• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Accumag Chokes

I put some photos up on
predatormasters.com
The same as I've shown here. The thread is nothing but guns/choke tubes/loads/patterns and is 80 pages long going back 5 years or so.

That is where, as I mentioned above, a couple of guys have said those 4 buck patterns look as good as any they've seen through any gun and choke and that those patterns equal a dead dog. That said, if that's as good as its gonna get, I'm calling this combination good. Among the things I had set out to do with this gun was to find a buckshot load and choke combination for this role. I never thought early on I would get to a solid 50 yards until I started reading about HTL stuff and the claims of some choke manufacturers. Claims and reality are two different things and I think what I'm seeing from those 4 buck patterns is the nature of buckshot. I'm getting the 22-24" patterns claimed by Kicks choke tubes. Another thought on the Kicks I'll need to ask Chuck about; on two targets now I've had a part of the wad (gas seal maybe?) go through the target. The porting on the Kicks is designed to slow the wad if not strip it away to prevent it from blowing through the shot and disrupting patterns but I've clearly got a very nice round 3/4" hole in the target and not too far off the bull.

That said, I'd still rather see more dense patterns but its not going to happen without smaller shot and with HTL disappearing, the longer shots won't be possible anyway. The only option would be Hevishot and that's way expensive.

My favorite combination remains the Carlson's coyote choke with the Winchester heavy B. It will reliably put pellets on target to 50 yards, but again, stock of that load is drying up. I still consider it reasonably priced at $11 for 5 especially compared to an equivilant Hevishot load which is $47 for 10. I'm still going to try a couple less expensive loads, like the Federal WingShok 3" copper plated BB. I still want something to use through the Carlson's choke.

Another note;
I found Truglo Bone Collecter chokes (.670) for the 835 for I think $32 if anyone finds themselves interested. The Truglo Struttstopper is around $20 on eBay.

Sorry i havent had much to contribute.here as of late but am folowing this and appreciate all the time you are putting into it!!!

Didn't catch if you already tried it but you can try out my Primos Jelly Head choke if you want.

I haven't tried it yet but have heard good things about it. Do you know the exit diameter or constriction of that choke?

Offhand, no but i can measure when i get back home.

Alot on here about chokes for turkey. Anybody do extensive study for duck choke setup?

I will be in the open in a kayak or wading nearby (no trees around). Possibly jump shooting from kayak also.

I haven't only because I have no interest in steel shot.

What load do you plan to use? I have found that the coyote choke I have (.690) patterns B shot pretty well. I think some of the smaller shot (#2-#4) may pattern well through that too. But again, not steel. For steel you'll have to be more open, .710 may be on the tight side for that but I couldn't say for sure. Maybe this spring and into summer I'll experiment with steel loads.

Something else I forgot to mention is that there are a few chokes that are not ported, designed for waterfowl and work with FliteControl.

My experience with FliteControl has been very positive so long as its not fired through ported choke tubes.

I have it on good authority that Winchester BlindSide is the way to go for waterfowl. It is a steel load.

I'm waiting to hear on the choke for the 835.

The word on the choke constriction is nothing full or tighter but he did make specific mention of the chokes made and marketed for BlindSide ammo such as the Carlson's.

Since we're talking about accumag chokes, to say "full" can be misleading. I have a choke with an exit diameter of .720 that's called "XtraFull". That's a constriction of .055 which doesn't match up with constriction charts and I know I've seen waterfowl chokes with an exit diameter of .710. Carlson's tightest super steel extended choke is .727. I don't know what the BlindSide is but it says not to use any shot larger than BB in the long range tube.

On a loosely related note, I have a lead on a guy who uses his 835 for coyote and has the dope on 80 yard shots. Waiting on specifics.

The Longbeard ammo is in stock again so I got a box of the #6. As soon as I find some good cardboard I'll get a couple patterns with the two tightest chokes I have.

On a side note, I talked to guy who retired from the Ohio DNR and has personal connections to local biologists. We discussed turkey hunting and local populations. He said the two tag limit and coyotes have lead to diminished numbers of wild birds and really plead that hunters take only one Tom but that if they insist on taking two to not do it from one location. He also said that if I see a coyote to kill it.

And on the note of coyotes, I've not yet heard back on the 80 yard 835 set up. Maddening.

I just looked around for the strut stopper choke. It's tripled in price!
Must have been your great review on it. ;)

Lol, I don't know that's what did it, but I've found it on eBay for $20 a couple times.

Dicks has the TruGlo Gobble Stopper set with fiber optics for $25 right now. I didn't notice the constriction however.

Oh! I forgot to mention when talking about the retired DNR guy I met. I told him what kind of patterns I was getting and he too was impressed with 130+ pellets in 10" at 40 yards. Again, that's with #5s and the TruGlo. I'm about to pattern the #6s and will have pics and specifics on that load hopefully this weekend yet.

Oh my goodness, I'm excited to bring you this information!

I fired two rounds of the Winchester LongBeard 3" #6, 1-3/4 oz 1200 FPS this afternoon. One through the sleeper TruGlo StrutStopper Xtreme .670, then one through the Carlson's extended ported turkey .675.

Before I give the results, I'll remind everyone here of the difficulty I've had with Carlson's choke tubes obtaining evidence to support hype and the claims of their LongBeard choke tube @.683 putting 182 pellets of #6 in 10" at 40 yards. My first shot with that tube was with #5 shot and I counted precisely 47 pellets. I promptly exchanged the choke tube for the tightest turkey choke they make for accumag which is a more or less non descript ported tube with an exit diameter of .675. I also changed ammo to the Winchester LongBeard but the #5 and not the #6 recommended. However, I took the same shot and counted 105 or maybe 108 pellets doubling the number from the LongBeard choke and DoubleX #5 load.

Now for this evenings results with the reigning champ, the TruGlo vs. the challenger, the Carlson's extended ported turkey with the LongBeard #6.

First the TruGlo;
I shot high, and I knew it when I did it, so I adjusted for the sake of this experiment.
The count is 173 pellets in 10" at 40 yards.
image.jpg

Next is the Carlson's;
I managed to shoot POA/POI with no need to adjust to get a count and the result that I am excited about, 172 pellets in 10" at 40 yards!
image.jpg

This is the only combination to come close the what the TruGlo has been producing. How cool is that?

Is a 10'' circle considered the standard when checking pattern?

And I take that you just shoot from the from the distance you think your going to be hitting game at?

Is a 10'' circle considered the standard when checking pattern?

And I take that you just shoot from the from the distance you think your going to be hitting game at?

JohnA checks pattern based on what a 3" circle (about the size of a clay pigeon) looks like at a given distance. The basic patterning advice is a 30" circle and count pellets in the circle vs the number of pellets in the load and make it a percentage. 70% pellet count in that 30" is expected at whatever distance you intend to be shooting game or clays. If you've got 70% at 20 yards but you plan to be shooting at least 30 yards and only have 50% at that distance then go to a tighter choke.

For predator and turkey hunting, you're aiming for a much smaller area, either the head and neck of a turkey, or the vitals of a predatory dog or cat. That's why the 10" circle and rather than a percentage it's as many pellets as you can get. Though some some don't like super tight patterns like this to 40 and 50 yards because at closer ranges its possible to miss with the narrow shot column at something like a turkey neck, only hitting with loose pellets around the periphery, which may not kill the bird leaving it maimed.

I'm personally ok with what I have, it shoots straight.

For wing shooting, waterfowl, I think the 30" circle is the way to go. Waterfowl chokes are sometimes listed weird like short, medium, and long range. I've also seen things like passing and decoy.

Back