• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Barrels

Some differences in the 930 SPX barrels

Mossberg has had essentially three versions of the barrel for the 930 SPX.
The first was the short LPA front sight tower, the second was the short LPA tower on a welded pedestal, and the third has been a thicker profile barrel and a taller LPA sight tower. The first two are fairly straightforward. However the third has actually had a few versions as well, and I don't know if these are intentional or just a convenience issue.
The third generation barrel as I said typically has the tall LPA sight tower; that said I've also seen the thick barrel with the short LPA sight. I don't know if this is just another weird move by OFM, of if they are using up the remaining stock of short sights similar to the way that Colt will put out some ARs that don't really fit their type patterns because they are using up the remainder of some small parts that have an excess of. Another distinction is the gas cylinder spring. The old versions had blue springs, although some early springs were black. The newer versions have red springs. Again, since this is OFM you will find new production guns with the thick barrel, tall LPA sight tower, and blue springs.
Here are some pics of the first gen barrel, and two versions of the third gen.

007.jpg

L to R: Third gen tall sight, third gen short sight, first gen short sight. Barrel thickness is different as well.

011.jpg

Third gen and first gen barrels with different barrel thickness.

008.jpg

Taller sight found on third gen barrels. Note position of roll pin and taller front sight ears.

012.jpg

Comparison of first gen barrel and sight and the third gen barrel and sight. Note that the taller third gen sight has the roll pin in a different location, and the gap between the sight blade and barrel on the first gen sight arrangement to the left. This is due to the taller third gen sight.

013.jpg

Side by side view of the first and third gen sight bodies.

Re: Some differences in the 930 SPX barrels

That was very helpful. I appreciate you posting up this information.

M24, Thanks for taking the time to get that info! Its gonna be very helpful to alot a folks!!!

Barrel Review

I am preparing to buy a rifled barrel for my 930. There are a few models out there, does anyone have any suggestions? My plans will be to hunt large game with the gun (Deer and Bear). Some considerations include rifling and scope mount. Also would like to hear of third party manufacturer experiences, not sure how many of those there are for the Mossberg 930.

Re: Barrel Review

53801.jpg

I would suggest going with the Mossberg 930 barrel 93030. I don't believe there are even any aftermarket barrels available at the moment.

so unless i've lost the gift of sight, Mossberg does not list these heavier barrels for sale on their site. is there a third party that may sell them?

I believe you can purchase one directly from Mossberg if you call but I will have to confirm that.

You're not going to find a listing for "Barrel, 930 SPX, 3rd Gen w/Heavy Profile & Tall FSB."
Mossberg is still shipping out bastard barrels that are thin profile with old sights, thin profile with pedestal and short sight, thin profile with tall sights, heavy profile with short sights, heavy profile with short sights and pedestal, and heavy profile with tall sights. Not to mention the additional variable of three spring colors on the gas system in all the above barrels.
Your best bet is to find someone selling one on one of the exchanges. You may be able to call OFM and order a barrel, and hope that they send you the thick barrel with tall sight and red spring. But you will be rolling the dice when you do so.
Aimpro may have some barrels that you could order. Havlin hasn't been authorized to sell the 930 parts from Mossberg, or they hadn't the last time I talked to them.

Buy a barrel or new gun for Trap?

I am fairly new to shotguns but picked up an SPX 930 for home defense (yes I know all about going with a semi vs pump so lets leave that thread for another day). My question is I want to go on the range and was thinking of getting another barrel. What should I get and what kind of choke do I need? I went to Mossberg site but the images are small and I don't really know what I want. What kind of sights, choke, length?? Any help appriciated, the gal at Mossberg said post here and folks would lend their help. If getting a new gun is a better way to go, I may go that direction. I don't hunt (unless we have a zombie outbreak), just for fun.

Re: Buy a barrel or new gun for Trap?

I would go with the 28" vented rib barrel form Mossberg. It comes with the Accu-Choke system. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=475 is a thread dedicated to chokes for the Mossberg 930 autoloader. I personally use the Trulock chokes and highly recommend them. As for sights most run a bead but at the moment I use a fiber optic that came with the barrel. The only issue you may run into with your SPX is the rear ghost ring sight if you have that model. Let us know if you have any further questions.

So when I buy the barrel I wil have a choice between a bead and a fiber optic sight? Or are both included with the purchase? I suppose I will have to remove my rear ghost ring and rail for best results whn aiming?

I think I will go this route until I know more about the sport and can make a better decision on a more expensive sport gun.

When you buy the Mossberg 28" vented ribbed barrel it generally comes with a fiber optic sight. They work great for trap but some really prefer a simple bead. If you decide that you want a simple bead then you can always swap it out down the road. They are very easy to change out. You won't be disappointed adding a second barrel to your Mossberg 930 autoloader. I use mine for trap, skeet and sporting clays regularly.

I have a similar question on another thread but have not heard back yet. I'm wondering if the rail could be left on and sighting on the 28" barrel with fiber optic sight would still work...or would you just see the edge of the rail cause it's up to high? If you end up getting it please post how it works out, and also if it's a huge pain to remove the rail and put it back on everytime you shoot clays then switch back for HD duty.

That barrel would work for what you are looking to do. Seems like a pretty good price for one but you may want to search around a bit. A modified choke would work just fine for trap as well. You can always add other chokes to the barrel down the road.

If you are really concentrating on trap, you may want to call Mossberg and ask if they have a longer 30" or even 32" barrel. I bought a 28" 835 barrel for my 590a1 which came with three choke tubes, but unless you're really a great and serious trap shooter, Modified will do it all. It's all I've used so far. The others might as well be paperweights :lol:

The price you listed is about $10 cheaper than going direct to mossberg. You might be able to beat the amazon price, but it's definitely a decent price, especially if you can get free shipping if you have that kind of patience :twisted:

Back