• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 817 Bolt Action Reviews...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYSj75xEP1w[/youtube]

Does anyone own one of these? If so, how do you like it? I'm looking into to getting one (probably a scoped combo) as a varmint gun, and just a fun plinker. I'm either going to grab one of these, or a .22 mag. Any suggestions?

I don't personally own one but had a buddy with one, nice gun for shooting varmint and "plinking" around. I certainly enjoyed shooting it. You really can't go wrong with this mossberg for the price.

I bought the Mossberg 817 combo, which included the muzzle brake and scope. I'm not wild about the muzzle brake and may remove it as it seems to serve no purpose and looks funky. The scope is a Barska 3X9 40 and seems to work really well. It has the see through lens covers that are nice. I added a Winchester Bi-Pod that is removable or you can fold it forward and it seems to work really nice. After cleaning and lubricating the gun, the bolt and trigger now work smoothly. It was very dry from the factory. I made another trip to the range with it and was able to get 2 inch groups at 50 yards, which I know isn't great, but not too bad. I was shooting CCI 17 grain hollow points. From what I have read the polymer tips are a little more accurate. Another trip to the range after the temperature cools down some and maybe I can do better with it. I am happy with it and believe that for the money, you can't beat the little Mossberg 817.

It's a screw on. However it's extremely tight. I tried to remove it using a couple of rubber strap wrenches with no success. I am hesitant to use anything else as I don't want to leave any marks on the barrel. I'm getting used to it's uglyness, but it does throw the sound back at you, especially at an indoor range.

darn : P - Id like a muzzle brake for my 817 that i just bought. However, i dont want to have to thread the barrel - personally i like the way they look and purely want one for "cosmetics". The only universal/slide-on style brake i can find are the beeman ones for bb/pelet guns

I have removed and modified two of the muzzle brakes off mine and my fathers They are green lock tight on You need to LIGHTLY heat the muzzle brake and the jam nut. The Redneck engineering way of how much heat was lick my finger and touch the brake until i got it hot enough to sizzle slowly off the brake I stuck a screw driver wrap with rag in the side of the brake and a pair of vise grips and the jam nut in a rag making sure not to slip the vise grips on the jam nut and not holding on to the gun twisting it in the stock. I cut 1/2 to 5/8 inch off the end off the barrel and dress up the bore and thread edge and screwed the muzzle brake back on with out the jam nut using red lock tight to hold it on straight . looks so much better. I also had to install 50mm scope mounts on mine it cam with 40mm mounts which had the end of the scope rubbing on the barrel

Attachments

• muzzle brake.JPG
    muzzle brake.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,753
I might give that a try. What I want to do is remove the muzzle brake completely and either install a thread protector, if I can find one that will fit whatever the threads are or else maybe cut the barrel off just behind the threads.

Finally got my gun "built"!
Tasco scope, and NC-Star tactical quick release bi-pod, with barrel attachment.
The barrel attachment simply clamps on to the barrel - However its all metal with no rubber padding or anything. So i cut up an old bicycle tube and wrapped it around the barrel, where it clamps on - to keep the attachment from scratching up the barrel. :D :cool:

Took it to the shooting range last week, and love it.
I put 100 rounds through her. 50 Winchester rounds, and 50 Hornady rounds. Needless to say ill never use Winchester again. Out of 50 rounds, 4 miss-fired and one round was so badly damaged out of the box, that I could barely take it out. (no i didnt even try to fire that round)

Hornady rounds gave me no problems at all ad were much more accurate.

Oh, and yes the gun fits in the bag with the bipod still attached.

Attachments

• prepped.jpg
    prepped.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 3,531
  • bipod.jpg
    bipod.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 3,531
  • prepped3.jpg
    prepped3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 3,533
VERY nice!

I'll probably be pickin one of these boogers up before too long. Looks like too much fun to pass up.

Hello fellow Mossberger's, I just got my 817 with scope and muzzle brake for $250 NIB!! The brake will be taken off soon and replaced with something larger..haha, or at least a thread protector. My friends gave me some ribbing over the looks of my gun but were anxious to shoot it once I'd dialed in the scope and started hitting 2" 100's. This is my first .17HMR and was surprised by the solid report compared to my Ruger 10/22. The bolt action was a little stiff at first but seems to be getting smoother. I put 20 rds. of Hornady 17gr through it, cleaned it and then another 50 rds. with-out a single misfire of failure. I was a little worried about the quality of this entry level gun, but after a great experience shooting it, I can't wait to go out again.

Back