• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action Troubleshooting

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your mossberg 835 ulti-mag pump action; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
835 ejector screw

i had my ejector screw strip out on me. ( i even had lock tite on it.) i had installed a weaver mount for my scope, and it came with a same size screw. so now i'd like to find a longer screw that i can attach a nut to it that's long enough to from inside the chamber to go on the out side of the mount. anyone know where i can find one? i called mossberg and all they have is the oem screw. i'm going to try looking into a company call small parts to see if they have one.

anyone have this problem & how did you fix it?

http://www.smallparts.com/192-9055061-8587457

thanx for any help.

Re: 835 ejector screw

hmm..so i went to my local ace hardware. they had a screw fairly close to what i needed. i just had to use my dremel to make the head flat, so it doesn't rub. i did a decent job i must say. no rub, no binding. however. it's silver color on a camo'd gun...i'll have to fix that somehow....

I am glad to hear you were able to local the screw you needed for your Mossberg 835. I would take a little nail polish to the screw head so it doesn't stand out on your camo finish.

that's a great idea....i was looking in my old model kits and couldn't find any good paint. they're all dried up...the wife has some...who am i kidding. she has a butt load. i'll check her stash.

thanx dan.

I am glad I could help. Post some pictures after you paint it.

A Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag replacement ejector is SKU#1539BL $3.50 but for the most part if you give them a call with the serial number of your gun, they send it out free of charge, 98% of the time. ;)

gunsandthings said:
A Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag replacement ejector is SKU#1539BL $3.50 but for the most part if you give them a call with the serial number of your gun, they send it out free of charge, 98% of the time. ;)

I dont think thats the ejector screw he is looking for. You want a longer one correct? Well if incase you are interested in the one we offer feel free to contact me and I'll be glad to send you one.

hello edna. yes the ejector screw is the one i needed. i went to ace hardware to get one that was long enough to go through the hole and past the weaver mount i put on it. i also used a self locking nut and blue lock tite. so it's fixed now.
i actually called mossberg to see if they offered a longer one, but the rep said no, just the original.

thanx for the post, and thank you gunsandthings for getting that info. however i already had the part number.

Safety resets after firing mag loads

When firing #00 mag loads, the safety resets to safe. Is the fix to stretch the safety detent spring?

Just put a new spring in it.
Put just a bit of stretch to it. Seemed better. Not so sure that it doesn't need a bit more. My shoulder tells me I don't want to do much more testing with the magnum loads. :D

well thats good news...let us know when your shoulder gives you the go ahead...lol

also my neighbor was wondering if that was happening with mine as well. i couldn't answer for sure because i haven't shot it with 00 shot. i use mine just for turkey at the moment. so while i'm at cabelas on sunday i'll pick some up.

i didn't get to go on sunday like i wanted. i was really just hoping to get some new winchester blindside ammo. however they said they didn't have any in stock at the moment. so i'm waitin on that.

Weak Safety slide button

I took down the Mossberg 835 today and put a little bit of stretch in the spring for the safety detent ball.

It works fine now.

I was having a problem with it returning to the safe position when firing 12 gauge Super-X 3 1/2 #00 buck 18 pellet magnum loads.

Using the recoil reducing stock allowed the gun to spring forward enough to slide the button back to safe by the combined weight of the safety button and block.

Now repeated firing on multiple targets is no problem.

Re: Weak Safety slide button

I have shot those 3 1/2" mags.....those things rock your world. I shot some out of a Benelli Super Blackbird (semi) and they kicked harder than the Tika 300 win mag we were shooting that day.

I fired off 4 in a row with out being sore in any way with the Knoxx Spec-Ops stock.

Really sweet. Can hardly wait to get a rifled barrel to try some sabots. Maybe next weekend at the Fort Worth Gun Show.

The Knoxx takes the sharpness out of it for sure.....once I got used to the motion of the recoil I really started to like it but I didn’t really appreciate it till I shot it back to back with a friends factory stocked 590, then I was really impressed

nasa said:
I took down the Mossberg 835 today and put a little bit of stretch in the spring for the safety detent ball.

It works fine now.

I was having a problem with it returning to the safe position when firing 12 gauge Super-X 3 1/2 #00 buck 18 pellet magnum loads.

Using the recoil reducing stock allowed the gun to spring forward enough to slide the button back to safe by the combined weight of the safety button and block.

Now repeated firing on multiple targets is no problem.

Aha .good to hear..I knew it had to be the spring or the safety nub under the safety itself.glad it works now....

Hey Guys,

I went out shooting my 835 a few weeks ago just at some clays and had a shell get stuck after firing it. The action opened the empty shell just did not come out and I had to take the barrel off to get it out. I was just using cheap Federal smaller 2 3/4 shells. We put it back together and it kept working.

When I went out this last weekend it happened again when I used a Winchester 3 1/2. I got that one out and it kept firing the smaller shells while we were shooting.

Any ideas what could be causing this or what I could do to prevent it?

Thanks

Back