• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Slugster 12 Gauge with 24" barrel Optic Optics

Kenk

Am considering an optic for my Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Slugster 12 Gauge for next years deer season, but know very little about shotgun optics. I’m guessing 100 yards give or take would be my maximum distance needed. I do understand the word cheap and optic should never be used in the same sentence, as with holsters, but there has to be something, either by Vortex, or other manufacturers that won’t break the bank. As for the type of optic I’m looking for, I guess I don’t know
Thanks

$100 will give you a decent shotgun optic.

Truth is, most of the optics that I use on all my hunting guns from rimfire to deer hunting stuff are marketed as shotgun optics. For the main reason, I like lower magnification power stuff since I seldom get 100 yard shots. Most of mine are well less. So, I don't need ridiculous 6-24x scopes.

The 1.5-5 or 1.75-6x scopes work great for me.

I have a bunch of tasco, bushnell and even a simmons brand shotgun scopes. I think all 3 are all owned by the same parent company so doesn't really matter which of the three you choose. And most of them I picked up second hand from ebay for about $65.

Something like this would work great. I have a bushnell that is essentially the same thing with a different rollmark on the side of it and it's been a great scope.

or this one below (the circle around the crosshair center seems a bit small on this one, but would be usable. Also, not that it matters unless you just don't like it, the one below is camo dipped.

$100 will give you a decent shotgun optic.

Truth is, most of the optics that I use on all my hunting guns from rimfire to deer hunting stuff are marketed as shotgun optics. For the main reason, I like lower magnification power stuff since I seldom get 100 yard shots. Most of mine are well less. So, I don't need ridiculous 6-24x scopes.

The 1.5-5 or 1.75-6x scopes work great for me.

I have a bunch of tasco, bushnell and even a simmons brand shotgun scopes. I think all 3 are all owned by the same parent company so doesn't really matter which of the three you choose. And most of them I picked up second hand from ebay for about $65.

Something like this would work great. I have a bushnell that is essentially the same thing with a different rollmark on the side of it and it's been a great scope.

or this one below (the circle around the crosshair center seems a bit small on this one, but would be usable. Also, not that it matters unless you just don't like it, the one below is camo dipped.

Thanks buddy, I’m likely mistaken, but it seems like the factory rail on the 835 is rather small and wimpy looking. Is that the case? or is it exactly what I need to secure an optic, Thanks again!

It may be drilled and tapped so you can install a picatinny rail?

And if it didn't come pre-drilled and threaded, it's simple to do that yourself. I've done that a bunch of times on my shotguns.

qyKhoNR.jpg

1. mark the holes where they need to be with a sharpie.
vMzsYtu.jpg

2. Use a punch to deform the metal where the marks are so your drill bit doesn't walk or break
fN9693J.jpg

3. After drilling the holes, use the tap to thread them.
qWNOlJU.jpg

4. File the end of the screws off so they don't screw in too deep and interfere with the bolt. *You can see the whiteout that I put on the end of the screw so I knew how much to remove
0sNpFbn.jpg

5. Screw the rail in place. Use a drop of loctite on the screw so they don't vibrate and shoot loose.
Tgr2tWf.jpg

GPUUFML.jpg

I haven't ordered a rail in a while, but they were only $6 or $8 the last time I did. You'll also need to order the proper size drill bit and tap for the screws you use. But, I think that's pretty self explanatory.

Thanks John, it is drilled and taped.
Another quick question, I currently have a Holosun HE503CU-GR Optic on a 10mm PCC, and was wondering if this model optic could be used on my Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Turkey for deer hunting along with my slugster ported barrel. I did contact Mossberg regarding this, and am waiting on their response. In addition, I did ask a similar question on a Holosun FB group, and a gentleman thought it might work, and provided the below link for a rail. Any help or confirmation that this could work would be great.

Thanks

https://www.egwguns.com/mossberg-500-590-835-930-935-all-years-shotgun-picatinny-rail

Attachments

• 37D24EAE-D3B1-43CF-A0F1-A11BAD0DAE20.jpeg
    37D24EAE-D3B1-43CF-A0F1-A11BAD0DAE20.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 3
Why couldn't you use a red dot?

