• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: 835 action slide release problem

Howdy maxpowercheck and welcome to the club. My 835 is kinda the same way in regards to the Action. However not with the release. Have you taken it apart to clean it? That is the first step. Even if it's never been fired. There'll always be crud inside. Not to mention it'll give and us a better understanding of it. Let us know how it looks or if you already have feild stripped it and we'll go from there.

And we look forward to helping you out.

maxpowercheck said:
Hello, I need help. My older never fired 835 has an Action Slide Release which does not lock the slide forward unless I slam the pump forward. I also notice the release button (next to the trigger) does not extend all the way out. Nor is there a positive detent when it does move. When locked, you can still extend it out more with your finger. The gun is still in unfired condition, but I think it is 10 years old or so. Blued with wood stocks and some engraved receiver. What is wrong with it and how can I repair it?

Wonder what happened to Max?

nasa said:
maxpowercheck said:
Hello, I need help. My older never fired 835 has an Action Slide Release which does not lock the slide forward unless I slam the pump forward. I also notice the release button (next to the trigger) does not extend all the way out. Nor is there a positive detent when it does move. When locked, you can still extend it out more with your finger. The gun is still in unfired condition, but I think it is 10 years old or so. Blued with wood stocks and some engraved receiver. What is wrong with it and how can I repair it?

Wonder what happened to Max?

Idk....I'm interested in how it turned out.

When patterning my 835 this spring with Hevishot 3.5x2.25 oz x 7, I had several rounds that would not eject. My gun was thoroughly cleaned prior to the sessions. Other shell of different manufacturers weren't a problem. I've noticed that this is a problem with Hevi/835's on other forums. Any ideas?
Thx!

I haven't had any problem with heavy shot..yet. How is the ejector? Bent? Lemme look at mine when I get home tonight.....

Shims needed to change/lower stock drop . . .

835 Shims needed to change/lower stock drop . . .

Can't seem to locate them. I am new to Mossberg. Is this even possible?

Re: Shims needed to change/lower stock drop . . .

waldo-jr said:
835 Shims needed to change/lower stock drop . . .

Can't seem to locate them. I am new to Mossberg. Is this even possible?

There are shims available from OFM

Stock Drop Shims

Attachments

• 95091.gif
    95091.gif
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,307
Having some troubles

Hey guys Im new here and have a question or two.

I went out busted some clays earlier and came home and did the regular clean down the same way I always do. As I went to reassemble I noticed it now takes 2 trigger squeezes for the forearm to make its full journey to the pin.

Anybody have any idea as to what would cause this? I tried reassembling it multiple times and nothing looks like its stopping the arm from making the full rotation so im stumped.

My trigger assembly is now not wanting to go in, I can slide the front in but the rear doesnt want to get in. I think life is just kicking me in the testicles right now :x

Re: Having some troubles

traxx said:
Hey guys Im new here and have a question or two.

I went out busted some clays earlier and came home and did the regular clean down the same way I always do. As I went to reassemble I noticed it now takes 2 trigger squeezes for the forearm to make its full journey to the pin.

Anybody have any idea as to what would cause this? I tried reassembling it multiple times and nothing looks like its stopping the arm from making the full rotation so im stumped.

My trigger assembly is now not wanting to go in, I can slide the front in but the rear doesnt want to get in. I think life is just kicking me in the testicles right now :x

Howdy traxx and welcome to the club.

Without actually seeing pics and holding that mighty 835 in my hands I can only guesstimate....
So I went to my cabinet and looked at my 835's guts.... ;)

I would suspect that one the springs inside the trigger housing is the culprit. Either the Trigger Spring , Or Trigger Housing Pin Retainer Spring, Or the Action Lock Disconnector Spring is no good. I can't really say for sure...but it sounds like a spring has lost it's "spring". :oops:
(1, 70, 68)
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/si ... etail/835-

They are replaceable, and so is the trigger housing if you need to go that route. Taking apart the housing is a real pita.... :roll: only $35 at Midway....
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163788 ... ssberg-835

As for not getting it to seat properly again, (assuming you haven't disassembled the trigger housing) is the hammer in the "cocked" position before you install it?

