• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Photo Gallery

Ill tell ya what, right now I'm wishing I had some federal flitecontrol turkey loads if the 00 is any indication, even if not perfect.

image.jpg

Surprisingly, the Hornady equivalent fell apart and I only saw several pellets on paper. The Hornady Critical Defense in the black hull, which is identical to their LE light magnum, patterns very nicely from my 500.

Ammunition is so fascinating in this regard.

Last edited:
You have my attention.

If i recall correctly the Hornady rounds like a more open choke. The wad holds it together

You have my attention.

If i recall correctly the Hornady rounds like a more open choke. The wad holds it together

Yeah, they seem too, though the FliteControl is the design that spawned the VersaTite. So just as you said, they're designed to excel in a more open choke.

Here's the weird thing though. Both Federal and Hornady offer turkey loads with the same wad technology. A turkey choke is an extra full choke, so the wad isn't especially needed with the turkey choke. Yes? No? I dunno. I didn't take any pics of the Hornady turkey magnum on paper but it performed decently, good consistent coverage but not the density you see people saying it should be. It honestly patterned similarly from my 500.

I should maybe get some turkey loads that are just regular type and see how those hold up.

Ive always just used plaim WinAA turkey loads in 5 and 6s in all but my 20g. The 20g prefers Rem in #6.

I have dreams of experimenting with others but am too cheap when i look at the prices. LOL

Ok just kiddin, here's a better shot. @Bobster had requested a full length shot and I took a higher resolution pic today. But seriously, it hits like a hammer! After speaking with Mr. Scott Carlson, his son Mr. Shane Carlson, a couple other guys like Chad, they sent me a barrel sticker. I wasn't crazy about the difficulty I had in finding a load for the choke but they helped me sort it out and all is well and documented in the other thread. And the decal looks pretty cool.

image.jpg

Hmm...idk if I would have put that on my barrel...maybe the back window of my truck...

But I love the blackout look of it...

I dig it, and it will mostly be in a blind. I don't think it will last too long though.

Back