• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 802 Plinkster vs Savage Mark II Bolt Action

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Let the discussion begin on which .22LR bolt action you would choose: Mossberg 802 Plinkster or Savage Mark II Bolt Action?

I shot the savage(not the sheriff :) ) before i bought my 802, granted the savage does have a really nice trigger, but i couldn't justify the price difference for a .22 to just plink around with. i bought the 802 and couldn't be happier! thats my story and i'm sticking to it "-)

I would say at this minute I would have to lean towards the Savage. I have both rifles.
The Savage seems to be better built and the company is still making them.

Something has definitely been mis-communicated here.

Mossberg is still making the 802 in various configurations and even featured several new stock finishes at SHOT this year. You just got some bad information...

Sorry if I have led anyone astray. I was only repeating what I was told by Customer Service when I called them. Glad that they are still making the 802. Do you know if the 801 is still in production? It is awfully hard to find...

To the best of my knowledge the 801 is still being made as well. Took me more than six months to get my hands on my 590a1, so being hard to find isn't all that unusual for some Mossberg models...

I now have both. I have owned a Savage mkII for just over 3 years. It was purchased at a Dicks Sporting and turns out it is a dicks exclusive. It DOES NOT have the Accutriger. It has/ha what may be the worst trigger on any firearm. A little gunsmithing and it now has a crisp 4lb break with no creep or overtravel. For xmas I purchased a 802 Bantam. trigger breaks at just over 4lbs. Both guns shoot about equal. My Savage is scoped and groups dime size at 50yard. The 802 has stock sights and with my old eyes did just fine sighting in at 50 yards. Adding a scope after my youngest grand son masters the open sights first.

I have never laid a hand on either rifle, however, I definitely want the Mossberg. :thumbsup: I have two 702s (semiauto) and love both of them. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back