Anyone else?

Thanks for the info and the welcome. I actually got the trigger to start working (not to sure how) but its still not seating, I got it all slid forward and the hammer in the cocked position. It sits up about 1/4-1/2". I can upload pics if needed.

I got it to sit in beautifully. After some inspection I realized some of the pins got moved and were sticking out a little bit.

traxx said:
I can upload pics if needed.

Yep...pix of that mighty beast will be required. :D

The trigger works good now?

Well....That's great news you got it sit properly. I like it when people try to work on their own guns, It helps them learn about it, instead of just taking it out of the cabinet to do it's job. The more you field strip it, the more you find it goes back together easier than the last time. :geek:

I went out turkey hunting yesterday and the wind was just ludicrous. So needless to say dirt got in everywhere. Even on me, in places I didn't know I had space for... :lol: :lol: So I'll be doin some of the same....

Glad "You" figured it out.

This is my Mighty Mossberg...

jVv9Jl.jpg

SiiAYl.jpg

ripjack13 said:
This is my Mighty Mossberg...

jVv9Jl.jpg

SiiAYl.jpg

That is beautiful. I've been wanting to get a nice dot sight for mine for when I go bust coyotes.
I know how that is, My goose slayer has been dropped in the mud a few times and there was mud in places I didn't even knew exist.

Here she is, sadly it's just plain jane until I get some extra cash floating around

1012121901-00.jpg

traxx said:
That is beautiful. I've been wanting to get a nice dot sight for mine for when I go bust coyotes.
I know how that is, My goose slayer has been dropped in the mud a few times and there was mud in places I didn't even knew exist.

Here she is, sadly it's just plain jane until I get some extra cash floating around

1012121901-00.jpg

This is the red dot I have, Amazon has it here, for just about what I paid for it. I love it. It has a T dot, red and yellow, 3 brightness settings on each color. Early morning I use low yellow, and around mid day I crank it up to bright red....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019SS8CE/ref ... pe_epc_dt6

The weaver mount is actually a saddle mount...Just remember to use lock-tite, the blue stuff so if need be, you can remove the screws for cleaning.

And the leaf camo is some leafy stuff I cut off my face mask and glued em on to it...

:D

please help--new to me 835 wont cycle

I have a new to me 835 ultimag. When i fire a shell it goes boom. Then I cycle the pump. The spent casing pops out ok--not a lot of force but it flies clear. Unless I slam the slide back a new shell does not come out of the magazine onto the elevator. Sometimes it takes a few slams to bounce the new shell out. Looking at it, it seems to me that the elevator does not push the stop far enough out of the way to release the new shell.

Please, what is the proper way to make this bad boy work like it should? ???? What should I look for to determine the source of the problem????

835 question?

I red something about the 835 comes factory bored to a 10g and necks down to 12g. Can anyone enlighten me a little more about this. Thanks

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Re: please help--new to me 835 wont cycle

Howdy TDoc,
I would check the mag tube for any burrs or damage. It could have a burr that's preventing it from sliding out properly. What does the shells casing look like? Is there any scratches or "damage" to the hull and/or head?

Also, when you have the tube off, check the spring. It could be worn and may have lost it's "spring" so to speak. Does it look like it needs a new one? I'm not sure of the actual length though.
Maybe one of our esteemed members knows that answer...??

Could be an issue with the shell stopper as well.

I'd check tio see is the stopper is bent too far outward for the shells to clear. The stopper spring could also be gunked up with fouling...

Thank you. The magtube feels ok to a quick check with my finger. Of course, that is a basic check with it still in place.

Is a strap wrench the preferred way to loosen it?? It is NOT coming out by hand.

Since i dont know what an unbent/good stopper looks like.....i will try to get a photo. Saves fat fingered typing on my phone.

Further research shows i am not alone in this issue....http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=171251

Back