• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Accumag Chokes

Here is my reasoning for why I use a 3 inch circle.

That would not be ideal, or even sensible to use for any kind of fast moving shooting where you would be sweeping the target. Like grouse or pheasant or duck hunting.

We have very few grouse and pheasants anymore since the state in their infinite wisdom reintroduced coyotes to our area. They really screwed the grouse population entirely. To put it into perspective, I have seen a grand total of TWO grouse in the last 15 years. Further, I kill every coyote I have a chance to draw down on.

So, unfortunately, I don't get to hunt grouse anymore and now am excited just to see one because it's such a rare treat now that takes me back to my childhood hunting them with dogs.

But I do hunt turkeys and squirrels, which require tighter patterns, so I judge how well my gun is patterning by a small 3 inch circle.

The more pellets I get in the 3 inch circle at a given distance (usually around 20 yards or so), the happier I am.

Now if I was hunting flying birds, I would probably opt for a lot looser choke, like a modified or something along those lines so the pattern would spread out more at a distance, allowing more of a chance that I'll get it.

But the whole point of patterning your gun and even patterning it with different brand shells or shot size or choke, is to see where and how the pellets are hitting the target and to optimize the results for what and how I am hunting.

I just found today Winchester has a new load being touted as a predator/varmint load. It replaces the heavy weight coyote load that has been discontinued.

When I discovered the heavy B was no longer being made, I emailed Winchester. I asked if they would replace the load and if any consideration had been given to developing a predator load in the same ShotLok used in the LongBeard turkey load. They replied that things were in the works.

The new load marketed for predator/varmints is called Varmint X, sharing the name of the center fire rifle line of ammunition with ballistic tip and was unveiled at this years SHOT show. It's available only in 12 ga 3", 1-1/2 oz at 1300 FPS and utilizes the ShotLok resin wad.

I can only find the Winchester Varmint X online right now, though I've not checked Bass Pro or Cabellas.

The point is, I want to find this load and shoot it. And of course pattern with photo documentation.

After much anticipation, Winchester Varmint X now includes Shot-Lok Technology in a new shotshell load developed specifically for hunting predators. The popularity of Shot-Lok Technology in other Winchester products such as Long Beard XR and Rooster XR rolled seamlessly into what is now one of the most devastating shotshell products available for long range shots on coyotes, foxes and more.

Shot-Lok Technology includes a liquid gel that surrounds the pellets in the shot cup and then hardens. The shot then launches from the barrel nearly perfectly round for extremely tight, long-range patterns. The new Varmint-X shotshell load is available in 3-inch, 1½-ounce plated BBs traveling at 1,300 feet per second (fps). At 40 yards, expect more than 12 inches of penetration along with devastating knockdown power.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...x-ammunition-12-gauge-3-1-1-2-oz-bb-box-of-10

That 12" of gel penetration may be a bit of an exaggeration and I've learned through my processes not to believe hype. But- the ShotLok LongBeard has been an excellently patterning load. It's patterned better than anything else I've tried. My journey from 47 pellets in 10" to 172 pellets is documented here.

I like video. 1080 lets me understand it more gooder...:p

You're gonna be in big fat trouble.

That article is pretty good, and I can imagine the 55 yard shot being a realistic expectation.

The story says 6 to 10" inches of gel penetration and 75 pellets on target. But for each of those it doesn't mention distance. I'm still willing to work with it.

I will soon have some of the ShotLok VarmintX 3" BB. The price is reasonable at about $12 for 10. I will pattern as soon as I'm able. It's the busy season with overtime and cheer practice and Friday night lights and Saturday football games as well. Church on Sunday till about noon leaving Sunday afternoon.

Did you order online or getting em from a local place?

Had to order online. The only place that may stock it would be bass pro or cabellas. Either of those are an hour + away.

Ammo sometime today. I am hopeful I can pattern this evening before the sun goes down. Otherwise it will be after church tomorrow afternoon.

Back