• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Tactical Build Up

New to the forum.....Hello from St. Louis, MO

SO I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag with wood stock and fore end. I plan to turn it into a HD/Tactical. I have read through a lot of the posts on here and here is my plan.

Mossberg 500 18.5" stand off barrel
Phoenix skull stock and fore end

Will I need to buy a new slide tube for the fore end? I believe the wood fore end IS the slide tube. I would therefore need to buy a new slide and mount the skull fore end to it.....correct?
I am watching gunbroker for the barrel. Comments and direction welcome.

Okay well, to put that barrel on your 835, you would be required to purchase a Mossberg 500 mag tube. Costing you more. What you could do, dependent on which tube you have now, is purchase the 590 Security barrel. Yes it is a little more but you are going to spend the extra on the 500 tube.

Just as well, you will still be able to add any Mag Extensions with the same mag tube you have now. Something to consider. As for the forend and Slide Assembly, I would have to see pictures to know what needs to be done.

Oh and... WELCOME too Mossberg Owners from Central PA! :D

Thanks Itsricmo....But now I am confused. Why will a 590 barrel work with the mag tube that is on there but the 500 barrel will not? Would i just be better off cutting the 835 barrel down to 18.5" with the intention of only using 3" 00 buck? Should I sell or trade the 835 and buy a 500 or 930? Good grief I am confused.

The way in which the barrel attaches to the magazine tube is different between certain models.

The 590/835 use just a curcular lug that goes around the magazine tube and is held on by an end cap that theads over the tube.

The 500 series has a bolt that threads into a plug in the end of the magazine tube.

AHHHHH...*light bulb is on now*. Gotcha. My barrel IS held on with a threaded end cap. I can not find a 590 barrel but I am not finished looking yet. Wondering if I should just buy a 500/590/930 and call it a day. Anyone interested in an 835 ulti mag?

I am looking at a 500 tactical on gunbroker.com that has the same threaded end cap on the mag tube as my 835. I guess this is because it is the new flex system? Now I am wondering if the new stand off barrel will work on my 835. That is the barrel I wanted anyway.

You are only looking at around $25-$30 (when I last checked) for a new magazine tube if that is the only thing in your way.

No, it is more than that. I would change the barrel, then the stock and forend. I am looking at about $145 for the barrel and $100 for the stock and forend. $25 for the mag tube. $300 when it is all said and done. $450 buys a new gun. The sell my 835 for $200 and it is a wash.

Maybe it will cost you but in the end you will be unrestricted as what what options you have to accessorize your Mossberg. If you outright buy another you run the risk of a pinned forend and needing to replace that. If I were you, I would personally swap out the tube and barrel. You would also be able to add mag extensions. It was on my list of things to do but than I got my 500 barrel threaded and I don't want to waste a good barrel :p

Edit: someone may be willing to buy that 835 barrel off of you for a fair price that would help offset the cost. If it can attach to a 500 mag tube.

Skyman, if I'm not mistaken the 500 Standoff/Breaching barrel is actually a 590 barrel and attaches the same as the barrel on the 835. That's why the 500's that use this barrel can be outfitted with mag extensions right outta the box....also why the 500 heat shields don't fit worth a damn on those barrels.

EDIT: From what I can find doing some google research, the 18.5" Standoff barrel will fit the 835 but it isn't real clear how smart it would be to use 3 1/2" loads with it. I'd probably stick to 3" and 2 3/4" out of respect to that side of my face.

Back