiff and eventually "siezed". Mossberg service says to clean it and spray it with WD-40, change ammo brands...... i found a couple of other people with the same problem online but no solution other than sending it in. i'm no gunsmith, but there isn't that much to a bolt action so i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas? i've cleaned and oil it since the problem but haven't been out to shoot yet.

This does seem to be a fairly common issue but unfortunately I do not have a solution for it. I will send this to Mossberg and see if they have any solutions.

I have not had any similar issues, However, We might only shoot 10-20 rounds in a sitting with her, Maybe I will wander over to the range and see if I have any heat issues.
I will say the bolt is fairly tight, I have no problem working it, But my 10 year old daughter does at times.

I disassembled the bolt on my daughters 802, There is a small screw that has some sort of red lock tight holding it in place, I also noticed quite a bit extra underneath the screw where the spring is, I don't know if this could be part of the issue or not, But I gave mine a good cleaning.
If you take the stock off(two screws) then the two screws that hold the trigger assembly on, You will have access to the small screw in the bolt, If it came loose while in the receiver, I could definitely see that causing the bolt to get bound up.
However, That wouldn't change over night.
Just a few thoughts.

I think i fixed mine, i took my bolt apart and found chunks of the red loctite or whatever inside, i ran a wire brush through the inside and scrubbed everything with a tooth brush, sanded down some tiny rough spots and oiled it. i ran 100 rounds through it and no more stiff bolt! i'm going to shoot some more today, so i'll update further afterwards.

Back