Item description indicates the rail will work on your receiver. Scroll down on their webpage for more specifics

45310-01.jpg

I guess no reason, but wasn’t sure it could take the abuse. If the optic can take the 10mm recoil, it could work on the Mossberg, yes?
Thanks again

Ken

Attachments

• C84D4A6E-9FBC-4D8A-BE6A-ADB82D671DFB.jpeg
    C84D4A6E-9FBC-4D8A-BE6A-ADB82D671DFB.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 0
You can mount a red dot on anything! :D I outlined the install of this 10/22 rail and misc surplus red dots elsewhere here. That is a big ol' honking Tasco that looks much more at home on a shottie... ;) The smaller tube stayed on and rail was cut--that is the final configuration...

rough12.jpg bar6.jpg

Thanks, my concern was A. - Can the optic take the abuse of a shotgun, and B. - Would this rail likely work
Thanks for everyone’s help

If you don't like the rail mount you can find lower profile sight mounts like this one :

1667954588122.png

You have to make sure the mount fits your optic. I find a rail mounted sight on a shotgun sits way to high.

Thank you, but will the lower profile mount even work with this optic?
Thanks

Ken

Attachments

• 1421009E-8D2F-4BBA-B93E-DC9866E1EB95.jpeg
    1421009E-8D2F-4BBA-B93E-DC9866E1EB95.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1
Thank you, but will the lower profile mount even work with this optic?
Thanks

Ken
You would have to check the specs, They work with many reflex models, not sure if would work with your optic

If you don't like the rail mount you can find lower profile sight mounts like this one :

View attachment 28215

You have to make sure the mount fits your optic. I find a rail mounted sight on a shotgun sits way to high.

I had not seen those mounts before. Hmmm.

Thanks, my concern was A. - Can the optic take the abuse of a shotgun, and B. - Would this rail likely work
Thanks for everyone’s help
I think the "impulse" of recoil from a shotgun, while stronger than many calibers, is not as "sharp" or intense as smaller calibers so I will assume it will take the recoil. I think any reflex optic would handle it, particularly any optic that is designed to mount on a handgun slide... Interestingly, a PCP airgun will destroy a "regular" scope from the impulse.

Did your 835 come with a rail from the factory? If so, mount that Holosun and give it a whirl! What are you waiting for? ;) I'm sure the factory rail will be quite sufficient for scope mounting--no need for a pic rail...

PS: does your 835 stock have a pronounced comb or cheek rest to better view optics? If not, PM me--I have a black thumb-hole scope stock that will work for you...

I really like one of the optics John mentioned, the KonusPro 7249 -1.5X-5X32mm, but thought if I could get my
Holosun HE503CU-GR to work correctly, that would be the way to go. The longer I kick this around, the more I like the KonusPro for a lower end optic.

I use similar optics on most all of my guns these days. I have a few on rimfires. And I have multiple on guns that I coyote hunt with. As I said, most of my hunting is well within 100 yards. And often a fraction of that.

I have at least four or five similar scopes. I don't have the konus brand, but I'd bet a nickel that it's made in the same building as the brand ones that I have.

I know one of them was called the simmons pro diamond which is the most similar reticle to the konus. Here's a link to how it looks. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009732056/

Another is a bushnell trophy circle x reticle (it has a rounded crosshair instead of diamond shape which also works well). That scope is now discontinued I think, but can still be picked up on the used market. Here's a link to that particular style. https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/produ...2/bushnell-1.75-4x32mm-circle-x-shotgun-slug-

But I'd be just as content with the konus probably.

I have a bushnell TRS-25 on a few different guns. Its a nice inexpensive option thats pretty low profile.
Screenshot_20221109-090011.png

I also have a Bushnell RXS100 on a hd gun and like it a lot. I'll be soon mounting a second one using the low profile mount I posted previously.

Screenshot_20221109-085931.png

Back