• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Reviews...

Edit: Fixed link - MikeD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edit: Fixed Link - MikeD

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an 835 that was quite used when I bought it. It worked perfectly. I liked the nice patterns the overbored barrel produced. The gun feels huge in your hands, and I would not recommend it as a quail or pheasant gun, although my friend has one as his only gun and rarely misses a pheasant. . . .

This won't be real super in depth, just my experiences this far since turkey season.

The model I have is the 20" turkey with fiber optic 3 dot rifle style sights, adjustable trigger, and thumb hole stock.

First, what I like;
The sights are excellent and adjustable, easy to pick up in nearly all light from early morning to dusk.
I like the 20" barrel. I've never liked a longer field barrel, to me it's like trying to swing a crane boom into position.
The adjustable trigger is pretty sweet. I've not had to adjust it, I press down until my finger tip is flat on the trigger surface then I start to press for the take up and there isn't any. It surprises me every time.
I like that its threaded for chokes which I've never had before and I like experimenting with it.
I also like the 590/835 style magazine tube. I like the options it allows as opposed to the 500 lug and nut attached to the barrel.

What I don't like;
I don't like the thumb hole stock. It's too much like a pistol grip which ergonomically doesn't work well with OFM controls. So I traded for a standard OFM stock.
I don't like the sporter pinned forend. I don't like the feel or style. I intend to get a standard action slide tube and put a Hogue on it.

Otherwise it's solid. It's standard Mossberg. I'm very happy with it to this point.

I took my 835 out to a buddies ranch last week. His son in-law loves firearms so I took mine to let him check them out. I had the rifled barrel on with the Williams fire sights, no scope and loaded with a few cheap sabot rounds, well not exactly cheap but they were not my V-Max rounds. At about 40 yards it took him 3 shots to hit the end of a beer can. After the first shot he adjusted the LOP, with the Knox 1st generation spec-ops recoil reducing stock, he wasn't accustomed to, he got a little bit of cheek slap, shot his second round. I told him put the red dot exactly between the green dots and he hit it. Then he shot a round of 18 pellet OO buck. After it initial shock as he could so was WOW! He loved it. Coupled with the Limbsaver Butt Pad, it does make for a sweet weapon and with the extended magazine he was sold.

I shot his Glock 9 and hit my targer on the 3rd try then shot his 45 and hit my target first time twice in a row. I wasn't that smart because on the second shot, my left thumb was riding a little high and I caught the slide across the top of my thumb, a little skinned but it healed in a week. Not bad but I learned a lesson. I should have learned that lesson a month ago when I did my proficiency for my CHL. A lady there got her hand in a major blood letting from the same thing. I scored a 482 and it took a 250 to pass. did get hit with a ricochet from a wild shooter to my left and ended up with one of her spent shells in my left pocket. Just left a red spot for a couple of hours on my chest. At the time I was wondering how a spent shell ejected from my left hit me in the chest then realized there were two holes in my B-29 target from the back side and two extra shots way out from where my pattern was situated. She ended up wit a score of 262 and admitted it was the first time she had ever shot.

JADE HELM starts tomorrow. Really hope nothing becomes of it.

God Bless you brothers, without the 2nd, we can't have the first and they are trying to take both away.

BTW: I need a job. I'm a techno geek that loves camping, (my wife hates it), loves fishing, she does too if she doesn't have to touch them of clean them), sailing and the outdoors, and I'm ready for a change in life at 61 years of age that is tough.

Later my friends,

Hey @nasa Good to see you back posting again!!

OMG nasa!!! Wth man!? How are you ?! It is great to see that you are still up n at em....

Back